The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Default Green Lantern wiki page

So, my brother works for wikipedia. He just informed me that a GL wiki page has been approved and should be up and running ready for work.

We shpould all pitch in and get this badboy running. It could have the potential to be the best, most accurate, up-to-date archive for all things Green Lantern.

Awesome news. If anyone is wondering what wikia is. They are wiki sites dedicated to one subject, movie, cartoon, place, book, etc. That can be edited and added to with pictures and information. which is all closely moderated more so than a general wikipedia page is. Some popular wikia sites include; Wookipeidia, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Star Trek.

So here's the link:
http://greenlantern.wikia.com/

I'm excited, I wanted one to get made for a while now. Since my bro has worked for them, I've been nudging for it even more.

Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 05-13-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Yes, yes...I concur.

I do believe I have seen this idea brought up before... ..

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

This may be the route for our database to go -- series of links to entries here.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

not meaning to downplay this, but wat about the info from the main site??

I dont see Y we would have to create a wikia if the main page is already pretty comprehensive.......

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Because you can go more in detail with characters, villains, places, powers, weapons, etc. With much more info and pictures. It's solely for GL and nothing else. It's designed to be an ultimate information archive. It should be updated and grown to a point where it surpasses the regular wiki page.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

It's also the first resource everyone checks for info. Therefore, it should be as accurate as possible.

Plus, we could link everything back to here

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
TheCorpse

A GL wiki sounds interesting. I've made alot of edits on Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki (mostly anonymous), and I've contributed to Wikipedia a few times as well (I'm the one who originally wrote the Corpse section of the Green Lantern Corps article on Wikipedia). So maybe I'll drop by the new GL wiki and contribute a little.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but if you want to kick-start the articles for the new wiki, you can copy and paste articles from Wikipedia to the new wiki. When the Star Wars wiki was first started, most of their articles were copied from wikipedia, then expanded from that. You can do the same thing for the GL wiki.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
listerine

There already is a DCU wiki here.
Is there a reason to create a seperate GL wiki when this one already exists?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Yes. It's for strictly Green Lantern only. Why wouldn't we want an informational archive on just Green Lantern?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
listerine

My point is that to have a complete GL archive, it would have expand to include many other aspects of the DCU which are closely tied the GL mythos, such as the Justice League, the New Gods, all the Crisis events, Superboy-Prime, etc...
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via AIM to Lantern Kreon Send a message via Yahoo to Lantern Kreon

I think it's a fine idea. Lots of other characters have their own wikis, why not GL?
Lantern Kreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

Aye, now it's just about finding wiki authors who are MOTIVATED to write these things....
Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
SelinaStarheart

I think this is really good, you know how many times I've gone looking for info about soething and havent been able to find it or its been limited? Its way better to have an entire site devoted solely to GL, Even some character wiki pages dont have enough info on them. This would defiantly be way better and a great way to spread the word of all things GL and GL related.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #14
GLC2814.4

Agreed, and I don't understand what the negatives are. It's just another place to get more info on the awesomeness that is the GL universe. HOW is that a bad thing.?

My Dos Centavos
Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Is this project mostly forgotten? The page has not changed much at all in the last couple of months. I thought someone at least by now would have copied the entire Secret Files issue into that place.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 AM   #16
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

It all depends on us. Anyone can go there and add to it. I just don't have the time personally. The "project" can't neccessarily "die". It's there for us to do with what we plese. Then if there are any incorrect submissions, they are reviewed, checked, and corrected by "administrators" of sorts. My bro being one of these becasue he works for wikia, that's what he does.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:59 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I'll be taking a crack at it... one of these days. I want it to be a big part of the site.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 AM   #18
Limelantern

Thing is, for years now we have all used Dr. Mouse's Book of Oa. Which is a very thorough source of pre vol.4 info. I'm not sure if anyone else has the time or backissues handy to make anything that can rival that place.

Last edited by Limelantern; 07-31-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Limelantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 AM   #19
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

I'm working on it in my spare time, i've increased the amount of pages by about 10%. I'm going to be working on it especially over the next several days. I think with the wealth of knowledge available in this membership it should be easy for us to fill a lot of it in.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
Prime
Attention Whore

I'm working on an Arkillo page right now and then may be moving on to an Amon Sur page.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #21
Limelantern

If people are still working on this there is one of the best explanations given for the emotional spectrum I have seen on the DC boards. From a guy names quaring

Re: Red Lanterns, Black Lanterns, Alpha lanterns, orange lanterns?
Posted: Aug 9, 2008 1:17 PM in response to: batgray Reply

There exists within the DC Universe an emotional spectrum. A psychic energy field that is created by the motivational emotions of every living mind in the universe. I say "motivational emotions" because they're simply mental states that motivate people into taking action, but they're called emotions in order to keep it simple. Each "color" in the spectrum represents a specific emotion. Red = hatred, orange = averice/greed, yellow = fear, green = willpower, blue = hope, indigo = compassion and violet = love.

When the Guardians of the Universe were creating an intergalactic police force, in order to bring order to the cosmos, many billions of years ago, they chose to tap into the green portion of the emotional spectrum. They built a Central Power Battery to tap into and store the will power of the universe. And it is from this battery that the Green Lantern rings get their power from.

Green, as willpower, is in the center of the spectrum. It is entirely influenced by the mind, while the other colors are able to influence the mind right back. The further away from the center of the spectrum a color is the more influence it has over someone. By choosing green the Guardians gave their Green Lantern Corps a power source that won't taint them with emotion and they can use entirely for the pursuit of universal order.

Recently the rogue Green Lantern, and long time GL villain, Sinestro, created his own Lantern Corps. Their rings are powered by the yellow part of the spectrum. Each member of this corps was chosen because they had the ability to instil great fear in others, and fear is what their rings are powered by. Also, because yellow is just slightly further down the spectrum from green the yellow rings influenced the members of this corps, probably making them more agressive. The Sinestro corps and Green Lantern Corps recently fought a war, during which the Sinestro Corps lost, but was not entirely defeated. There are still members of the Sinestro Corps roaming around, but they're no longer organized together.

Recently other lantern corps have begun to tap into the other parts of the emotional spectrum. Each corps is being created for a different reason. Some are just seeking power, while others want revenge. Some want to do good and fight against a prophesy that foretells a great war between the various lantern corps.

And that's what the Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps series' are leading up to. A war of the lanterns.

I should also point out that because each ring is tapping into different emotions their power will be different. Anger will be a savage power that boils inside of and spews out of the Red Lanterns. Avarice will impell the Orange Lanterns to week out more power and to hoard all they manage to take. I don't know enough about the others to describe what they're like, but each corps will be given it's own particular theme and "personality".

As for the Alpha Lanterns, that you mentioned in the title, they're a part of the Green Lantern Corps. They are Green Lanterns that have been modified to police the Green Lantern Corps. Think of them as internal affairs of a police organization. They have the power to drain the rings of a Green Lantern and arrest them if they have broken the laws of the Green Lantern Corps.

And the Black Lanterns will show up some time in 2009, as part of the big Blackest Night event. They represent the black part of the emotional spectrum, which is no emotion, no life. They represent death. The Black Lantern rings will be granted to the dead, causing them to rise again and to try to spread the death across the cosmos and bring the Blackest Night to the universe, where no life will exist.

I hope that helps.

Any questions?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #22
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Thing is, for years now we have all used Dr. Mouse's Book of Oa. Which is a very thorough source of pre vol.4 info. I'm not sure if anyone else has the time or backissues handy to make anything that can rival that place.
ye of little faith! Andrew has every god damn thing!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 AM   #23
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

I think near 1/2 of the pages are mine now, yes that is a challenge. I am mostly focused on the sectors and planets, waiting for someone to fill us in on all of the GLs.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
GLJIMT

I've added some stuff now - like the Death of Ch'p how could anyone leave that out?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #25
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
I've added some stuff now - like the Death of Ch'p how could anyone leave that out?
I only left it out because I was in a hurry to try and chronicle everything else

Last edited by GLJIMT; 08-18-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Cid Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote