The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default The DC Comics Thread vol. 2

Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Comics September Solicits Confirm Canceled Titles [Update]

Captain Atom, Resurrection Man, and Voodoo.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Not Resurrection Man! Noooooooooooooo.......
Old 06-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Black Manta
Senior Corps Member

Send a message via AIM to Black Manta Send a message via MSN to Black Manta

wonder what book Freddie Williams is going to be on next, love his art.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Captain Atom?!? I know it was a slow build up but why DC? WHY?!?

Is there no justice for Charlton characters? With JLI cancelled he can't even be added to a team roster.... cause God knows Geoff won't add him to the mainstream JL.

This is a sad day indeed. I loved the art on the CA series and all I really needed to see was Cap taking on some villain in the New52 with some potential, like the Parasite, or another of Superman's more powerful foes....

~KL~
Old 06-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Nothing says creativity like fighting a Superman villain...
Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I really loved Resurrection Man, I am sad at this cancellation.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I read the first 5 issues of Resurrection Man but quickly lost interest in it. The magic from the first series just wasn't there the second time around.

And am I the only one who get a morbid sense of entertainment watching deadweight titles get picked off? I love scanning the solicits for "FINAL ISSUE" blurbs. Every time a bottom dwelling title gets the axe, the winds of change come along and something newtakes its place.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
ns2
Your Clash At Demonhead

Why did JLI get cancelled

Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Because somebody realized it never should have been published in the first place.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Fearless
Agent Orange

Heresy! The JLI was going strong off of Justice League: Generation Lost and THAT set-up could've held it's own series. It's because of the fucking reboot that this series lost steam and couldn't hold up.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
Because somebody realized it never should have been published in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
Heresy! The JLI was going strong off of Justice League: Generation Lost and THAT set-up could've held it's own series. It's because of the fucking reboot that this series lost steam and couldn't hold up.
Agreed. I think the title we GOT shouldn't have been published. It had its good points, but they were none too great, and I spent most of the time lamenting the fact that they totally THREW AWAY the momentum they built with Genration Lost. IMHO, that series is the ONLY reason this one even got made, which makes it all the more absurd that they decided to not only totally ignore IT, but to retroactively wipe out the entire JLI run as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

Yeah I agree if we did have the JL:GL setup and including Judd Winick as the writer I think it would've kept steam. The whole Reboot thing really hurt. Though I absolutely love JLI and it has made August General in Iron one of my favorite characters and Guy did a lot of badass shit in it and OMAC is in it too, I think it could've been better.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I picked up the first 6 issues of JLI and enjoyed them, but I think a team filled out with better members would have done it some good. Batman was good in it, however I'd have rather seen Nightrunner or Chief Man of Bats take his place when he left.

Captain Atom would've been nice to see in the team before it's cancellation, and after seeing B'Wana Beast in the first issue I was hoping he'd join sooner than later. But Godiva? Rocket Red? Even August General in Iron was cool, but he was an odd choice for the League, even if it was a separate team. Fire and Ice made sense, but even adding Guy when he's already in space with the GLC seemed forced. With the Charlton characters, Milestone, Wildstorm, Quality, and Fawcett characters in DC's arsenal a better team could've been put together I'm sure....

~KL~
Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #15
d3v1lb0y
Red Lantern Black Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
why him???? why?

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y
Old 06-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
Fearless
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post

Don't worry, he'll be back.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #17
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
Captain Atom?!? I know it was a slow build up but why DC? WHY?!?
Because it had shitty sales and wasn't exactly critically acclaimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Nothing says creativity like fighting a Superman villain...
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
And am I the only one who get a morbid sense of entertainment watching deadweight titles get picked off? I love scanning the solicits for "FINAL ISSUE" blurbs. Every time a bottom dwelling title gets the axe, the winds of change come along and something newtakes its place.
That is exactly how I feel! Out with the old in with the new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
The first mistake was not putting Winnick on the book, Generation Lost was great because of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
I picked up the first 6 issues of JLI and enjoyed them, but I think a team filled out with better members would have done it some good. Batman was good in it, however I'd have rather seen Nightrunner or Chief Man of Bats take his place when he left.

Captain Atom would've been nice to see in the team before it's cancellation, and after seeing B'Wana Beast in the first issue I was hoping he'd join sooner than later. But Godiva? Rocket Red? Even August General in Iron was cool, but he was an odd choice for the League, even if it was a separate team. Fire and Ice made sense, but even adding Guy when he's already in space with the GLC seemed forced. With the Charlton characters, Milestone, Wildstorm, Quality, and Fawcett characters in DC's arsenal a better team could've been put together I'm sure....

~KL~
To the average reader Batwing, Nightrunner and Chief Man of Bats are all interchangeable, the team was fine, the problem lay with the writing.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
W.West

The only problem with titles being canceled is that they have to be now. DC is set on this 52 shit which means even if they were putting out 52 AMAZING books, they'd have to cancel one of them to bring another one in. Its a horrible situation to put yourself in as a company that supposedly relies upon pleasing the fans.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Fortunately, the chances of DC ever actually having 52 AMAZING books at once are practically nil.

UNFORTUNATELY, their judgements about which books should get the axe aren't always going to be ones we agree with. (Though I don't really have a problem with this round, there are other titles I would RATHER have ditched. Red Lanterns for example.)
Old 06-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It also gives them the ability to claim that books are cancelled and replaced due to asthetic reasons and not poor sales. Kind of a backdoor way to avoid aknowledging a book is a flop. They can now just say they told the story they wanted to tell or whatever.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Several ZERO MONTH Creative Changes One-Time Confirms DC
Quote:
A DC spokesperson has confirmed to Newsarama that writer Gregg Hurwitz (Batman: The Dark Knight) is not taking over Detective Comics, despite writing September’s #0 issue, nor will artist Chris Burnham regularly be co-writing Batman Incorporated. That too is (at least for now) a one-time event for the special #0 issue.

Similarly a DC source also tells Newsarama Judd Winick is not joining the Green Arrow creative team. His gig writing the #0 issue is also a one-time deal.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Christos Gage And Darick Robertson Create New DC Comic Series
Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Image Comics – A Threat To DC?
Quote:
It was the double punch of Jupiter’s Children and Happy that seems to have done it.

Frank Quitely and Grant Morrison, creators who had worked for DC on the monster hit All Star Superman, Flex Mentallo and We3 and currently working on one of the Multiversity issues together.

And suddenly Frank Quitely is working with Mark Millar for Image on Jupiter’s Children. A twelve issue series.

And then before you know it, Grant Morrison is working with Darick Robertson for Image on Happy.

And while we’re talking about it, DC Comics had big plans for Bryan Hitch. But he has his own Image comic, America’s Got Powers delaying them.

And Image Comics has started growing. With The Walking Dead tearing up the charts and filling the bookstore sales, repeatedly and consistently beating their rivals, and in May taking over seven percent share of the market, when they were under five percent a couple of months ago. And that’s share of an increasing not decreasing market.

In the past, Marvel and DC exclusives had been quite laissez faire about creator owned contracts. So Jason Aaron could work on Vertigo’s Scalped (even though it’s more of a creator participant deal) without any issue. But with these moves, and the odds that creators are more likely to promote their own owned work than that of a publisher, word has been coming down at DC and I’m told by creators that the latest exclusive contracts are far tighter on creator owned work outside the company.

It might help if DC actually had a decent creator owned imprint, as Marvel does with their Icon deal. DC used to have Piranha Press, but that was some time ago… and Vertigo’s terms contracted a few years ago as well.

Basically, if you are exclusive at DC right now, you are really really exclusive…
Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #24
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Fortunately, the chances of DC ever actually having 52 AMAZING books at once are practically nil.
just watch itll be 52 all new batman titles like we really need it
Old 06-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #25
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

So surprisingly all the Liefeld books actually had higher sales with im coming on board, Deathstroke was up ~4k, and both Grifter and Hawkman got a ~1k bump.