The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
View Poll Results: How good was it?
* 1 16.67%
** 0 0%
*** 1 16.67%
**** 1 16.67%
***** 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee
 
jhpace1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Posts: 271
Angry Injustice: Year Two #002 "Oh my god, they killed (spoiler)! You bastards!"

Major spoilers below, old-style, just in case...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Ok. This comic that follows the older, pre-52new 2011 reboot starts off with Superman trying to get information out of Commissioner Gordon. Superman wants to know where Batman, aka Bruce Wayne, is hiding. But Gordon doesn't know, and isn't telling. Bruce Wayne is actually being hidden by the magic users Zatanna and Dr. Fate, allowing Wayne to heal.

But that's not the story you wanted to know about. It seems Kyle Rayner has been away from Earth for a year and is just returning home. But he is caught by Sinestro , along with four of the Sinestro Corps. This would appear to be the post-Rebirth Kyle and the GL Corps, as well as the Sinestro Corps, but before Brightest Day, when Sinestro became a Green Lantern again.

Sinestro tells Kyle Earth has changed, is changing the heroes there to be more like him. Kyle doesn't believe Sinestro of course, but Sinestro is very short with Kyle. He rips off Kyle's ring, and the finger with it, allowing Kyle to be quartered to death by his SC members and die in the vacuum of outer space. This is the cold, irredeemable Sinestro, one still plotting against the Guardians of the Universe, one who called Kyle an "alley rat". This Sinestro doesn't even have a flicker of respect for this Kyle Rayner, not as a Green Lantern, or as a White Lantern. This Sinestro says "There is a war coming. You won't see it."

Goodbye, Kyle Rayner of Earth. You rebuilt the GLC after Hal Jordan destroyed it, you got depowered from your unique power ring and as Ion to just another GLC member, and then you were killed by Sinestro before you could get back home.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends
 
Booster Beetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,941
Default

So that's why he's not on that cover with Hal John and Guy
__________________


Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,687
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I thought it was funny how easy he was killed.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends
 
Booster Beetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,941
Default

The art is wonderful but Kyle's cold-blooded murder was complete and utter bullshit
__________________


Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee
 
jhpace1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Posts: 271
Default

That's my conclusion as well. It was done to keep him out of the game, so Hal Jordan gets more spotlight.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
IonFan
Forum Member
 
IonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 20,089
Default

THAT'S BULLSH!T


they couldn't even give him a epic fight with a epic death could they
__________________

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,687
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
THAT'S BULLSH!T


they couldn't even give him a epic fight with a epic death could they
No, because he's no Hal.

__________________

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-21-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends
 
Booster Beetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,941
Default

His death was pointless, Taylor made him look like a poozer who doesn't know how to use the ring, and Sinestro wouldn't kill him in cold blood like that
__________________


Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #9
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

I knew it would be like that. That is why I did not any part of it. In the Game they bitch out GL not as bad as poor Captain Marvel,but the still have him half powered and weak.

As a Sinestrologest. I don't see Sinestro having much problem dealing with Kyle,but I think the character desevres batter treatment. I am really starting to hate DC. Lois gets Killed and every moaral lesson Clark learned from the kents go out the window. It was smart in Kingdom Come when he just retired. But turning him into a villian is done to much. They did it on Tas and they did it on Justice League.
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #10
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend
 
"Chosen"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MS "Blu Phi"
Posts: 3,499
Default

If only he'd die in Earth Prime.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #11
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother
 
Evergreen City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,018
Blog Entries: 4
Default

People are gonna die in this series. It's not Scribblenauts. You can't call up 2,000 DC characters and be able to write them all well. As for time frames, I'm still parsing the continuity for the jumping-off point. Post-Doomsday, post-Clark and Lois marriage, but did the Final Night and Parallax ever really happen? Were Ollie and Dinah married (yet)? Is it one Earth, two Earths, new Earth, infinite Earths?

We could nitpick for days. Doesn't matter. Just enjoy. It's an Imaginary Story worthy of the 60's, IMHO. And for those of you that feel Kyle is the best GL, my sympathies. Been there, done that, with a fave getting killed off.
__________________

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Last edited by Evergreen City; 01-22-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #12
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles
 
Marvelous Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 20,112
Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy
Default

KRMD!
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 AM   #13
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends
 
Booster Beetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,941
Default

?

I hope that doesn't mean Kyle Rayner must die...
__________________


Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 AM   #14
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles
 
Marvelous Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 20,112
Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy
Default

KRMD!
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #15
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends
 
Booster Beetle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,941
Default

__________________


Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #16
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

I don't think Sinestro would kill him. I think it would be more symbolic for him to put fear into him. To say look what I have done to your torch bearer.You can fight fear all you want but it is a natrual reaction. You will eventually give in. If we can break Hal Jordan's will and we can estinguish the light of your torch bearer what chance dose anybody else have? I would rather see Sinestro look into his eyes and say you live because you are no threat to me,You never were and you shall never be. You are a mere alley rat,you were born nothing and you will die nothing,but not before you see the Sinestro corps triumpth.


Earthling fear the dark,the unknown. but it is the light that they will learn to fear the yellow light of Sinestro.


See that's way more scary. Comic book death means
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,687
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I disagree. He'd love to convert Hal because some part of him still respects, even admires Hal, but he despises Kyle and he has been known to kill what he despises. He's not a torture fanatic in and of itself. He would want to do the most efficient thing and that was to kill him.

Of course, from a narrative point, this was necessary. The only reason it's there is because Taylor knew if he ignored it fanboys would say "Kyle would never allow this crap!"

And, on the other hand, he couldn't afford a 50-page battle royale in a digital comic not about Kyle. I don't think it was even unreasonable. Kyle fought the good fight and was outgunned. It wouldn't have been any better in the theoretical 50-page war. The villain waylaying and fighting dirty is actually an indication of the hero's strength. That's the way heroes like Cyrano de Bergerac, Huo Yuanjia, Leon, or even antiheroes like Sonny Corleone meet their end.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 24,308
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
His death was pointless, Taylor made him look like a poozer who doesn't know how to use the ring, and Sinestro wouldn't kill him in cold blood like that
I agree; Kyles death serves NOTHING other than: 1)to stir up that shock value which gets fans talking, and 2)to show that OTHER forces external to Earth (much like 'seid & Apokolips were) paying attention to the developments on it, but even *then* right now I cant fathom wat purpose it served OR how it later on involves Hal going Yellow.

personally, it was a waste of an ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I knew it would be like that. That is why I did not any part of it. In the Game they bitch out GL not as bad as poor Captain Marvel,but the still have him half powered and weak.

As a Sinestrologest. I don't see Sinestro having much problem dealing with Kyle,but I think the character desevres batter treatment. I am really starting to hate DC. Lois gets Killed and every moaral lesson Clark learned from the kents go out the window. It was smart in Kingdom Come when he just retired. But turning him into a villian is done to much. They did it on Tas and they did it on Justice League.
honestly, much moreso than the idea of him going bad, *Im* tired of the reason he does so being Lois getting ganked; despite everything Ive read about him over the years of me being a comic fan *and* a Supes-fan, I dont buy that _her sole death_ would be the trigger that sets him up as planetary dictator/bad guy.

HOWEVER, I will say that this time it wasnt strictly that which altered his behavior, but a number of other factors over a decent length of time which steadly moved him in that direction (Diana lying about Arthur's apology, his parents getting snatched by the govt JUST BECAUSE, Darkseid sending Kalibak cause some problems becuz "the kryptonian is weak", Bat's ill-fated break-in of the FoS.......), and we even saw that he *was trying to* come back from this new path he was going down, but then something *else* would just come along & simply fuck w/him some more.

I think Bats summation of everything (in that alot of his actions came from not taking time to grieve) is pretty accurate, but theres was quite a bit more that went on this time (as Naysay wouldve said: things are "more nuanced" this time) to bring us to where we are, and thats why Im digging this story so much.





Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #19
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 24,308
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I disagree. He'd love to convert Hal because some part of him still respects, even admires Hal, but he despises Kyle and he has been known to kill what he despises. He's not a torture fanatic in and of itself. He would want to do the most efficient thing and that was to kill him.
no, thats just the GJ-rework of the character; read some of those SA-books, and U'll see that thats NOT the case.




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Kyle, dead?

Still, he lies on in the new 52!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #21
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 24,308
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Kyle, dead?

Still, he lives on in the new 52!
fixed




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #22
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 25,687
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.no, thats just the GJ-rework of the character; read some of those SA-books, and U'll see that thats NOT the case.
Tazer
The depiction of him here owed much more too Johns than his Silver-Age mustache-twirling, clueless pirate. And I have read the majority of (if not every) Silver-Age GL appearance of Sinestro.
__________________
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #23
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother
 
Evergreen City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,018
Blog Entries: 4
Default

It's not easy to write a prequel to a hit game. The game designers decided who'd be in the game, and who wouldn't. Now, the prequel writer has to fill in the gaps and get rid of the characters that don't fit. There will be more casualties. If you really want to cheat, check the game for the list of interactive characters and see who isn't there.

Why did Superman go nuts? Not just because Lois and his unborn child died, but because HE WAS TRICKED INTO KILLING THEM HIMSELF. Goodbye Joker. And once the line is crossed, the next murder becomes easier. And the logic inside the "hero" begins to change. Very mature story line. This series connects seamlessly with the first Injustice arc of 12 issues. Loving it, loving it, loving it...a GREAT tale in the old Imaginary tradition.
__________________

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:40 AM   #24
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I disagree. He'd love to convert Hal because some part of him still respects, even admires Hal, but he despises Kyle and he has been known to kill what he despises. He's not a torture fanatic in and of itself. He would want to do the most efficient thing and that was to kill him.

Of course, from a narrative point, this was necessary. The only reason it's there is because Taylor knew if he ignored it fanboys would say "Kyle would never allow this crap!"

And, on the other hand, he couldn't afford a 50-page battle royale in a digital comic not about Kyle. I don't think it was even unreasonable. Kyle fought the good fight and was outgunned. It wouldn't have been any better in the theoretical 50-page war. The villain waylaying and fighting dirty is actually an indication of the hero's strength. That's the way heroes like Cyrano de Bergerac, Huo Yuanjia, Leon, or even antiheroes like Sonny Corleone meet their end.
I get what you are saying but I still disagree. Kyle is an alley rat in Sinestro's eyes. To kill Kyle would be to aknowldge him and Sinestro would never give Kyle that satisfaction. But Kyle can be used. Even though Sinestro dose not respect him that dose not mean that others don't. It would send quite a message having the toarch bearer cowering before his Corps. His mission now is to spread fear and what better way to do that then to make an example of one of the most respected Green Lanterns of them all in the eyes of the Corps.
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #25
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 24,308
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
The depiction of him here owed much more too Johns than his Silver-Age mustache-twirling, clueless pirate. And I have read the majority of (if not every) Silver-Age GL appearance of Sinestro.
soooooo.....then we agree. kewl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Why did Superman go nuts? Not just because Lois and his unborn child died, but because HE WAS TRICKED INTO KILLING THEM HIMSELF. Goodbye Joker. And once the line is crossed, the next murder becomes easier. And the logic inside the "hero" begins to change. Very mature story line. This series connects seamlessly with the first Injustice arc of 12 issues. Loving it, loving it, loving it...a GREAT tale in the old Imaginary tradition.
and as we saw, that took some time to happen (which was a very smart thing to do in this case.)




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 01-24-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
elseworlds, kyle rayner, sinestro, sinestro corps

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.