The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Rate GL #16
* 1 5.56%
** 1 5.56%
*** 4 22.22%
**** 5 27.78%
***** 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

The New 52 is a colossal retcon in and of itself. Everything is fair game. The problems start when we see retcons within the New 52.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
But Johns was behind the New 52. And he's decided that Tomar-Re should get a new death. So ...
Pretty sure he wasn't the only one behind it. At some point gotta stop blaming him for everything.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenone85 View Post
Pretty sure he wasn't the only one behind it. At some point gotta stop blaming him for everything.
Definitely not the only one, but I'll be damned if it wasn't his idea. After all, he's now in charge of overseeing all of DC's creative properties. Plug, GL is his own book.

So, his event + kinda pointless change in his own book = Geoffcon to me.

Edit: I'll grant the reboot status of the New 52 makes this call a bit iffy, but if you count it as a retcon (and there's a cse for that) it's squarely on Geoff Johns.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Didio stated that he wanted to do this after Infinite Crisis. So no it's not John's idea in regards to the New 52 reboot.

As for Tomar Re, I'm sure we'll find out more about his "death" in the next issue.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

But Dido didn't do it after Infinite Crisis.

Edit:
It's a different time now than it was then. Johns is a MUCH bigger player right now. It's also now his JOB to oversee DC's creative. In other words, giant changes like the new 52? Those are his JOB. This is exactly what he does now. So, yes. I place this on Johns. Although Dido probably aught to get an eaqual share of the blame.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 01-24-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #31
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Does Tomar Re have to be IN the ring?

We know Hal and Sinestro are, but he talks as if the dead, as in ALL of them, need to see Volthoom stopped. Maybe being in the ring is simply being connected to the dead and thusly, Tomar Re is just... dead. Hal and Sinestro are in the ring and connected to the dead and the folks in the robes are just plain ol' dead.

Would explain a likely escape in the future, too.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #32
Cyberium
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I may be biased due to reading all three new issues at once, but I liked the newest #16. The interaction between characters were good, and I like the part where Jordan and Sinestro tried to find a suitable successor and together it was Baz, half of each in a way, headstrong, willing to take shortcut on things, and result-first attitude. Despite his sudden appearance, I start to like him.

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.
Cyberium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #33
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Does Tomar Re have to be IN the ring?

We know Hal and Sinestro are, but he talks as if the dead, as in ALL of them, need to see Volthoom stopped. Maybe being in the ring is simply being connected to the dead and thusly, Tomar Re is just... dead. Hal and Sinestro are in the ring and connected to the dead and the folks in the robes are just plain ol' dead...
That's how I took it.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #34
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

They don't nessasarily have to be in the ring. It could have just served as a portal. After all, the captions never said "Meanwhile, inside of Black Hand's ring..."
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #35
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just don't see the point in even HAVING Tomar Re be dead. If COIE is wiped out and much of GL history is being rewritten on the fly, why not just have Tomar Re around like he never left? Just overwrite Tomar Tu, with him and move on like nothing happened? It wouldn't be the first dumb retcon they'd done, but at least THAT would have a positive end result.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #36
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I'd buy that for a dollar. Tomar Re was my favorite alien GL when I was a kid.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #37
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

This particular retcon doesn't bother me at all. But that's probably because I wasn't a GL fan at the time and have less of a connection to Tomar-re.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #38
jhpace1
Manhunter Repairman

Look at the complete turnaround of Green Lanterns on Earth. They went from Justice League members with legitimacy to "unknowns, possibly vigilantes" to full-out criminals and shoot-on-sight.

We need some respect for GLs on Earth.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
I just don't see the point in even HAVING Tomar Re be dead. If COIE is wiped out and much of GL history is being rewritten on the fly, why not just have Tomar Re around like he never left? Just overwrite Tomar Tu, with him and move on like nothing happened? It wouldn't be the first dumb retcon they'd done, but at least THAT would have a positive end result.
Yeah. I can groove with that. It's like they want to flirt with old continuity when it's handy but still have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want, even if it skullhumps that same continuity. The byproduct is that it's mindnumbingly INCONSISTENT and it comes off as a hackjob. At least to me it does. Takes what showed some potential in this last ish and just throws an unnecessary turd on it.

And I'm not a canon-wonk, either. I can usually let some stuff slide. But here lately I want to step back and tell Johns to make up his God damned mind.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #40
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

I feel like I've asked this before somewhere... but if they can pull out batteries from pocket dimensions at any point anywhere then there's really no fear of losing a charge is there...? And if that's the case why do some like Kyle frequently leave it in nyc, or Hal in his work locker?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #41
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLantern View Post
I do, but it does.
I do but, but it does not.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #42
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
I do but, but it does not.
At least we agree on the first part....
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #43
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I feel like I've asked this before somewhere... but if they can pull out batteries from pocket dimensions at any point anywhere then there's really no fear of losing a charge is there...? And if that's the case why do some like Kyle frequently leave it in nyc, or Hal in his work locker?
I don't know if Kyle leaves his in NYC since he's been in space for the last few years. And does Hal STILL leave it in his locker? I mean, he's been offworld for so long that he los this job at Ferris. So why would it still be there?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #44
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

This is exactly why the pocket universe should have been dropped and retconned away years ago. It only exists at the writer's need and convenience. One month the writer needs Hal to use it so he does. The next month requires Hal to come close to death when his ring expires so he doesn't mention it. The threat of death by a lantern's ring expiring is one of the GL mythos better crutches. I say get rid of the pocket universe gimmick; the benefit s don't outweigh the lapse in internal logic.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #45
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
This is exactly why the pocket universe should have been dropped and retconned away years ago. It only exists at the writer's need and convenience. One month the writer needs Hal to use it so he does. The next month requires Hal to come close to death when his ring expires so he doesn't mention it. The threat of death by a lantern's ring expiring is one of the GL mythos better crutches. I say get rid of the pocket universe gimmick; the benefit s don't outweigh the lapse in internal logic.
Agreed. I think it's a cool idea, but it does create some issues.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #46
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
I don't know if Kyle leaves his in NYC since he's been in space for the last few years. And does Hal STILL leave it in his locker? I mean, he's been offworld for so long that he los this job at Ferris. So why would it still be there?
Kyle had it in NYC during the Invictus arc. It was shown also in one of the Blue Beetle issues.

I'm already forgetting about some of the recent stories but wasn't the Keepers story supposed to have all the Lanterns looking after their own batteries now?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #47
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

So just because Baz has a tattoo on his arm that supposedly says "courage", we're supposed to go along with that. Hell, In real life you see a guy with "badass' or "stud" tattooed on his body, you immediately know he is a douche' bag that has to pump himself up by reading it everyday because he is such a loser. It threw me off of Baz's character immediately,,,hate him.
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #48
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #49
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Kyle had it in NYC during the Invictus arc. It was shown also in one of the Blue Beetle issues.

I'm already forgetting about some of the recent stories but wasn't the Keepers story supposed to have all the Lanterns looking after their own batteries now?
Yeah, I forgot about that. Kinda inconsistant.

Well, Sinestro also had his on Krugar (along with his yellow battery), so .... maybe they can open a portal to their batteries? Wherever they are? The pocket dimension is such a wierd concept when you toss in crap like that ...
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #50
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Does Tomar Re have to be IN the ring? We know Hal and Sinestro are, but he talks as if the dead, as in ALL of them, need to see Volthoom stopped. Maybe being in the ring is simply being connected to the dead and thusly, Tomar Re is just... dead. Hal and Sinestro are in the ring and connected to the dead and the folks in the robes are just plain ol' dead.
Speculation on my part follows. Yes, the dead are trapped in the ring. Doesn't matter whether COIE is retconned or not. Sinestro killed Tomar-Re (who, by the way, I am very, very glad to see again!).

The black ring by its very existence has ripped the souls of the dead from whatever afterlife, be it Korugarian, Earther, Xudarian, etc, the soul was destined for. The difference here is that Hal and Sinestro are trapped in the ring body and soul. The others are there in soul only. When the souls are put into the service of the black ring, their bodies are constructs or bodies that did not belong to them (such as the corpses of the Coastville Cemetery, which we saw a few issues back). That's why the ring zombies are so hard to kill.

And that's how Hal will rise as the greatest Black Lantern. He has the will to overcome being trapped. Old plot device. Those of you with long memories, and Big Daddy Dave you'll recognize it at once, recall the first Myrwhydden story. Hal went inside his own ring and worked "magic" that defeated the wizard, but he was actually operating his own ring from inside it. Because he was inside it, of course he was in contact with it. Whose will to operate the black ring is stronger? Hal, or Black Hand? Stay tuned, now that Baz and his little friend are on the scene in the Chamber of Whatever.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote