The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #51
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
The message boards also exposed the lettercols as being phony and heavily censored to accent the praise the comics receive.
Well, it's funny because if you read Silver Age letter cols they included very critical letters, but by the 90s they all seemed white washed.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #52
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Spaced months to years apart. And they lasted a few issues at most. Nor did they require years of back reading for them to make even a tiny bit of sense.
Starting with GL Vol. 3 #56 every other issue was a crossover with New Titans, JLA etc up until #100.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #53
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
Starting with GL Vol. 3 #56 every other issue was a crossover with New Titans, JLA etc up until #100.
There was a guest star in almost every Kyle story. They were trying to work him into the DCU and coax the fans of the guest stars to buy GL. I didn't like it because he was being babied that way and brought along so slowly but I have to admit that it worked.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #54
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
There was a guest star in almost every Kyle story. They were trying to work him into the DCU and coax the fans of the guest stars to buy GL. I didn't like it because he was being babied that way and brought along so slowly but I have to admit that it worked.
You know, I couldn't think of any reason why so few Kyle stories made it to Germany (Dino verlag collected exactly 9 issues of them) back in the days.
And it never occured to me that a lot of them wouldn't make sense without Guy Gardner/New Titans/Darkstars/JLA etc so they weren't brought here.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #55
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Well, it's funny because if you read Silver Age letter cols they included very critical letters, but by the 90s they all seemed white washed.
You've got a point there. I've seen that too. I think it started in the late 80s. Jim Shooter has admitted that they often made up letters to fill a LC or to talk about a subject nobody wrote in about.

I still miss them. They were a part of fanboy comic history, fans taking part in comics and having their comments immortalized in them. Even with the bad, I'd still like to see them back. I mean would anyone really rather have the nU52 newspage? I don't think I've ever actually read every balloon on one of those turds.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #56
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

You know, I suspected that some of those letters were made up. But what tipped me off to the bullshit was that during the entire period after Emerald Twilight there was only one letter that criticized it. The lettercols were full of rapt praise for what DC had done, even though I personally sent three letters that disapproved of it.

I knew a guy who wrote for Pro Wrestling Illustrated. He once printed a "letter" that supposedly came from woman who we both know. She said she got a couple of phone calls at her house from people who were bitching about what she had supposedly written, and she didn't know what they were talking about.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #57
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
I knew a guy who wrote for Pro Wrestling Illustrated. He once printed a "letter" that supposedly came from woman who we both know. She said she got a couple of phone calls at her house from people who were bitching about what she had supposedly written, and she didn't know what they were talking about.
Wait, Pro Wrestling letter columns are fake?! That's....appropriate, actually.

You know what I really enjoyed? The Letter Column in Mosaic. Now THAT was a lettercol that had no problem printing critical letters. It was great.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #58
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

If they brought back a "Letters by Lantern Light" column (or similar), it would be full of GJ hate and furious anger about the current state of the book. All content that nobody would want to print.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #59
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
If they brought back a "Letters by Lantern Light" column (or similar), it would be full of GJ hate and furious anger about the current state of the book. All content that nobody would want to print.
No. They would GET a bunch of letters like that, but the column would be full of fawning praise. And let's be honest. They could easily fill the column with positive letters without even having to make them up. There are plenty of people who like the comic currently, or at least would be willing to ignore their misgivings for the chance to see their name in print in the letter column...
Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #60
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

We last had a letters column in GL v4 #20, where scores of comic professionals fawned over Johns' run every few pages, fluffing up the book.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #61
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

They sucked his dick so hard, I think it probably fell off.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #62
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
scores of comic professionals fawned over Johns' run every few pages, fluffing up the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
They sucked his dick so hard, I think it probably fell off.
Definitely "fluffing" was the right word.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #63
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

It was odd. Why were they treating Goeff like he was dying? Why did Goeff wrap up Green Lantern,and make a new Green Lantern to play with? I am telling you guys something was happining or Happened behind the scenes of Goeff and Green Lantern. I wonder if we will ever find out what?

Also who gives a fuck about what Ed Boon thinks?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #64
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I am telling you guys something was happining or Happened behind the scenes of Goeff and Green Lantern. I wonder if we will ever find out what?
Johns was told by his boss (Diane Nelson) that he's only allowed to write two books a month.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #65
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Well honestly I think it would be hard for anyone to write more than three good comics a month. Three is the limit, and since Geoff has other duties at DC then two is enough.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:31 AM   #66
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I think Geoff Johns would be hard pressed to write ONE good comic a month. Good decision to stop letting him stink up the joint with three or four.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #67
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Lettercols were pretty good at times, and pretty asinine at times. A hundred and one ways Red Kryptonite can affect Superman. New powers and personalities for the Legion of Super-Heroes. Bits of Bizarro business. The time the late Jerry Bails got three letters published in one month, under three different names, mailed from three different cities. Before the Web, before chat rooms, before Twitter, it was the mails that gave the editorial people feedback on readership. Point out the boo-boos. Rant. Rave. Do anything. Just write, so we know you're out there.

Lettercols gave those of us who missed an issue a chance to pick up at least a part of its flavor. One of the reason I like to collect back issues is the letters. The whining. "WHY does GL think it's always HIS job to save the Justice League??? WHY can't someone ELSE save the League this month???"

But they won't bring them back. Editing letters takes too much time.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #68
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Ahh, Jerry Bails. I wish I could have met him when he was alive. I would have loved to spent a day hanging out with he and Roy Thomas, shooting the shit about the JSA and All-Star Comics.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #69
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Vol 4 went wrong by ending and Letting Venditti take over. God Knows it wasen't perfect,not even close. However I did not resent buying it. Every time I pick up Green Lantern now I feel like some fetish sicko who pays to have a chick spit on me and kick me in the nuts.

It alsmot every 10 years or So now DC trys to do a GL fan purge.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #70
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Vol 4 went wrong by ending and Letting Venditti take over. God Knows it wasen't perfect,not even close. However I did not resent buying it. Every time I pick up Green Lantern now I feel like some fetish sicko who pays to have a chick spit on me and kick me in the nuts.

It alsmot every 10 years or So now DC trys to do a GL fan purge.
I'd have more fun watching a chick spit on you and kick you in the nuts than read GL every month. At least I'd be entertained.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #71
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 AM   #72
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern