The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 03-31-2014, 02:48 AM   #26
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I like the color corps,well the idea. I think with alot of them less is more. I think focus on them one at a time would have been more entertaining.Itr was all too much too fast. I can see where alot of people have a bad taset in thier mouths with them but,I promise you the idea is not trash,It can use a rest,though.

Hey I like vol 5. Sinestro back as a Green Lantern. Love it. However like most of Goeff's good ideas it did not get played out right. I wanted to See Sinestro be a dick to the JLA and put perspective on just how powerful GL's are. I would have loved to see Sinestro verbally abuse some people,and make fun of all the faults that are obvious with that team. Then end it with Him only speaking with Wonder Woman and Aquaman because they really are the only ones with enough athourity,worthy of the great protector's time.

As usual though Goeff,just left the oprtunity behind to push the next big event. Such a tragic waste.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #27
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Brightest Day resurrected the wrong heroes and villains, with no viable explanation.
What about Swampy? I loved his rebirth in BD much more than its retelling in New 52 vol. 1.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
What about Swampy? I loved his rebirth in BD much more than its retelling in New 52 vol. 1.
I'm of the opposite opinion. I don't care for the Brightest Day arc. It all seems so temporary and in the moment, like nothing anybody would ever want to reread or refer back to. A moment in time for comics we all forgot as soon as it was finished. And then the nU 52 version of Swamp Thing exists as its own thing apart from that. At the time it seemed like a mistake to me to not be in continuity with the issues that had literally JUST preceded it, but in hindsight making Swamp Thing volume 5 untethered from the BD event that launched it ended up working for the series. At least for me anyway.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #29
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If you think about it, very few ideas have gotten over with fans of DC and Marvel in the past 75 years. So to become so enthusiastic about the emotional spectrum that you'd build the Green Lantern franchise around it was a bad move almost by definition. DC got giddy and lost its head over Geoff's success with Rebirth -- which really was just what a lot of fans had been demanding for a very long time. It was like they were so desperate for a success that they overreacted when they finally had one. The flop of the GL movie was part of the same problem.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #30
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I honestly don't know exactly where they "went wrong". I know what things bugged ME (Mary Sue-nestro, retroactively evil Guardians, constant massive threats with little in the way of downtime or smaller stories, lack of any non-ring-using supporting cast), but I'm not willing to assume that those are universally accepted as flaws.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

They are.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #32
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
They are.
Well then I guess this thread is over now.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #33
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Loved Vol. 4 and the beginning of Vol. 5.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #34
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Well it strayed from its inatial course,but I would still say it was probably the most sucessful GL run of all time.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #35
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

It was. But, as with most things, popularity does not equal quality. I would've taken Hal staying "dead" and GL being cancelled again over all of that heavy retcon bullshit.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #36
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

-- You don't need constant upheaval with the fundamentals of your mythos. Show some respect for what earlier writers have done, get it the way you want it FAST, and then just tell stories. Don't spend 10 years building up your favorite guy to become the boss. Do that right away, if it's so important.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #37
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
It was. But, as with most things, popularity does not equal quality. I would've taken Hal staying "dead" and GL being cancelled again over all of that heavy retcon bullshit.
I differ,there. Though I like #25 of Vol3,and most of the Kyle stuff, There was alot of Crap there. Kyle may be the only good thing to come out of that run. As with Vol 4 We get the Return of Sinestro,Hal,Hammanod,the Green Lantern Corps,Atracotious-Nekrons new Look,Cyborg Superman as the Man Hunters head masters.

I mean it can be said that,Vol 4 had alot of good ideas that never got flushed out,but it still had good ideas. As Vol 3 was for the most part trendy filler. We got Kyle outta the Deal,but I am gonna say Vol,4 was the better deal,as where it was about destroying things Vol 4 was about rebuilding and creating. Ironic that The most Creative GL's run was the most destructive.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #38
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I thought it all went wrong at the end of Blackest Night. The ending was lackluster and anticlimactic, but I could actually live with that. This would have been the perfect opportunity for the Starburst Squadrons to go back to their little cubbyholes in the universe and stay there, but they hung around until the masses got sick of them.

Brightest Day was absolute crap, and had very little to do with Green Lantern outside of the zero and first issues. BD was nothing more than a marketing ploy to get all DC fans to read other titles, which turned me off even further... and then, the ultimate purpose of BD was to revive Swamp Thing?! Good grief.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #39
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Brightest Day was absolute crap, and had very little to do with Green Lantern outside of the zero and first issues. BD was nothing more than a marketing ploy to get all DC fans to read other titles, which turned me off even further... and then, the ultimate purpose of BD was to revive Swamp Thing?! Good grief.
Ultimately BD was supposed to be a soft-reboot. Yes, bring Swampy back and change the status quo of Firestorm etc.
Flashpoint was supposed to be a soft-reboot too, until DC decided to go full-retard.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #40
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

The last page of the last issue

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #41
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

It started mid-blackest night for me. I'd joke at the beginning that this event was really a large scale Brave and the Bold with Hal and Barry, but I was really enjoying it, then they showed Nekron, and at the time I was fine with this version, but the ending still felt lacking.

Then they revealed Krona as the next big bad, and although I knew of Krona, I never read any stories with him. I've read his wiki before and saw pictures, so when they showed him as Krona Jr it felt wrong; as he was small instead of his usual tallness, last shown the wiki told me he was a soul of a planet which magically ceased to be, and he seemed a little more psychotic then the images I've had always seen. So during the GLCWar event I read everything that Krona was in, and that was a mistake.

I ended up loving Nekron, Lord of the Living's concept vs the Entropy-Nekron Johns showed, and now dislike Blackest Night instead of thinking it as alright. And reading JLA Vs Avengers, and Trinity, then reading GLC War was like having cosmic gold in one hand, and a dog's shit molded as a gold bar in the other. It took several heroes, and cosmic beings before to take him down, but at the end of GLCWar he gets cheaply one shotted like a punk. It also didn't help that Krona caring about replacing the guardians was out of character for the cosmic scientist that only cared about learning the universe's secrets. Plus before he was the soul of a planet! We could've had a story where Krona as a planet was commanding his population to carry out his deeds, and to me that's more cosmic gold to have had.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #42
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Volume 4 started losing steam in the middle of the War of Light stuff and everything got played out too quick. And they let Geoff write the complete volume. After Sin War it got too old too fast.

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Vol. 4 got off to a magnificent start with a variety of one issue story arcs and shorter fare. We got tight little stories with The Shark, Alan Scott, and even Batman... it was great stuff. And the buildup to the Sinestro Corps War was palpable, and that first Sinestro Corps War special was awesome.

Every issue from that point on was a plateau, everything a larger than life big event cliffhanging into the next into the next into the next with no room for Hal (or readers) to breathe until we get suffocated into not caring about what's going on anymore.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #44
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I agree.I don't think Blackest night was bad,but it could have been better.I credit Goeff and Ethan and Ivan for making Green Lantern Iconic. But I also have to say that his run made me Hate events and Alt covers. Hel I don't even really like story archs anymore. Stop wasting page space with that new 52 news crap and give us some stand alone issues.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #45
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Stop wasting page space with that new 52 news crap and give us some stand alone issues.
Remember the 90s when Kyle's stories were like one crossover after another?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #46
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Stop wasting page space with that new 52 news crap and give us some stand alone issues.
what the hell is with that anyway? Two pages, completely gone to waste every month! If they're just going to piss them away, they would be better served to bring back the letter collumns. The whole point of getting rid of the LCs was that they supposedly didn't have the pages to spare. You could use those two current pages as bird cage liners.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #47
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
Remember the 90s when Kyle's stories were like one crossover after another?
Spaced months to years apart. And they lasted a few issues at most. Nor did they require years of back reading for them to make even a tiny bit of sense.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #48
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
what the hell is with that anyway? Two pages, completely gone to waste every month! If they're just going to piss them away, they would be better served to bring back the letter collumns. The whole point of getting rid of the LCs was that they supposedly didn't have the pages to spare. You could use those two current pages as bird cage liners.
I think the lettercols were dropped because Internet message boards made them untimely and irrelevant.

There should be one page of DCU news with a box in its lower right corner containing a promo for the upcoming issue of that particular title. If they can't sell enough ad to fill up that other page then they should run public service announcements.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-21-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #49
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
I think the lettercols were dropped because Internet message boards made them untimely and irrelevant.
I think that's it too.

I agree, though, we don't need the C.52 stuff, especially when there's the final, final page highlighting current major events.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #50
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I think that's it too.

I agree, though, we don't need the C.52 stuff, especially when there's the final, final page highlighting current major events.
The message boards also exposed the lettercols as being phony and heavily censored to accent the praise the comics receive.