The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 03-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Default JSA fans in the house, raise your hands!

Just looking to see what GL fans here are also fans of the Justice Society Of America.

They're my all time favorite team. I grew up on the silver age heroes of the League, but I've always enjoyed the JSA as a collective than their Earth 1 counterpart. For those of you out there that do like the JSA, why and which versions? Do you like them because of Alan Scott's role in the team? Because of the JLA/JSA teamups? the newer stuff only? The older stuff only?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

The relaunch has been 1,000 times more enjoyable than JLofA.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternut View Post
The relaunch has been 1,000 times more enjoyable than JLofA.

agreed, the jla was good in the beginning but lost it's spark. the jsa has been more consistent
Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
The Light of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
agreed, the jla was good in the beginning but lost it's spark. the jsa has been more consistent
Thanks to a guy named Geoff Johns!!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Hush/Tommy Elliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I think the problem is: JLA is a title based on characters wich have their own comic books, so why souhld we buy another comic with them? I mean: if i want read stories about Sandman & Hourman i have just JSA, but the JLA is just another comic book based on Superman, Batman, Wondy...
Today, in the 2008, maybe the concept itself is boring, expecially after what Morrison did in the '90.

P.S.: sorry for my bad english, but i'm just a Siclian... no, not like Christopher Lambert in the Michael Cimino's movie.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I've always dug the new JSA more than the JLA, since the last volume even. For me it was the interaction between Jack Knight and Star Spangled Kid [now Stargirl], the re-introduction of Rick Tyler/Hourman, and the stuff with Hawkman and Captain Marvel/Black Adam. This new series is another thing I'm gonna get in trade form but I've ALWAYS enjoyed Dale Eaglesham's art since he worked on Kyle Rayner. His Alan Scott has always been good too when given time to shine. I can't wait to read more into Damage....

~KL~
Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Sasha Bordeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush/Tommy Elliot View Post
I think the problem is: JLA is a title based on characters wich have their own comic books, so why souhld we buy another comic with them? I mean: if i want read stories about Sandman & Hourman i have just JSA, but the JLA is just another comic book based on Superman, Batman, Wondy...
Today, in the 2008, maybe the concept itself is boring, expecially after what Morrison did in the '90.

P.S.: sorry for my bad english, but i'm just a Siclian... no, not like Christopher Lambert in the Michael Cimino's movie.
Oh gosh! The man who introduced me to the magic world of the Justice Society of America!

Dale Eaglesham is simply AMAZING. He was good when he drew Kyle Rayner, but now he's fantastic!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Just looking to see what GL fans here are also fans of the Justice Society Of America.

They're my all time favorite team. I grew up on the silver age heroes of the League, but I've always enjoyed the JSA as a collective than their Earth 1 counterpart. For those of you out there that do like the JSA, why and which versions? Do you like them because of Alan Scott's role in the team? Because of the JLA/JSA teamups? the newer stuff only? The older stuff only?

Actually, the JSA was always, always a hard sell for me. That is why it surprised me how much I liked Robinson's Golden Age story. From there, I have read most of the last two series.

I've always been an Alan Scott fan, it just seems that all Lanterns get their role reduced in team books and it happens to Alan as well. He gets pushed to the background a lot. Hawkman is also a fave. I like Jay Garrick too. That aside, most of the other characters that tend to rotate on and off the roster don't interest me much. Of the modern group stuff, Power Girl is cool.

The new series is holding my interest thus far, the Kingdom Come Superman stuff is fun. So, I guess I'm becoming more of a fan, but if the writing or art falls off at all (or my favorites are less a part of the series) it doesn't always make the cut.

-Don (the classic JLA/JSA team-ups are very fun)
Old 03-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Got to say, I'm not a huge JSA fan. I wouldn't mind picking up period piece stories with them in the 40s once in a while or something, but on the whole they really strike me as just the JLA's predecessor... in the here and now they seem redundant and serve as just a constant reminder that nothing changes and no one -- not even 100 year old guys -- ever dies or hangs up their hat in DC. Basically, a truffle of nostalgia for the nostalgiacs (not to knock them... I'm a nostalgiac, too, but moreso I like to see things move forward, not backwards).

I do like seeing Alan, though... but how much is he even in it anymore? What was the last big "Alan Moment," and how many lines has he had in the past, oh, 4 issues/4 months? I've been picking up the Kingdom Come story (which is pretty cool, I think) and I can tell you you can probably count them on one hand, maybe two (he didn't even appear at all in the last issue, despite being on the cover). On the whole it just seems like he's there for the sake of him being there, some kind of token character... kind of like, "See? We have all the main JSA folks in the title, nevermind that we're not going to really do much with'em."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #10
BuckyBarnes45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Got to say, I'm not a huge JSA fan. I wouldn't mind picking up period piece stories with them in the 40s once in a while or something, but on the whole they really strike me as just the JLA's predecessor... in the here and now they seem redundant and serve as just a constant reminder that nothing changes and no one -- not even 100 year old guys -- ever dies or hangs up their hat in DC. Basically, a truffle of nostalgia for the nostalgiacs (not to knock them... I'm a nostalgiac, too, but moreso I like to see things move forward, not backwards).
I think the JSA has a rich history. That book, since it came back in the late 90s, has had much more solid writing AND art that JLA. it is consitantly a well writen book and JLA is so up and down.

Comparing the JLA to the JSA is like comparing the Teen Titans to the JLA.

Still, if you really lke to see things move forward, why would a Silver Age team from the 1960s be anymore "forward" than the golden age one from the 1940s? Why not just root for the Outsiders or a brand new team? Then again when the JLA had a very different and new team it was a Detroit disaster.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
BuckyBarnes45

I am a huge JSA fans.
It was Roy Thomas' ALL STAR SQUADROM that did it for me. And...figuring out how Superman and Plasticman were young in WW2...and why this other guy was called "Green Lantern"...man that was gold to a 12 year old!

I did find out mroe and mroe about Earth2 as a result and loved it. Crisis soon came, but I had lots of back issues to get. The older JSA were in INFINITY INC a book I loved in the 1980s (which the collapse of Earth2 helped kill what was unique about the book)

I have loved damn near every incarnation of the JSA. The 90s book had some cartoony but cool Parobeck art....that was canned because DC wanted young heroes. The skip week JSA event that Robinosn helmed, in addition to his GOLDEN AGE was a breath of fresh air. Seeing the various characters in Starman was awesome as they got the same boost Starman himself got.

And those back issue runs...i never liked Stanton's art in GL that much (especially his 90s stuff) but loved his 1970s JSA work.

JSA= bad asses
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
Myth

I love the JSA, and anyone who speaks ill of them will face me in a Deathmatch.....
.....on CoD4! :P
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

I've only read the latest Volume, but I like it.

-- Would accept Myth's challenge, IF he had a PS3 and CoD4

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #14
Lishego

I had a hard time with it cause when I started I was so young, and didn't understand Earth-1/earth-2 stuff, so I just didn't care for all the alternate earth stuff, then after Crisis, I got hooked when it all came together, Love the new title, though I wish Alan would get more action....
Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
Sasha Bordeaux

I love the Justice Society of America! It's my favourite ongoing series.
I'm mad for it!

Alan Scott is simply.. amazing.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
Sasha Bordeaux

There is no competition now between JSA and JLA, Justice Society is so much better: incredible plot, wonderful characters, excellent art.. it's pure wonder.
Only Master Geoff coud dare to "challenge" a masterpiece such as Kingdom Come, and he's doing a GREAT job.

When I read the first "The next Age" issue, i couldn't find the words to describe it. AMAZING.. simply AMAZING.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #17
The Light of Hope

I fell in love with "The next age", and now JSA is one of my favorite series.
All thanks to Elena, that invited me "gently" to read it!
Issue #14 is way too cool, last page is awesome
Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
Sasha Bordeaux

I'm always kind to you, dearest Roberto.
The last page of issue #14 made me almost faint.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #19
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Bordeaux View Post
There is no competition now between JSA and JLA, Justice Society is so much better: incredible plot, wonderful characters, excellent art.. it's pure wonder.
Only Master Geoff coud dare to "challenge" a masterpiece such as Kingdom Come, and he's doing a GREAT job.

When I read the first "The next Age" issue, i couldn't find the words to describe it. AMAZING.. simply AMAZING.
Well said. It's too bad JLA isn't in the same, um, "league" as the JSA, otherwise we could have two awesome big-team books.

I will say, JSA is definitely one of my top books. It has a special feel about it too, like when I go to the LCS, its not "just another comic". It has a feel of importance to it, I find.

Quote:
I'm always kind to you, dearest Roberto.
The last page of issue #14 made me almost faint.
No kidding. I was shocked. And now I can't wait for the next one!

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #20
Sasha Bordeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
I will say, JSA is definitely one of my top books. It has a special feel about it too, like when I go to the LCS, its not "just another comic". It has a feel of importance to it, I find.
Of course! When my comic book shop sends me a mail with the confirmation of the arrival of the latest JSA issue i run there faster than a speeding bullet.
In my opinion, along with All Star Superman, it's the best DC series. The other one is Green Lantern of course.
When we talk about superheroes, Geoff Johns has no rivals!

Quote:
No kidding. I was shocked. And now I can't wait for the next one!
It was the same feeling I had when I saw Kingdom Come Superman in the last page of issue #9. I couldn't speak.

Our italian publisher now is proposing the All Star Squadron by Roy Thomas and the classic "Justice Society" by Paul Levitz, both of them were unpublished here. FANTASTIC!

Last edited by Sasha Bordeaux; 04-28-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #21
|Hal Jordan|
Kyle's Nude Model

JSA is one of the best series in DC Universe at the moment, thanks to Master Geoff and Dale Eaglesham and i love Cyclone *___*
Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
Sasha Bordeaux

... and i love my favourite big cat Ted Grant.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #23
The Light of Hope

Quote:
I knew you would have said so

Well my favorites ones are Cyclone, Stargirl and Wildcat (II)! Jakeem seems so funny, the scene with him and Black Lightning is hilarious
Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #24
Lanterna Blu

Quote:
my favorite is Liberty Belle !!!!!

a greeting to all my Italian friends!

......No evil shall escape my sight!......
Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
Sasha Bordeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterna Blu View Post
my favorite is Liberty Belle !!!!!

a greeting to all my Italian friends!

......No evil shall escape my sight!......
Oh gosh!
My favourite Blue Lantern!
Yur english is not so terrible after all.

Master Geoff dedicated a WONDERFUL JSA issue to Liberty Bell.