The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Rate GL #13
* 4 17.39%
** 5 21.74%
*** 7 30.43%
**** 6 26.09%
***** 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #51
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

And, let's be honest, that's just not important anymore. Moving forward instead of fixating on the past is what really needs to be done.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #52
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

People who doubt Hal was Parallax are overthinking things. It's not like it was mentioned all the time in Vol 4 anyway. Why would they mention it out of the blue?

Reprinting old comics would be a foolhardy effort because not everything in those comics are valid anymore. Case in point, ET. ET makes no mention of space paracites and it probably mentioned Reign of the Supermen at the beginning, so to work it'd really need to be rewritten. Kyle's best stories involve Jade, Major Force, and Alan Scott and you'd need to rewrite or redraw a lot of them just to make them fit.

Blackest Night is another example. Clearly it happened, but it couldn't have happed as it was. None of the main heroes have died, Martian Manhunter never knew Hal ... not even the GL issues are the same. You can't really reprint any of it as part of the New 52.

As annoyed as we may be as fans, I think it may be even worse if they try to answer these questions. Because they'll just contradict themselves later.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #53
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
People who doubt Hal was Parallax are overthinking things...
I agree. We know War of the Green Lanterns happened to some extent (it was necessary background to the main volume and RL) which heavily involved the entities. My opinion is those are still on the table until we read something like Hal has always been good and has never died.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #54
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I agree. We know War of the Green Lanterns happened to some extent (it was necessary background to the main volume and RL) which heavily involved the entities. My opinion is those are still on the table until we read something like Hal has always been good and has never died.
I don't think WotGLs has to be retconned at all. It was probably around then that they knew they were going to be doing SOME kind of reboot, so it stands to reason that that story is probably the most stable.

Birghtest Day, however, is only mostly stable. If only because of the appearance of the Specter.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #55
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Instead of retconning things out of GL history, they'd be better off just going on and not mentioning certain things in the past again. Hell, that's a time honored tradition in comics!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #56
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
Instead of retconning things out of GL history, they'd be better off just going on and not mentioning certain things in the past again. Hell, that's a time honored tradition in comics!
This.

Trying to nail down a consistent history that wouldn't be a giant retcon party and retelling shindig would be impossible. Hal's supposed to be brash and young AND GL is supposed to be somewhat continuing the storylines regardless of the Spew52? Whatever. Just call it already.

My money still says they're hedging their bets. If they get to push out a bunch of new stories, they coddle the balls of the writers that may be pissing and moaning about being pigeonholed by continuity all in an environment that still smells AltU to me. And as long as New 52 sells books, run with it until the steam is lost and you can essentially "reset" what you did. Enter Pandora, stretch a giant all-title event into the books, and blammo, we're back to where we were.

Personally I blame Morrison and Liefeld. Don't know why, but it's easy enough to do.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #57
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post

Personally I blame Morrison and Liefeld. Don't know why, but it's easy enough to do.
Morrison? Multiversity Morrison? Everything-is-in-plus-the-kitchen-sink Morrison? He has to be one of the biggest fan of old comics there is.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #58
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

And he often takes it waaayyy too far.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #59
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Morrison? Multiversity Morrison? Everything-is-in-plus-the-kitchen-sink Morrison? He has to be one of the biggest fan of old comics there is.
Can you not let me hate in peace?
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #60
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Can you not let me hate in peace?
Oh, very well. Hate away.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #61
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

I hated this issue. Too much going on with Baz, he's been introduced way too ealry. Like most are saying we don't even have a good back story on our current GL's so Baz is gumming up the works. Horrible character as well.
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #62
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

Alright so I bought this issue because I want to buy all the issue of Green Lantern and Simon is growing on me. This issue was pretty good, I honestly believe it's just Simon Baz Secret Origin and like Secret Origin this is a good story just at the wrong time. I hope we see a little more of Hal, Sinestro, Black Hand and Agent Fed.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #63
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

You all are missing the central point of the New 52. It's a long-range marketing effort, and a fairly successful one; for the first time in recent collective memory, DC leads Marvel in some sales figures. But of COURSE they are hedging their bets! Interest in the New 52 will wane and they'll have to do something "new" and "spectacular" to keep the interest level going (and make it damn soon, people, my drop list keeps growing).

Summer Event Warning: Pandora has screwed with the time lines! They are shattered! They need to be repaired! They can always play the Pandora card and "make it right" again! So it may be the present disjointed continuity which goes away, not the 75 years of the past. Depends on sales and boredom.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #64
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
...They can always play the Pandora card and "make it right" again! So it may be the present disjointed continuity which goes away, not the 75 years of the past. Depends on sales and boredom.
Not 75. 26. Crisis re-wrote DC continuity about as much as New 52 (not to mention the soft compression of Zero Hour).
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #65
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Not 75. 26. Crisis re-wrote DC continuity about as much as New 52 (not to mention the soft compression of Zero Hour).
OH GOD! Stop with the reminders. Every decade or so I have to relearn an entire univers' history,,,too overwhelming,,,,,
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #66
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
It is often easy to forget that, coming from the standpoint of a GL fan as I do. Crisis did almost nothing to GL history.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #67
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I dunno if Crisis rewrote as much as the New 52. Sure a lot was changed, but many pre-Crisis stories were still in continuity. Even years later, we had Booster Gold visiting the Great Darkness Saga in his own book, for instance. The same can't be said of the New 52, where every single chaarcter has an entirely new backstory. Save for GL, who has, at best, spotty past continuity.

Zero Hour wasn't so bad. Sure there was a lot of compression, but the compression was always implied before (since nobody ages in comics) and it didn't really overwrite anything major.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #68
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

What pisses me almost as much as this new52 suck continuity are those annoying commercial pages and previews from other series in the comic books. In the " older" comic books there were always commercials in between. But after I finished reading the last GL, GLC, etc. Issues. I thought WTF?. How many pages for which I payed 2,99€ did actually contained a progress for the whole story. Maybe I'm starting to get a little old or senile, but I find them harder to ignore than the X-Ray glasses and spycam, matchbox cars commercial pages back in the days. I give a flying fart about Superman and the new Green Arrow TV series. I don't need a GL book to be informed that there is a new Superman story arc. Maybe I only had a bad day while reading. But this overflow of commercial crap bothered me extremely this time.

Last edited by Mosaic; 11-04-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote