No announcement yet.

Jackie Earle Haley to play Sinestro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the guy did an awesome job in The Watchmen and he has been around for many years as a child actor and now as an award winning actor. He is a bit short but so was Michael Keaton. Keaton was able to pull off Batman and he is no taller than Jackie Earle Haley. I think a bigger name to draw in those who are not familiar with the characters, and those who are not necessarily science fiction fans wouldn’t hurt. Traditionally some of the most successful comic book movie franchises did well with big name actors cast as the antagonist. Christopher Reeve had Gene Hackman, Michael Keaton had Jack Nicholson, Tobey McGuire had Willem Defoe, and Christian Bale had William Neeson. I guess the only exception to this tradition would have to be The Dark Night. Remember how everyone was up in arms when Christopher Nolan cast Heath Ledger as the Joker? He managed to blow us all away with his performance. Who Knows! Jackie Earle Haley may have the talent to pull off the same thing with Sinestro. Come on man the guy was a Bad Ass in The original Bad News Bears!

Comment

Hmm, this is interesting. He's not one I had considered, but if he does end up getting the part, I'll have to pick up some movies he's been in other than Watchmen to see what I think. But he's definitely not a choice that I would dismiss out of hand!

I do think that if I see Hugo Weaving's name thrown around one more time, I'm going to scream. Yes, we know he's got the look and skills. Yes, it's been said three thousand times. Yes, it's still okay to have your opinions. But Jesus, people, he's not the only actor in the world who can potentially handle this part.

Comment

wouldn't it be hilarious if Hugo got it and sucked at it?

Comment

Or it was just a rehash of Agent Smith.
          XII
          Manhunter Repairman
          Last edited by XII; 10-18-2009, 10:34 AM.

Customs- http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ead.php?t=7448

Comment

Originally posted by Willpower View Post
            Even though I wouldn't pick him, because I'd rather see others in the role instead, I'm sure he'll do a fine job. They have a good director who will make sure of it.

I think his small role in Semi-Pro was a bit funny, but not any evidence I'd use for my arguement
            Not if you're focusing on just one piece of work...

but if you're talking about range and ability...

People always assume that it's easy to play a stumblebum or a stoner or something like that... but it's not. How many times have you seen a drunkard or a stoner and it's just completely overblown and unbelievable?

Haley played that part perfectly... AND (and this is the important part) played Rorschach well AND was nominated for MULTIPLE awards for his portrayal in Little Children.

Three completely different roles. All requiring completely different performances.

He was solid, competent and believable in all three.

I'm not saying I know he's gonna nail Sinestro...

I'm just saying there's no legitimate reason to think he CAN'T.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
              Not if you're focusing on just one piece of work...

but if you're talking about range and ability...

People always assume that it's easy to play a stumblebum or a stoner or something like that... but it's not. How many times have you seen a drunkard or a stoner and it's just completely overblown and unbelievable?

Haley played that part perfectly... AND (and this is the important part) played Rorschach well AND was nominated for MULTIPLE awards for his portrayal in Little Children.

Three completely different roles. All requiring completely different performances.

He was solid, competent and believable in all three.

I'm not saying I know he's gonna nail Sinestro...

I'm just saying there's no legitimate reason to think he CAN'T.
              I agree. He nailed all three of those roles.
              The Best Comic Site Ever!!!

Comment

Just a few hours ago I was standing on the red carpet of Spike TV’s 2009 Scream Awards. They’re recording the show tonight and it airs Tuesday October 27th. Anyway, while on the red carpet I managed to get a number of interviews and one of them was with Jackie Earle Haley.

The reason getting to speak with Jackie was great is I was able to ask him directly about the rumor that he is going to play Sinestro in director Martin Cambell’s “Green Lantern”. If you missed the story, we reported the rumor earlier today. But according to Jackie, tonight is the first he’s heard of this rumor. Of course I tried to find out more by asking him if he’d screen tested for the part, but Jackie told me that wasn’t true. Exactly what he had to say after the jump:

Before watching the interview…know I didn’t have a camera person helping me tonight so if the framing isn’t perfect…that’s why.

Also, while Jackie says he hasn’t been approached for the part, that doesn’t mean he won’t be down the road. It could be like he says at the end of the interview, “you guys are out in front of it and I don’t know anything about it yet. If something comes up I’ll let you know.”

Jackie Earle Haley

* Was he shocked to hear he was cast as Sinestro in Green Lantern? Says he just heard about it walking the red carpet
                * I ask if he was screen tested for the movie. He says no.
                * What is it like for him to be talked about for key parts in big movies
                * On set of Nightmare on Elm Street the makeup took a toll on him. Is he now excited to go back and play the role again if they make a sequel
                * I finally ask him if he is in Green Lantern or if it’s a possibility. He says, “you guys are out in front of it and I don’t know anything about it yet. If something comes up I’ll let you know.”

SOURCE

There is a video at the site.

Comment

We'll see....actors have lied before.

Now we wait for the truth, WHO IS SINESTRO? And How many people will post a thread with this news?

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                    And How many people will post a thread with this news?
                    Whatever number you come up with, I'll take the over.

Comment

lol

Let's keep in mind this is the same guy who denied being Freddy 3 weeks before it was announced.

Comment

I think this is a very interesting development. He certainly wasn't on the fan radar as a choice, but he's a good enough actor to pull it off. Between the new Nightmare film, potential sequels, and appearing in the Human Target he might be a little busy, but we could do far worse than him.

While I don't question his acting chops, I just don't see him having the physical presence that Sinestro should have.

Comment

Originally posted by mrumsey View Post
                          While I don't question his acting chops, I just don't see him having the physical presence that Sinestro should have.
                          What physical presence does Sinestro have? Tall and skinny?

Comment

What physical presence does Sinestro have? Tall and skinny?
                            Yeah. He doesn't have to be built but I feel he is a little too short to play Sinestro.

But all in all, their could be worse choices.

Comment

Originally posted by FrEaKjOkErXXX View Post
                              Yeah. He doesn't have to be built but I feel he is a little too short to play Sinestro.

But all in all, their could be worse choices.
                              You know Tom Cruise is legally a midget right?*

It's the MOVIES people! They're ACTORS!

*ok so he's not really a midget... but he's short as hell and yet he manages to be a leading man in tons of movies where he appears to be just as tall as normal people.

ok ok so this picture isn't real...

but THIS one is....

Tom Cruise is FIVE FOOT SEVEN!!!
                              Jackie Earl Haley is 5'5

Anyway this is all completely irrelevant.... let's say they made Sinestro 5'5....

WHO THE FUCK CARES??? He's an alien and a bit of a fascist with a weapon that's run by his willpower.

I'm far too agitated by this topic....

Comment

I'm far too agitated by this topic....

It's ok, Doc! Just take a step back and breath...breath...

Comment

Working...
                                X