The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Rate GL #15
* 1 5.26%
** 3 15.79%
*** 3 15.79%
**** 8 42.11%
***** 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #101
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

It's sad that Johns has done more damage to GL than any other creator, so soon after making the brand a top seller.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #102
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

As long as Power Ring has been around, I'm shocked he never appeared by himself in a GL title. His only appearances are with the Syndicate in the JLA books, as far as I know.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #103
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'nortDoggie88 View Post
Please don't give Johns anymore ideas. It was bad enough the first time around. Come to think of it, what's going to happen to all of this color stuff once Johns leaves the book?
it'll survive unless some other writer makes a concerted effort to change things, same way the Speed Force did when Waid left Flash (and was an idea Ive NEVER really liked.........)

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #104
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
As long as Power Ring has been around, I'm shocked he never appeared by himself in a GL title. His only appearances are with the Syndicate in the JLA books, as far as I know.
It is strange. He's a decent villain. And if you think of it, JLA used to do that annual crossover with JSA (when it was alternate universe) and yet Alan still popped up in GL.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #105
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Indeed. They could've done a lot more with Power Ring, especially during the 1990s.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #106
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

nah. they were too busy trying to show us the trials & tribulations of both Kyle AND Hal (pre-ET natch) to bother, on top of which he was "erased" anyways..........

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #107
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I've always found it odd that Power Ring never showed up in Green Lantern vol 2 during the 60s or 70s. It seems like a natural idea; even moreso than in JLA or The Flash. GL utilized the antimatter universe and Qward, why not use Power Ring for a doppleganger villain? Like Space Cop mentioned, nothing kept them from using Alan Scott in GL.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 AM   #108
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
I've always found it odd that Power Ring never showed up in Green Lantern vol 2 during the 60s or 70s. It seems like a natural idea; even moreso than in JLA or The Flash. GL utilized the antimatter universe and Qward, why not use Power Ring for a doppleganger villain? Like Space Cop mentioned, nothing kept them from using Alan Scott in GL.

That does sound really odd, Power Ring would've been a great GL Villain back then.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #109
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I think DC viewed the Crime Syndicate as a group that shouldn't be broken up so they could be saved for the JSA. Also, Gardner Fox may have been allowed to keep them in reserve, and later writers just followed tradition. And then by the time the next wave of writers came in the 70s, they were yound guys who wanted to shake things up. Anyway, those are ideas that I have. I've never seen an interview with any of the creators of the time giving a reason one way or another.

Maybe it's just that nobody cared to. Kind of a wasted opportunity to not do it at least once.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #110
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

As a GL fan, I've always felt Power Ring had a lot of potential, but he kind of sucked all on his own. In his appearances he was beaten far too easily, and the later incarnations of the Crime Syndicate were really focused on Ultraman, Owlman, and Superwoman over Jonny Quick and Power Ring. The best version of PR was the Stewart analogue in the pages of the "syndicate rules" storyline, none of the rest really got to show their personality. I think the worst version of the character was in the Crisis on Two Earths JLA OVA. He didn't even have a proper power ring in that and wasn't even referred to by name.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #111
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

Quote:
I think DC viewed the Crime Syndicate as a group that shouldn't be broken up so they could be saved for the JSA. Also, Gardner Fox may have been allowed to keep them in reserve, and later writers just followed tradition. And then by the time the next wave of writers came in the 70s, they were yound guys who wanted to shake things up. Anyway, those are ideas that I have. I've never seen an interview with any of the creators of the time giving a reason one way or another.

Maybe it's just that nobody cared to. Kind of a wasted opportunity to not do it at least once.
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #112
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Okay so I looked up Volthoom to figure out who he is, because I have never heard of him until this issue, and I'm kind of confused. Alot of people are saying that he is Power Ring and I thought he was too, but from what I read he was actually a monk that was killed by Power Ring.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #113
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
Okay so I looked up Volthoom to figure out who he is, because I have never heard of him until this issue, and I'm kind of confused. Alot of people are saying that he is Power Ring and I thought he was too, but from what I read he was actually a monk that was killed by Power Ring.
Sorry about that. Volthoom isn't Power Ring. He was alternately the man who gave the man his power ring or the spirit controlling and powering it. Since he was always connected to the character Power Ring (the evil GL) we just flowed into a conversation about him/them.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #114
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Finally read this issue all the way through. I enjoyed it.

Can't wait to see what happens to Hal and Sinestro. I'm also looking forward to Rise of the Third Army.

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 01-11-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #115
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Goddamn Baz has to go. Every issue with him in the spotlight and Hal on the back burner is an enormous buzzkill. Fucking terrible.
I don't like Baz and I never will. He's an totally out of place character. Johns and Didiot have brought him up because of political reasons. No more no less.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #116
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
I don't like Baz and I never will. He's an totally out of place character. Johns and Didiot have brought him up because of political reasons. No more no less.
Don't forget Johns' ego.
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #117
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

I still fail to see where Johns' ego comes from.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #118
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

My anus.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #119
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

was...that suppose to be... funny?
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #120
Mosaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenone85 View Post
was...that suppose to be... funny?
Well.... .. I laughed.

Now we all know that Johns ego is straight outta Tommy Boy's anus. Thanks for the enlightment.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #121
Mosaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLantern View Post
Don't forget Johns' ego.
You're right. Never underestimate Johns' ego. The DC Universe has become his personal playground of his wet fanboy dreams.

WB should fire Didiot and Johns out of their positions, and then re-hire them as simple writers, so that they can't wreak that kind of havoc in the DC Universe, like they do since they are in charge.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #122
Mosaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Indeed. They could've done a lot more with Power Ring, especially during the 1990s.
Indeed. Damn, I miss the good ol' nineties. Everything is fucking messed up right now. And it only will get worse.