Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DC gearing up to kill off Kyle again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
    I'd argue that he doesn't need a special gimmick. All Green Lanterns have something that makes them special but what really got most of us into Kyle Rayner in 1996(?) was the fact that he wasn't special. He was just a regular Joe, trying to get by, failing in managing his life.
    And then he became 'the chosen one', 'ION', 'White Lantern', blah blah blah.

You see the problem? He was never intended to be special.
    I think they overreacted to taunting on the message boards from people who were pissed off about their flushing the entire GL mythos in favor of just Kyle and about Kyle's bumbling rookiehood and coming-of-age stories being dragged about about 10 years too long. So they "fixed" that by making him oh-so-special.

Comment

I don't think they'll kill Kyle - I see a White Lantern Corps in his future that will help shoulder the burden of the Life Equation.

Comment

That'd be horrible

Comment

My wild guess is that Kyle will end up passing the White Lantern torch to Saint Walker, who will then begin a search for the next bearer, with the idea being that the position gets passed on down through the ages so there is always somebody ready to answer the call should the reservoir get too low...
          Though I wouldn't necessarily like such a fate for Saint Walker, since I expect if anybody ends up being the White Lantern after Kyle, they will likely then fade into obscurity and MAYBE get trotted out occasionally for some big crossover.
          I think this may be the direction they go. Maybe there is always a White Lantern and they pop up every now and then during a big event(which will hopefully be a while). Not sure they would Saint Walker though.

Comment

Yeah, now that Saint Walker has the Blue back, I think it is unlikely to be him (unless he passes the blue on to Guy to take the white).

Comment

I'd argue that he doesn't need a special gimmick. All Green Lanterns have something that makes them special but what really got most of us into Kyle Rayner in 1996(?) was the fact that he wasn't special. He was just a regular Joe, trying to get by, failing in managing his life.

That was his Gimmick. The Everyman or as it is often refered to by comic fans the Peter Parker.
              Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Well, here's the thing:

Hal is already perfect, so he's never really had any character arc. Guy is Guy, and barring different costumes and powers at different times, hasn't really had any character arc either (aside from when he was recovering from a brain injury). Who and what John is has wildly varied from era to era and writer to writer, but about the only character arc he's had is dealing with Xanshi... and he's been stuck on that for the past twenty years.

Kyle started out as an everyman, sure, but this is what gives him his character arc. He started out as you and I, then has to cope with not only carrying the torch solo of the GLC for 11 years, but then adapting to a more military-style life within the GLC. He's learned, he's grown, and he's not really the guy he used to be. Then having to shoulder Ion... and now mastering the 7 spectrums and learning how to be (and succeeding) the White Lantern. And he hasn't even lived on Earth in... how many years now?

And Kyle does have a gimmick. He's an artist, the creative one who makes cooler shit with his ring than everyone else.

Comment

Kyle may have been the average guy but even from the beginning he's always had a ring with special abilities. Kyle will always be the odd man out because he's younger than the three musketeers and a completely different generation. You know how once in awhile Nightwing will have a good run during a solo series away from the rest of the Bat family but the essence is still there? That's what needs to happen with Kyle. Let him go green again and separate him from the Corps. Give him a secret mission in 2814 or back on Earth (center of the multiverse still?) and go from there. You don't need three different colored Corps in each title to connect all the series. Go back to character driven stories rather than plot driven and watch the sales go up a bit. Seeing heroes out of costume once in awhile isn't a bad thing....

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                    Kyle may have been the average guy but even from the beginning he's always had a ring with special abilities. Kyle will always be the odd man out because he's younger than the three musketeers and a completely different generation. You know how once in awhile Nightwing will have a good run during a solo series away from the rest of the Bat family but the essence is still there? That's what needs to happen with Kyle. Let him go green again and separate him from the Corps. Give him a secret mission in 2814 or back on Earth (center of the multiverse still?) and go from there. You don't need three different colored Corps in each title to connect all the series. Go back to character driven stories rather than plot driven and watch the sales go up a bit. Seeing heroes out of costume once in awhile isn't a bad thing....
                    They really could have done this too. Kyle could have returned to earth based in NYC and Baz could've joined the JLU. It would've been win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
                      Kyle will always be the odd man out because he's younger than the three musketeers and a completely different generation.
                      That has never been established. You just really like that idea and have been running with it for years now.

Comment

It feels like in the books they have downplayed any age difference between the 4 human GLs. It used to be that Hal an Guy were a lot older than John, by like 15 years, and that went away over time. I think the same has happened with Kyle. They all seem close in age in the stories now, even if they leave it vague.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                          It feels like in the books they have downplayed any age difference between the 4 human GLs. It used to be that Hal an Guy were a lot older than John, by like 15 years, and that went away over time. I think the same has happened with Kyle. They all seem close in age in the stories now, even if they leave it vague.
                          They're all "around 30." If that. While Hal was working at Ferris Air and the Air Force, John was in the Marines and/or architect school, and whatever that last needless retcon of Guy had him doing (a cop, I think?), Kyle was busy being a starving artist. And now they're all Green Lanterns.

Comment

I admit that there seems to be less space for him now. It would be foolish to kill him. Why piss people off, Even if the fan base is much smaller now?
                            Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

IMO Kyle easiest and best GL to write Spiderman of the DCU. Hard luck superhero with an actual life outside of being a GL. He actually has to balance his life and heroics. Held his own title for ten years despite the constant fan demands to bring back HAL.

Comment

Originally posted by TEN_RINGS View Post
                                IMO Kyle easiest and best GL to write Spiderman of the DCU. Hard luck superhero with an actual life outside of being a GL. He actually has to balance his life and heroics. Held his own title for ten years despite the constant fan demands to bring back HAL.
                                Ten and a half... but who's counting?

Comment

Working...
                                X