Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hit the Walgreens - nothing - figured I'm out let me check out Rite Aid - nothing figured lets throw hope to the wind and hit Big Lots - (holy shit they where hit by the Xmas hurricane harder then Walmart) - Nothing there either

....... Errrrr
    My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

no gl at 6 orlando/sanford walmarts 3 targets and probably 9 walgreens only found and picked up a hawkman at one walgreens.

Comment

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
        Damn I completely forgot about Walgreens - Also I have seen The Batman figures at Drug Marts here in Ohio I need to check there

My wife is checking the Walmart by her parents right now I told her to pick up all of them if they have any she said "What if theres 10" I said buy all ten of them
        Well, shoot... if she's actually THAT lucky... I'll take 2!

Too bad Mattel won't just make a case with nothing but Hal Jordan figures in it! Then Lord Mal could just order some for his Mall of Oa, and we could all buy them from him!

But see, that would make sense! And as far as Mattel is concerned, if it makes sense, then it's not allowed! Hence the fact that we only get one GL per case (and one Hawkman, for that matter!) But we get 3 lousy Batman figures decked out in outfits that Bruce Wayne wouldn't touch with SOMEBODY ELSE'S bank account!

But it's not like I expect anything different. This is, after all, the same company that resurrected their biggest toy property of the 1980s (that would be Masters of the Universe, for those that don't already know!) making it better than ever, only to cancel it 2 years later due to poor sales WHICH WERE BROUGHT ABOUT BY THEIR OWN OUTDATED AND IDIOTIC BUSINESS PRACTICES! If you don't get the figures that kids and collectors WANT into the stores, they can't buy them Mattel! DUH!!!
        Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
        I hit the Walgreens - nothing - figured I'm out let me check out Rite Aid - nothing figured lets throw hope to the wind and hit Big Lots - (holy shit they where hit by the Xmas hurricane harder then Walmart) - Nothing there either

....... Errrrr
        Originally posted by Superlantern View Post
        no gl at 6 orlando/sanford walmarts 3 targets and probably 9 walgreens only found and picked up a hawkman at one walgreens.
        Sounds like nothing but empty pegs all around. Today, after work, I worked my way up to the vicinity of Glen Burnie, MD. During my "treasure hunt", I hit...
        • 2 Toys "Я" Us stores.
        • 2 K-Marts and a "Sears Grand" (which is just a rebranded, slightly nicer K-Mart! )
        • All 3 Walgreens in the Glen Burnie area (which are the only ones reasonably close to me.)
        All the stores mentioned had nada, zip, zilch, zero.

1 of the Walgreens didn't have ANY figures from The Batman, and the other 2 both only had 1 figure, the exact same figure at both stores: The Batman's lame, anorexic, emo goth version of the Riddler!

But then again, the ONLY character designs I like on that show are the members of the Justice League, and The Batman himself (when in his traditional grey & black/blue outfit.) Everyone else looks like a steaming pile of felgercarb!

Comment

today will be a good day to check trus they usually get trucks in on friday night

Comment

today will be a good day to check trus they usually get trucks in on friday night
            Must go to TRU --- Must find GL ---- Before I lose my mind!!

oh and my wife found only a row of empty pegs in the toy section yesterday
            My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

this is driving me insane.

Comment

also if anyone wants a effigy dcd or emerald shield I can get them my lcs has 3 effigies and alot of emrald shield... EM used to be marked at 24.95 now down to 14.95

Comment

Actually, TRUs get trucks in most nights!

But that doesn't help us collectors, because they get different items in on different days of the week. What you need to know is which particular night the truck with the Mattel action figure restock comes in, so you can get there at 10 AM (or whatever that store's opening time is) the following morning, to be the first one into the action figure aisle to snatch the figures off of the pegs! And THAT'S the tricky part!

For instance, back in July, when the 25th Anniversary G.I.*Joe figures first hit stores, I wasn't working (the company I used to work for closed all of their MD store locations down in June,) so I could be at TRU or K-Mart or wherever in the morning when they opened to see if the figures were on the shelf/pegs yet. And eventually, I figured out the "schedule" at 2 area locations. The TRU in Glen Burnie, MD was, at the time, receiving the 25th Anniversary Joes on Tuesday nights, and had them out on the aisle by 10 AM Wednesday morning. In the meantime, the store in Columbia, MD was receiving theirs on THURSDAY nights, and had them out in the aisle when they opened on Friday morning. BUT... they weren't getting restocked on them every week! So, after figuring out this "schedule", there were weeks that I was there at 10 AM on the appropriate day, only to find the 25th Anniversary section bare!

So, again, that's the real trick: knowing when your local store gets restocked on the Mattel action figures. What really sucks is that the shopping center I currently work in had a TRU in it for years! And it's in my hometown. So I could EASILY hit that TRU in the morning to look for new stuff, every day if need be! But TRU closed that location a year or 2 back, so now I have to drive at least 20 minutes away to find one, which means I can only hit TRU on mornings that I don't have to open the store. It's a pain in the butt! If the TRU were still open in the shopping center I work in, I'd come in at like 9:45, cut off the store's alarm (so the bosses would see that I had arrived at work early or on time, because they can check the alarm logs), then I'd put up my break sign "back at 10:15" and run around the corner to be there when TRU opened!

But I can't do that now, since TRU shut our local store down!

If I still had that option, I'd be in that store EVERY MORNING until I found GLs for all of us!

Oh, and today, I went to my LCS to pick up this week's books (yay! New GL!!! ^_^) and while I was out that way, I hit the K-Mart 5-10 minutes from my LCS, which was the only K-Mart I go to that I didn't hit last night. They had a TON of figures from The Batman, the most I'd seen at any store while looking! But they were all from previous waves, I saw NONE of the figures from the new wave. There's a KB Toy Works store about 10 minutes from there, but I skipped them because I would've been late to work had I gone there, and KB is always the LAST to get the hot new figures, anyway. When I was hunting down the 25th Anniversary Joes, EVERY major toy retailer received them BEFORE KB. So, I may wait at least a week or more before I start checking that Toy Works store.
                  Jack T. Chance
                  Really knows where his towel is!
                  Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 12-29-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I went to several different stores today and struck out at every one. I saw a couple of the ShadowTek figures but no GLs. A lot of the stores were trashed from Christmas, you think they would hire for over-nite to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by zebra3 View Post
                      I went to several different stores today and struck out at every one. I saw a couple of the ShadowTek figures but no GLs. A lot of the stores were trashed from Christmas, you think they would hire for over-nite to clean up.
                      Well, that's what you get for thinking!

IF they hire overnighters, they're most likely there to put out the new stock ONLY. Which means taking the shipment off the truck, bringing the items out onto the floor, putting them on the shelves/pegs wherever there's room, sticking "leftovers" in the overstock area on the really high shelves or in the back room, depending on how their store does things, and then they're OUT OF THERE! Straightening the aisles is the responsibility of the staff that work the floor during business hours! I thought EVERYONE knew that!

--Dan (Who knows these things because he's been in retail longer than he cares to remember.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
                        Well, that's what you get for thinking!

IF they hire overnighters, they're most likely there to put out the new stock ONLY. Which means taking the shipment off the truck, bringing the items out onto the floor, putting them on the shelves/pegs wherever there's room, sticking "leftovers" in the overstock area on the really high shelves or in the back room, depending on how their store does things, and then they're OUT OF THERE! Straightening the aisles is the responsibility of the staff that work the floor during business hours! I thought EVERYONE knew that!

--Dan (Who knows these things because he's been in retail longer than he cares to remember.)
                        Sorry, I never worked in retail. No offense intended.
                        zebra3
                        Guy's Drinking Buddy
                        Last edited by zebra3; 12-30-2007, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zebra3 View Post
                          Sorry, I never worked in retail. No offense intended.
                          S'okay, not everyone has... even though I'm one of the supporters of the idea that everyone SHOULD.

Yeah, I've been in the industry a long time, long enough to know that big box retailers are NOT the places you want to work! These days, I sell mattresses, and greatly enjoy the MUCH slower pace compared to conventional retail jobs!

At one time, in the mid '90s, I decided I'd had enough of retail, and left the industry to work for a market research firm for a couple years. And after that experience, I decided that conventional office politics are even WORSE, and returned to retail! A couple years after that, I discovered that HIGH END retail, specifically the home furnishings industry (furniture and mattress stores) is the place to be... at least for me!

Comment

My LCS also has a Effigy a Guardians Two-pack from DCD GL Wave 1 and Blackhand from the same wave and a Red Son GL
                            My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

also a star saphire

btw does anyoone else see those shitty DCSH Scarecrows in thier TRUs and targets and almost want to buy them in order to clear the shelves

Comment

also a star saphire

btw does anyoone else see those shitty DCSH Scarecrows in thier TRUs and targets and almost want to buy them in order to clear the shelves
                                Yes, I saw them, but no, I didn't want to buy one. But one of the K-Marts I went to yesterday still had that AWESOME DCSH figure of Lex Luthor in his bright green armor from the 1980s! I should have bought it then and there, but I was focused, with laser-like intensity, solely on finding the new GL figure, if there was one anywhere to be found.

If it's still there when I go back tomorrow to pick-up something else I saw that I wanted (the JLU GL Corps 3-pack with Kyle "Raynor", which I still haven't picked up) then I may pick it up, just because it's a really cool figure! I always thought the original Super Powers figure was cool, but this new, larger version sculpted by the 4 Horsemen is about 20 times cooler!

Comment

Working...
                                X