Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
    When I was a kid I wanted Jaws 3 to be good SO badly. I was very excited for it. My aunt went to see and I tormented her for info as soon as she got back. I remember how shocked I was when she told me it was terrible. Aaaannnd...of course I had to find out for myself, which I soonafter DID. It was terrible. I can never get that shot out of my head of the shark heading for the glass (that Space Cop so nicely posted just above) where it doesn't move, they just zoom in on it.
    I remember my J3 experience vividly, too, because it was just a strange case...

My mom had me stay over at my grand mom's house for the night, and as a surprise, she took me to the zoetrope down in Franklin Center. When she told me what we were gonna see, I was like YEAH! But I was worried about my grandmother throughout the whole movie because I never pegged her for someone who would even consider watching a horror movie, and she had been through enough real life horrors to scare the shit out of Hitchcock, which was our beastly skeleton in the closet.

As far as the movie goes, I loved it myself, but then again, I was at that age where anything with SHARK! in it made me go nuts in excitement. I remember the next day I was trying to explain to mom how there was a guy in the Sharks mouth holding a grenade and a dude was trying to pull the pin with a steel rod.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
      the second Jaws film isn't too bad (third is tolerable, but just barely).
      Jaws 2's biggest failure was that it's motivator was strictly a cash crop cash in, and the non-involvement of Spielberg was clearly evident from the opening scene alone, but there were decent moments, along with a brand new score by Williams. The acting was so fake it was see-through plastic, and this was Roy Schieder's hate-sex film. He was so pissed during production he got in a fist fight with the director.

Contractual obligations at its finest.

Comment

• Oh my LORD. A new super duper special edition of The Thing on bluray. Coming September 20th from Shout Factory.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-vi...ails-revealed/

Scream! Factory has just revealed all the details for their upcoming home release of John Carpenter’s 1982 sci-fi/horror classic The Thing, which is pretty much going to be the definitive edition for any collector, guaranteed!

Coming out on September 20, 2016, the new edition will feature 2k restorations that were supervised by DP Dean Cundy, new commentaries, a new 4.1 soundtrack mix, and a ton of interviews, images, outtakes, and other incredible extras that give fans the ability to delve fully into the making of the landmark film.

Just look at this massive list of extra features:

NEW 2K scan of the Inter-positive supervised and approved by director of photography Dean Cundey
        NEW 4.1 created from the original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo soundtrack
        NEW Audio Commentary with director of photography Dean Cundey
        NEW The Men of Outpost 31 – interviews with Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney and more…
        NEW Assembling and Assimilation – an interview with editor Todd Ramsay
        NEW Behind the Chameleon – interviews with visual effects artists Peter Kuran and Susan Turner, special make-up effects artist Rob Burman and Brian Wade and more….
        NEW Sounds from the Cold – interviews with supervising sound editor David Lewis Yewdall and special sound effects designer Alan Howarth
        NEW Between the Lines – an interview with novelization author Alan Dean Foster
        Audio Commentary by director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
        John Carpenter’s The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – a documentary on the making of THE THING featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, special effects make-up designer Rob Bottin, legendary matte artist Albert Whitlock plus members of the cast and crew (80 minutes – SD)
        Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
        Vintage featurettes from the electronic press kit featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell and Rob Bottin (12 minutes – SD)
        Vintage featurettes – The Making of a Chilling Tale and The Making of THE THING (1982 – 14 minutes – SD)
        Vintage Product Reel – contains a promotional condensed version of the film with additional footage not in the film (19 minutes – SD)
        Vintage Behind-the-Scenes footage (2 minutes – SD)
        Annotated Production Archive – Production Art and Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes – SD)
        Network TV Broadcast version of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
        Teaser Trailer
        Theatrical Trailers (U.S. and German Trailer)
        TV spots
        Radio Spots
        Still Gallery (behind-the-scenes photos, posters and lobby cards)

“In the winter of 1982, a twelve-man research team at a remote Antarctic research station discovers an alien buried in the snow for over 100,000 years. Soon unfrozen, the form-changing alien wreaks havoc, creates terror and takes on the appearance of those it kills.”

Directed by John Carpenter (Halloween, They Live), The Thing stars Kurt Russell, Keith David, Wilford Brimley, Donald Moffat, T.K. Carter, Richard A. Dysart, Richard Masur, David Clennon, Charles Hallahan, Thomas G. Waites, Joel Polis, and Peter Maloney.

STANDARD OFFER
        -Receive the Collector’s Edition Blu-ray with slipcover
        -Receive a limited-edition 18” x 24” poster of the newly-designed art from artist Paul Shipper
        -Product will be shipped two weeks earlier than National Street date of September 20th
        Pre-order

DELUXE OFFER (Limited to 1,500 orders only – pictured below)
        -Receive the Collector’s Edition Blu-ray with slipcover
        -Receive a limited-edition 18” x 24” poster of the newly-designed art from Paul Shipper
        -Product will be shipped three weeks earlier than National Street date of September 20
        -Receive a second slipcover—made exclusively for this promotion and newly-designed from artist Nat Marsh
        -Receive a second 18” x 24” poster of the newly designed art from Nat Marsh
        Pre-order

Comment

• I just preordered my copy. I got the best/most expensive version, which ships 3 weeks early so I should have it around August 30th or so. After S+H I ended up paying $40.92.

I tried to post all of this info over at the Outpost #31 fansite, but the site works like crap now and I can't get my posts to go through. I hate not being able to chat over there. The Thing is my SHIT. My absolute all time favorite horror film ever.

Comment

• /\ Ok, so basically what you are saying, Dave, is that you are really not interested in this, correct?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
                I remember my J3 experience vividly, too, because it was just a strange case...As far as the movie goes, I loved it myself, but then again, I was at that age where anything with SHARK! ...
                Yeah, I was three going on four when this came out so it was the hot new Jaws when I was little. Plus, my family went to Sea World a bunch when I was little so the setting felt close to that. And I thought Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett Jr were so cool. So, I loved it as a kid. Viewing it since then, I saw its flaws, but I still find it fun because of the setting (what a great idea to put a shark horror movie in a water park!) and the nostalgia. [And as you guys probably know, cheesy or dated effects are no hindrance to my enjoyment of an old movie.]

Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
                Jaws 2's biggest failure was that it's motivator was strictly a cash crop cash in . . .
                Well, Jaws is one of many movies that should not have become a franchise, but since it did, I see something I like in all of the sequels (though least of all in #4).

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                Oh my LORD. A new super duper special edition of The Thing on bluray. Coming September 20th from Shout Factory. . .
                I might have to upgrade even though I like the DVD I have. Shout Factory is a good distributor (both for their treatment of the films and for releasing some stuff that otherwise wouldn't be available except via VHS).

Comment

• I don't fuck around with The Thing.

[img][/img]

Comment

I don't fuck around with The Thing.
                    I like that you represent Arness and the Hawks' original (even though you're obviously more of a fan of the Carpenter remake). Every now and then I hear new stuff about how influential that movie was on later filmmakers, not only on obvious guys like Carpenter but I've even heard Romero and others cite it pretty highly.

Arness makes a great, spooky monster. Plus there's that classic last line, so famous now that it's a cliche spoof. When I did a double feature of 50s sci-fi horror for my film club, I discussed (mostly with my mother who remembers creature features well) using The Thing from Another World, but ultimately decided to recommend it but not show it.

Comment

Oh come on, big daddy, at least make it a Ledger Joker meme. Lol

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Shout Factory is a good distributor (both for their treatment of the films and for releasing some stuff that otherwise wouldn't be available except via VHS).
                      I definitely second that statement. It was through Shout Factory that I was able to see the Japanese-only continuation of G1 Transformers (Headmasters, Super God Master Force, and Victory) for the first time in my life.

Comment

I don't fuck around with The Thing.]
                        So basically

The Thing is to Dave
                        As
                        Doom is to Jeff

Correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          I like that you represent Arness and the Hawks' original (even though you're obviously more of a fan of the Carpenter remake). Every now and then I hear new stuff about how influential that movie was on later filmmakers, not only on obvious guys like Carpenter but I've even heard Romero and others cite it pretty highly.

Arness makes a great, spooky monster. Plus there's that classic last line, so famous now that it's a cliche spoof. When I did a double feature of 50s sci-fi horror for my film club, I discussed (mostly with my mother who remembers creature features well) using The Thing from Another World, but ultimately decided to recommend it but not show it.
                          I love the Hawks/Nyby version. People may not realize it now, but it was a great film for it's time. Very well made. The Carpenter film is what makes me a fan, but I do have a lot of love for the '51 film. Hell, I even like the 2011 prequel.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
                            So basically

The Thing is to Dave
                            As
                            Doom is to Jeff

Correct?
                            As far as horror films go it is. I have my little pantheon of favorites, Jaws, Star Wars, King Kong, etc, and The Thing is my favorite horror film and well in my overall top 10.

Comment

I love the Hawks/Nyby version. People may not realize it now, but it was a great film for it's time. Very well made. The Carpenter film is what makes me a fan, but I do have a lot of love for the '51 film. Hell, I even like the 2011 prequel.
                              I do too. It's not great, but it was pretty good and their attention to detail of the Carpenter film is amazing. I take it you've also read the original short story? I'm pretty sure I did at some point.

Despite departing from the original in many central ways (like a shape-shifting versus a vegetable monster), Carpenter picked one element that I think was key to both versions--the isolated, inhospitable, and foreign-to-most-of-us Arctic/Antarctic setting. That really set it apart from the Gothic castles of early horror and the teen-filled suburbs of the 80s slashers. In both, it really gives you this "you're f**ked" feeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                                I do too. It's not great, but it was pretty good and their attention to detail of the Carpenter film is amazing. I take it you've also read the original short story? I'm pretty sure I did at some point.

Despite departing from the original in many central ways (like a shape-shifting versus a vegetable monster), Carpenter picked one element that I think was key to both versions--the isolated, inhospitable, and foreign-to-most-of-us Arctic/Antarctic setting. That really set it apart from the Gothic castles of early horror and the teen-filled suburbs of the 80s slashers. In both, it really gives you this "you're f**ked" feeling.

I have a couple of versions of "Who Goes There?", my gem being the original version it was first published in. In the first pic in the left corner is the 1938 issue of Astounding Science Fiction pulp magazine. That's the issue The Thing was originally published in. It took me years, but I found it from a Canadian dealer of sci fi and pulp magazines.

It's a decent story, warts and all. It has a lot of typos and grammatical errors, but still a fun read. It's very close to the Carpenter story, but with a much larger group of men as cast and cannon fodder.

Comment

Working...
                                X