The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Rate GLC #24
* 0 0%
** 1 6.67%
*** 4 26.67%
**** 7 46.67%
***** 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

Exclamation Green lantern corps #24 Spoilers

John has blow up another planet.... Not! Team John is going after the Planet Nok for help.
A valiant fight against Relic but still not enough power against the one man army!

Last edited by A_Q Lantern; 10-09-2013 at 12:06 PM.
A_Q Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
reilly2040
Alan's Drycleaner

Still enjoying the heck out of this storyline. Although felt a bit sorry for the new recruits being regarded as cannon fodder by the more experienced Lanterns.

It'll be interesting to see what role the Indigo Lanterns play in things. With only 3 parts left to this though, I have to assume this story is more going to setup a new status quo than actively resolve anything beyond the immediate threat of Relic. I'm guessing we're going to be left with GLs with no home base and dwindling powers for a while.
reilly2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Why are the words "end of Oa" in the title of this thread?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Why are the words "end of Oa" in the title of this thread?
The issue says it all... KaBOOM!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

Writer Van Jensen on John Stewart's view of leadership, his origin as a Marine. Finally!
http://www.newsarama.com/19146-green...year-2014.html
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Q Lantern View Post
The issue says it all... KaBOOM!
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of writing "Spoiler Alert" when you include the actual spoiler in the thread title?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Eh, they can just call up Tom Kalmaku, right? He'll put the planet back together, complete with new Central Power Battery.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of writing "Spoiler Alert" when you include the actual spoiler in the thread title?
Should have highlighted the letterings. My Bad.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

*___________________*

This issue... this issue...

Full review:
http://greenlantern.co/review/green-...rps-24-review/

EDIT:
Oh yeah. I forgot again. There are spoilers in that link, so beware.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 10-09-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Great issue. Maybe my Mogo headquarters thoughts will go somewhere, though I can see Tom ruining that.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Well shit.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

I liked it. For some reason even the pot shots at Hal didn't bother me.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Mister Ed

I don't really WANT Hal to succeed at running the Corps, since I don't think that job is properly assigned to a single, short-lived, person, so I don't mind seeing evidence that he isn't up to it so much. If they end up pretending that some other single, short-lived person WOULD be fit for the job, then I'll start complaining. The Corps NEEDS the Guardians, IMHO, to seem at all plausible. Hal is fine as a stopgap while they reorient themselves, but I WANT it to be clear, by the time he hands the reins back over, that there is a reason the job is best filled by a larger group, of beings that by their nature are more capable of taking a longer and wider view of things.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
*___________________*

Full review:

EDIT:
Well said Star-Lantern! I'm just as bias as u r! Forever a fan! A fighter, a lover and a a leader!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #15
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I don't really WANT Hal to succeed at running the Corps, since I don't think that job is properly assigned to a single, short-lived, person, so I don't mind seeing evidence that he isn't up to it so much. If they end up pretending that some other single, short-lived person WOULD be fit for the job, then I'll start complaining. The Corps NEEDS the Guardians, IMHO, to seem at all plausible. Hal is fine as a stopgap while they reorient themselves, but I WANT it to be clear, by the time he hands the reins back over, that there is a reason the job is best filled by a larger group, of beings that by their nature are more capable of taking a longer and wider view of things.
Do you believe the Guardians are the only people in the universe with a wider view or that there are others out there? I agree that Hal should not be solely in charge, but I question and wonder whether only the Guardians should ever be the ones in charge or if there are other avenues to explore.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
Mister Ed

If there was another race LIKE the Guardians, immortal, and of (supposedly, though Geoff sabotaged this view pretty well) vast intellect, who have been first hand witnesses of vast swathes of both time and space, then sure, they could do the job. If they were motivated to do so, which of course is another piece of the puzzle. Though it is has been shifted a few times over the years, the Guardians generally have a strong motivation to shoulder the responsibility they have assumed, rooted in their own past.

If you don't have somebody like that to run things, you could have a group of people wielding power rings running around catching criminals, but you would lose the sort of implied epic, eternal nature of the Corps mission to literally guard the universe, since there would be nobody able to grasp things on that level.

That's part of the reason I REALLY hated what Geoff did to the Guardians. He didn't just have them fall, he portrayed them in such a way that they seemed unfitted to the task they were undertaking, and with flashbacks, tarnished them retroactively, so that they seemed like they were ALWAYS unworthy of it. Given how integral I feel they are to the very concept of the GLC, and how important their natures were, IMHO, to them filling their role in its mythos, by so badly distorting what they are and were Geoff did, I feel, serious violence to the GL mythos as a whole.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-10-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #17
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Oa's been blown up before. Sector Zero will be back. What, no poll?

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #18
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
If there was another race LIKE the Guardians, immortal, and of (supposedly, though Geoff sabotaged this view pretty well) vast intellect, who have been first hand witnesses of vast swathes of both time and space, then sure, they could do the job. If they were motivated to do so, which of course is another piece of the puzzle. Though it is has been shifted a few times over the years, the Guardians generally have a strong motivation to shoulder the responsibility they have assumed, rooted in their own past.

If you don't have somebody like that to run things, you could have a group of people wielding power rings running around catching criminals, but you would lose the sort of implied epic, eternal nature of the Corps mission to literally guard the universe, since there would be nobody able to grasp things on that level.

That's part of the reason I REALLY hated what Geoff did to the Guardians. He didn't just have them fall, he portrayed them in such a way that they seemed unfitted to the task they were undertaking, and with flashbacks, tarnished them retroactively, so that they seemed like they were ALWAYS unworthy of it. Given how integral I feel they are to the very concept of the GLC, and how important their natures were, IMHO, to them filling their role in its mythos, by so badly distorting what they are and were Geoff did, I feel, serious violence to the GL mythos as a whole.
I'm surprised many old beings in GLs end up being offshoots of the Guardians. The only other people that come to mind is the Monitor (even then he was from Oa). Is there anyone else around that long besides the New Gods?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

The Battle in Oa kinda reminds me of Pacific rim. Especially John's Giant exo suit.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Wow, shit just got real! I'm really surprised as to how much I'm enjoying this event. Venditti and Jensen have major balls for wiping out both the central power battery and Oa only 4 issues into their run, and it's paying off so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
*___________________*

Full review:

EDIT:
I would say nice review but this part ruins it:

"Hal Jordan continues to act impulsive and stupid. He refuses to heed Salaak and leaps into battle against Relic again. John doesn’t agree with Hal’s strategy, but decides to back Hal up so the idiot doesn’t have to go in alone, because John is a bro."

Calling Hal an impulsive and stupid idiot is really unnecessary. I get your a big John fan but that doesn't mean you have to hate on Hal, and the way you talk about him makes you sound like a jackass. Hal is a guy who rather fight to the end instead of quitting. Even if thats not always the best decision, it's worked out in his favor more times than once and it's one of the reasons why he is considered the greatest Green Lantern.
Though the new writers have definitely been over exaggerating that side of him a little too much, but hopefully overtime they'll improve to better understand Hal's character. So until then, stop giving Hal shit and give it to the guys writing him instead. Have a nice day

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Last edited by CeltiC5-27; 10-11-2013 at 08:23 AM.
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Jackass is a bit...harsh, isn't it?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I've got your review right HERE: http://indigotribe.wordpress.com/201...orps-vol-3-24/
Old 10-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just read it about an hour ago. I have to admit, this issue was really good. I'm not onboard with the direction they appear to be going (the GLC as a small band with a ship as a base of operations), but even still, the way they did it was very well done.

In fact, the stuff the team on GLC is doing far outshines anything going on in the flagship title. I'd say GLC is a B comic, GL is a C comic, while Red Lantern and New Guardians are D level comics. Larfleeze barely generates an F for me.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #24
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Aw, Dave, doesn't Larfleeze even get an F plus?

Coloration mistake which bothered me a little. If the core of the planet Oa was the heart of the green energy, why was the explosion yellow instead of green?

Really fond of the allegory to Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce. A great, familiar story to those of us in the Pacific Northwest. Follow the route sometime if you're ever out this way. Over a thousand miles of wandering through four or five states, and just short of Canada. Seems like the Corps will have a long and winding road ahead.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post

Coloration mistake which bothered me a little. If the core of the planet Oa was the heart of the green energy, why was the explosion yellow instead of green?
I'll go you one better: Why did they use the term EARTHquake TWICE in this issue? And one of the two people that said it wasn't even FROM Earth!