The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 08-29-2018, 12:45 AM   #1101
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Wait, Pryor wasn’t even in Quest for Peace. He was in Superman 3, not 4.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 AM   #1102
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Wait, Pryor wasn’t even in Quest for Peace. He was in Superman 3, not 4.
I'm simply going to blame my brain damage. Yeah .. that...

Darth_Andrea
Old 09-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #1103
Space Cop
The Dandy

Happy Star Trek Day, all.

I figure if that other sci-fi franchise can be celebrated yearly, why not it's older and more prolific cousin?

This is the day most recognized by Trekkies for such.

I started another Trek book last night and will watch a few random episodes and probably a movie today.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-08-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #1104
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I have been in a total Star Trek mood the last few weeks. Watching a lot of youtube videos and retrospectives. I did end up ordering an Eaglemoss Enterprise from TOS from their XL line. A bit over 11" long. Should be in the mail the beginning of the week.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #1105
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

And happy 52nd birthday!
Old 09-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #1106
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I have been in a total Star Trek mood the last few weeks. . .
Me too. I think it started with our discussions here about the future of Trek combined with my plans to read some Trek novels on vacation (which led me to re-watch some related episodes).

I'm always a Trekkie and can randomly watch an episode or read a novel pretty much anytime, but I usually go through moods like this where it's mostly what I watch or read. The same goes for other properties even if it's as simple as a sudden desire to watch all the Dirty Harry movies in a few days or to listen to all Led Zeppelin's standard albums.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-08-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #1107
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm not a hardcore Trek fan like you are, but I do have a soft spot for it. Especially TOS and Kirk movies. I find with all my pet franchises I get into a mood or a phase, where I'm really into it for days, weeks or months. Then I get into a phase with another franchise.

I rarely ever find new loves, so it's usually like the same 10 or so things I like in a rotation.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #1108
Space Cop
The Dandy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote:
Here's an image of the warp field of the Enterprise-D.

I just watched Star Trek Beyond again and the shots of Enterprise warping do a good job of showing overlapping warp bubbles like this.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #1109
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Several things are close to happening and the first signs of them have already occurred.

By the end of May 2019, if Paramount and Bad Robot don't have a Star Trek Film in active production, this means set building and at least second unit filming with a firm release date set. The License under which the Kelvin Timeline series of movies have been made reverts in full to CBS. And given Paramount has "Shelved" Star Trek 4 "Indefinitely" the reversion seems the most likely outcome.

This will also have trickle down effects. 1st Star Trek Discovery as well as the planned Picard series are being produced under the Bad Robot License. Which more than likely means the death of Discovery and major alterations to the Picard series before it starts filming which might delay it by several months.

Also the Quentin Tarantino Trek movies, also being developed under the Bad Robot license will be dead unless Paramount gets new licenses to work with. The current Animated series that's near release "Lower Decks" seems to have been developed under the original CBS license rights so its safe .. I think. Depends on if its actually good or not.

All and all I think Star Trek is about to undergo another major shakeup which will lead to hopefully something good. Until we know something more definitive however we should wait and see.

Darth_Andrea

Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 01-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #1110
Mister Ed

At this point nothing they are currently doing is great for me personally, so any change is probably welcome (especially if it scuttles that stupid Tarantino-Trek idea).

Frankly, unless it somehow messes up the novel line, I doubt I'll much notice, since I'm skeptical that we'll ever see a new Trek show on broadcast TV, and I'm not paying for a subscription just to watch one.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-14-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #1111
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

For a long time in Hollywood, it was always something meets something. Like Superman meets Richard Pryor. Star Trek meets Quentin was a throwback to that approach.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #1112
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I liked the first two seasons of TOS and the even-numbered movies that featured the original cast. But I could never get into TNG as much as I did TOS, and each subsequent series was less interesting to me.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #1113
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I liked the first two seasons of TOS and the even-numbered movies that featured the original cast. But I could never get into TNG as much as I did TOS, and each subsequent series was less interesting to me.
I used to buy in to the even-numbered-only thing, but I've grown to like Star Trek III a lot more (particularly act one) in the last few years.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #1114
Mister Ed

STIII has always been the best of the odd-numbered Trek movies, IMHO. It just got lumped in with the others as bad because it made a nice pattern, and it WAS (in my opinion at least) not as good as 2, 4, or 6. So while I would still say that, as far as original cast movies go, the even ones are the best, I wouldn't say all the odd ones are bad. (TNG movies were all bad except First Contact, which is actually in the running for my favorite Trek film of all, depending on my mood.)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #1115
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
STIII has always been the best of the odd-numbered Trek movies, IMHO. It just got lumped in with the others as bad because it made a nice pattern, and it WAS (in my opinion at least) not as good as 2, 4, or 6. So while I would still say that, as far as original cast movies go, the even ones are the best, I wouldn't say all the odd ones are bad. (TNG movies were all bad except First Contact, which is actually in the running for my favorite Trek film of all, depending on my mood.)
Yeah, Nemesis totally screwed the odd/even number thing if you had counted it through. I'd rather watch The Search for Spock over Nemesis any day (though when I'm in the mood I usually just go through them all in order).
Old 01-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #1116
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Nemesis is a just another example of what happens when the studio is allowed too much influence into a production. It's the same with most of the Dc Comics movies. When the Studio is allow script revision during filming, editing approval or final cut approval, things often go wrong. The Troi mental Rape scene from what I understand came from Studio "Recommendations" to up the threat of the Reman's. A lot of the tit for tat between Picard and Shinzon was there from the start but the tone of many of the scenes was altered again by studio "Recommendations". Which in most cases means it gets done or people fear for their jobs if not being black listed from the studio all together. It's their money I understand, but most of the best movies happen when studios give directors the freedom to make the movie they envision and don't screw with it.

Darth_Andrea
Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #1117
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
Nemesis is a just another example of what happens when the studio is allowed too much influence into a production. . . The Troi mental Rape scene from what I understand came from Studio "Recommendations" to up the threat of the Reman's . . .
Yeah and that scene, even if it weren't inappropriate, doesn't fit. There's no buildup to show that Shinzon was obsessed with Troi or that there was any advantage to making that move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
... It's their money I understand, but most of the best movies happen when studios give directors the freedom to make the movie they envision and don't screw with it.
Stuart Baird is a great editor with an impressive career, but his two other turns in the director's chair aren't particularly impressive (or bad). He admitted to not knowing or caring about Trek (though that's true of the guy behind ST 2 & 6). I'm not sure he would've done much better with more freedom. The script was still a problem. As a Romulan fan, I'm still POed that they invented the mutant Remans. That's a retcon. Never before had Remus been suggested as anything but another Romulus.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-16-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #1118
Mister Ed

That clip reminds me, wouldn't the temperatures be extreme on the dark side of the planet, too? You'd think they'd all live in the twilight band or something.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #1119
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
That clip reminds me, wouldn't the temperatures be extreme on the dark side of the planet, too? You'd think they'd all live in the twilight band or something.
IIRC (I watched it last year), they do mention the extreme cold, but it's a mining facility with space-station-like infrastructure. Of course, if that's true, the Remans shouldn't have developed more than pasty skin and wide eyes. Mind you, properly Romulans shouldn't even have physical differences from Vulcans. We can thank TNG's retconning for that.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #1120
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
IIRC (I watched it last year), they do mention the extreme cold, but it's a mining facility with space-station-like infrastructure. Of course, if that's true, the Remans shouldn't have developed more than pasty skin and wide eyes. Mind you, properly Romulans shouldn't even have physical differences from Vulcans. We can thank TNG's retconning for that.
I always thought that was especially stupid given that the fact that they looked JUST LIKE Vulcans was an important plot point on TOS. And apparently Spock had no problem blending in on Romulus without any kind of prosthetics, even with TNG-style Romulans, which seems odd.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #1121
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I always thought that was especially stupid given that the fact that they looked JUST LIKE Vulcans was an important plot point on TOS. And apparently Spock had no problem blending in on Romulus without any kind of prosthetics, even with TNG-style Romulans, which seems odd.
Yeah, the Unification episodes make no sense. You'd think someone would say, "look out for a freak with a mutated forehead!"

I don't mind TNG being bolder in their Klingon designs because their look was all over the place between TOS and the movies, but, as you say, the whole point of Romulans was their identity with Romulans. With the Remans added, we're now supposed to believe that there are three different species that evolved from one advanced, bipedal species within about 10,000 years?

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-16-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #1122
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I watched a youtube video today about the Picard project coming up. In it, they suggested that Picard's timeline will presumably be the prime timeline like nothing ever happened. The only ones to see the kelvin timeline from the prime one would be Spock prime, Nero and Nero's crew. For Picard and everyone else, things just carried on like nothing happened after the destruction of the Vulcan world.

And with that notion, the end of the kelvin timeline with the cancellation of Star Trek 4 (14 really) makes me very happy. There is a lot they can do with Picard 20ish years after Nemesis. Hell, even retired, they can use him to introduce the audience to a new cast of characters who can spin off into their own show.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:35 AM   #1123
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I watched a youtube video today about the Picard project coming up. . .
Nerdist just did one tonight too.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.