Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Barnaby Bagenda

0.00%
    0.00%
    33.33%
    33.33%
    33.33%

Zero stars.

I'm not reading this anymore, nor am I buying the comic. The premise is ridiculous, the situations untenable. It's like a throwback to the bad old days just before Rebirth when Kyle was "infiltrating" the Black Hole Gang without a power ring.

NO ONE is talking about what happened to the GLC, it's all this Great Big Secret that makes no sense. Hal Jordan has the last "green energy" in the form of Krona's Gauntlet, Kyle has nothing.

Artwork was similar to some no-name comic lines, like Black Science.

And since when does Kyle recite a Catholic prayer in Spanish? This whole "Alpha-Omega" storyline is trying to dive deep into religious territory, and DC has never done that well (see Animal Man/Starfire and Lady Styx).

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
      Artwork was similar to some no-name comic lines, like Black Science.
      I haven't read issue #2 yet but is this suppose to be a negative? Because the art in Black Science is fantastic.

Comment

I like the art but if Kyle becomes super Spanish guy again out of nowhere just so DC can make their line more diverse I'm done. His mother was religious and spoke in Gaelic and once in awhile he would... But I forget half the people who write the character don't know he's part Irish even with the last name Rayner....

~KL~

Comment

So, you don't want him to start wearing a sombrero and poncho?

Comment

It was insulting the very issue after the reveal his dad was Spanish in GL #150, the 80 Page Giant #3 I think had Jade making faces at him and calling him something in Spanish. You can't just make a character Spanish out of thin air. Okay, so his dad's Spanish... all of a sudden he's fluent in Spanish himself even though his dad wasn't around for 95% of his childhood? Do writers research anything anymore? Are editors getting paid to edit nothing?!?

It'd be like making the Thing, who's been Jewish quite awhile now, Italian and Catholic.

I mean, of ALL the things you could write with Kyle [being an artist, the last Lantern for some time, being a college drop-out, dead girlfriend issues, becoming Ion twice, mastering every ring, being a WL, being Parallax, etc...] they choose to go with the whole he's part Spanish angle?

~KL~

Comment

Well, part Mexican anyway. Same language, different country.

Unless they changed it so he IS part Spanish now. Wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                It was insulting the very issue after the reveal his dad was Spanish in GL #150, the 80 Page Giant #3 I think had Jade making faces at him and calling him something in Spanish. You can't just make a character Spanish out of thin air. Okay, so his dad's Spanish... all of a sudden he's fluent in Spanish himself even though his dad wasn't around for 95% of his childhood? Do writers research anything anymore? Are editors getting paid to edit nothing?!?

It'd be like making the Thing, who's been Jewish quite awhile now, Italian and Catholic.

I mean, of ALL the things you could write with Kyle [being an artist, the last Lantern for some time, being a college drop-out, dead girlfriend issues, becoming Ion twice, mastering every ring, being a WL, being Parallax, etc...] they choose to go with the whole he's part Spanish angle?

~KL~
                I'll tell you how that happened.

The original plan was for the Corps to return in GL #150, but not Hal. It was all set up in the Legacy hardcover starring Tom Kamalku. But Geoff threw a monkey wrench into it by arguing that Harold had to be part of the returning package, because after all, it's all about Harold. And he won out. The higher-ups gave him two years to come up with Rebirth, which really was just a laundry list of what HEAT wanted. So GL just treaded water for all that time.

Meanwhile, what special thing were they going to do for GL #150? Well, SOMEONE -- I believe Judd Winick -- came up with the idea to retcon Kyle's father as a Mexican. As if that were some sort of a big deal.

When the issue came out most people ridiculed it, and rightly so, but Winick came to the old DC message board and called the scoffers "a bunch of racists."

And that's the sad story about that.
                Trey Strain
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-02-2015, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I don't know what the hell is going on in this series. I can't keep straight who is who (besides Kyle) and they all "talk funny."

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    I don't know what the hell is going on in this series. I can't keep straight who is who (besides Kyle) and they all "talk funny."
                    Read it. Liked it.

So far the series seems pretty safe forward to me:
                    • The Citadel is at war with the Omega Men
                    • At some point prior to DC Sneak Peak: The Omega Men Kyle enters Citadel controlled space to broker a peace between the two groups. Since the Citadel doesn't allow Lanterns to operate in their territory he relinquished his ring upon entry. The Omega Men however take him hostage.
                    • In DC Sneak Peak: The Omega Men The Omega Men broadcast their "execution" of Kyle.
                    • In The Omega Men #1 the Citadel sends a death squad after the Omega Men. The Omega Men kill them before escaping with an obviously drugged Kyle.
                    • In The Omega Men #2, the Citadel viceroy arrives on Ogyptu (the planet where the raid in the previous issue took place). Due to their military personnel being slaughtered in the previous issue the Citadel will kill a larger number of civilians as retribution. Meanwhile the Omega Men have implanted a bomb inside Kyle and tell him they have a plan to save the civilians in order to ensure his compliance. This turns out to be a lie however as they steal the viceroy's ship and escape instead, taking Kyle with them.

Really liked the last page in particular, thought the bit with the blood and the symbol was genius.

Comment

That is really cool!

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post

The Citadel is at war with the Omega Men
                        And the Citadel also go by the name and/or worship "Alpha," right? The Citadel is also the more powerful group, I guess?

In The Omega Men #1 the Citadel sends a death squad after the Omega Men. The Omega Men kill them before escaping with an obviously drugged Kyle.
                        This is one of those things I didn't get. I thought the Omega Men were on some kind of raid (since they seemed to be in a different place than where Kyle is) and those were guards.

Really liked the last page in particular, thought the bit with the blood and the symbol was genius.
                        I liked that bit too.

Comment

My interpretation about the "Alpha" and "Omega" is that Alpha is life and Omega is death. They seem to praise Alpha for good things and Omega seems to refer to death or closure. It seems to be more of a philosophical angle and more will probably be revealed. Maybe this is how Kyle is an Omega now because he "died".

Comment

Originally posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
                            bunch of racists.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              And the Citadel also go by the name and/or worship "Alpha," right?
                              Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
                              My interpretation about the "Alpha" and "Omega" is that Alpha is life and Omega is death. They seem to praise Alpha for good things and Omega seems to refer to death or closure. It seems to be more of a philosophical angle and more will probably be revealed. Maybe this is how Kyle is an Omega now because he "died".
                              Alpha and Omega are deities in their religion. They were touched upon in the sneak peek.

Originally posted by SpaceCop
                              The Citadel is also the more powerful group, I guess?
                              Yea, The Citadel rules this region of space the Omega Men are rebels.

Comment

Working...
                              X