Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Jessica Cruz be the Justice League GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Jessica Cruz be the Justice League GL?

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. When Jessica Cruz was "Power Ring" that was one thing... but Geoff forcibly made her into a GL, proper right about the time plans were solidifying up for the DCEU. Now he's given her the front seat in "Green Lanterns" for over a year now with Geoff's other new PC Lantern, getting people used to idea of her as a leading GL. Over in the JL comic, too, right?

Fancy that.

I'm thinking it's highly likely Jessica will end up as the GL on the movie Justice League (they need more than one woman on the team, unless that is in fact Supergirl), with Hal and all the others showing up in the GLC movie later, if that even still happens.

Might as well. The Flash is an Asian tranny in a power rangers costume, so it's not like they are trying anyway. I have no plans to see JL in the theater, and no confidence they would get GL right.

Comment

There would certainly be some logic in using Jessica, but I do not think DC/WB will. And I'm not sure if it would be a wise thing to do, unless WB AND DC Comics commit to Jessica Cruz being the primary Green Lantern character, and I highly doubt they will (and I'm also not sure how wise that would be). Now, as much as good ol' boys hate dealing with diversity, PC characters, and the like, and as much as they say it doesn't sell in comics, diversity is a wise course of action for the companies to take OUTSIDE of comics, because a good number of people of different backgrounds actually do go see movies and watch television and such. Furthermore, a great many movie goers have not much knowledge or appreciation for many of these "iconic" characters. So, I mean, if Hal Jordan doesn't show up, most of these people could give two poops about that.

Why I don't think it's wise to use Jessica is because ... whatever new fans she would get from the films would likely ultimately wind up disappointed if they ever wanted to get into the comics and other DC material. And what WB should try to do with these characters of theirs is make satisfied life long fans of them, because people like that will spend the most money on their products, and do the most word of mouth advertising for them.

These potential new fans would undoubtedly be met with a large number of angry good ol' boys and probably people behind the scenes like them who don't want to use Jessica, will sabotage her when they can, and will ultimately shunt her off into limbo/obscurity/death as fast as possible. You're not going to build life long fans like that. You're just going to frustrate the people you cockteased, and further divide your fanbase and make it so that nobody wins and everyone is frustrated.

So, in my opinion, unless DC is really going to commit to Jessica, and I don't believe they will, especially since there is no mention of her in the Green Lantern Corps movie, or ANY movie, then I think they should leave her on the bench, and focus on the character(s) they're going to commit to.

And I do hope DC/WB does not try to commit to every human Green Lantern because I do not believe that will work. The Green Lantern was never meant to be a team of humans from Earth with Power Rings. I feel they'll REALLY water down the concept if they attempt that, and make it a lot less appealing. It would be one thing if there was two or three of them, but six or seven or however many there are now is way too excessive, and there would be little to no space to actually make effective use of the aliens, who are an extremely important part of the concept, in my opinion.
      Star-Lantern
      Weaponer of Qward
      Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-16-2017, 02:29 PM.
      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

I think it would only work if they mentioned Hal was off doing something else or was missing in action and a replacement ring went to his home planet [Fighting Sinestro or getting zapped to Qward, which then could create a lead-in for the GLC movie as well.] It would make Jessica a fresh rookie getting her powers on screen which could have potential, but at the same time I think they already have the Flash as a fresh rookie type already [and possibly Cyborg as well depending on what they do with him] Having a 2nd or 3rd rookie character type might be adding too much of the same if this would be the case.

Comment

I believe she was in that splash of all the upcoming DC movies. I think Baz was on there too. They probably want to bury the GL 2011 movie so probably no Hal until the GLC movie.

Comment

Working...
          X