Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

0.00%
    11.11%
    44.44%
    33.33%
    11.11%

Issue out, poll up!

Comment

I think I prefer Sandoval over EVS on this book.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
        I thought this issue was well-suited to Van Sciver. IMHO, he excels at splashes with multiple weird aliens (while static shots emphasizing human anatomy would be less so) and there was a bunch of that here. I thought the Green Lantern's Light/Sinestro's Might splash was particularly fun.

Either way, I liked the faster pace of this issue. And the way the GLs fought Larfleeze was cool.

Comment

... so i'm not the only one? good, EVS doesn't do it for me and never will.

Comment

Same here. Nothing against EVS - he's still good, but I'm not as into it. Sandoval's art is just very pleasing to my eyes.

Anyway, Considering this storyline started out with Starro then brought in Brainiac, only to have Larfleeze be the one behind it all, this was a bit anti-climactic as climaxes go. I liked John's strategy of using Larfleeze's fear of loss against him, but they made the point of making sure Tomar-Tu's city couldn't expand while they were all underground, but then went on to smash every bottle in sight - were they just lucky there wasn't any other cities or something else incredibly huge in those jars that would have killed them all if it expanded?

Comment

I enjoyed Bottled Light more than any GL story in the last few years. All of the main GLs showed their distinct personalities effectively. Larfleeze, although still humorous, was portrayed as wily and vicious, just as he should be. I'm often not a fan of "shrink the characters" stories as they are often just a way to remove the main players, provide some action that has no consequences in the full-sized world, then restore them from the narrative break. This certainly didn't feel that way.

I was especially happy to see Kyle's white ring used for a particularly special purpose. The panels where he was restoring Hal's body just dripped with drama, despite being a foregone conclusion that Jordan would return. This story justified the events of New Guardians more than the series did itself. I was genuinely moved to see Kyle "resurrect" Hal and eventually the whole band get back together.
              Big Blue Lantern
              Corps Honor Guard
              Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 01-15-2017, 12:33 PM.
              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
                Same here. Nothing against EVS - he's still good, but I'm not as into it. Sandoval's art is just very pleasing to my eyes.

Anyway, Considering this storyline started out with Starro then brought in Brainiac, only to have Larfleeze be the one behind it all, this was a bit anti-climactic as climaxes go. I liked John's strategy of using Larfleeze's fear of loss against him, but they made the point of making sure Tomar-Tu's city couldn't expand while they were all underground, but then went on to smash every bottle in sight - were they just lucky there wasn't any other cities or something else incredibly huge in those jars that would have killed them all if it expanded?
                I imagine they were selective about they released. Jars with cities and other such large objects were probably left until they could be restored in their proper places.

Comment

Three stars.

Plot was predictable and yet so comfortable. Larfleeze as a threat, not a comic relief. Hail, hail, all the gang's back - including Kyle. I also liked the Yellows working with the Greens, instead of the usual stab-in-the-back.

Is Hal Jordan still the leader? Because John Stewart's not giving up the reins just yet. There's also the result of Brainaic standing by, and the (real) Larfleeze finally showing that yes, he is the "hands-on" type. And that Larfleeze kills & replicates what he gets familiar with, to keep growing his Corps.

Artwork was very acceptable, not exquisite, but good enough. There were only a few panels I could complain about, the very last one, for instance. Characterizations were somewhat fluid. I found the rescued Xudarians (sp?) still not trusting the GLC rather interesting. It looks like the GLC will have a long road to go to get back what the Sinestro Corps and the Third Army has taken from them.

Comment

The New 52 Lobo was in a bottle... and stayed on the shelves.

Guess DC has finally come to their senses about Lobo...
                    :Gray Lantern the True Neutral:

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberium View Post

I noticed that too. It seemed like a shoulder shrug and "well, we tried, folks."

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberium View Post

Haha that was a great moment.

I actually liked the series, but it could have easily starred someone else. I don't have a history of liking or following Lobo but it was one of the few cosmic titles coming out so I bit.

Even without knowing much about him (other than his animated appearances and a few crossovers), I can see how most fans wouldn't like that version.

Comment

Working...
                        X