Artist: Rafa Sandoval

0.00%
    0.00%
    41.67%
    41.67%
    16.67%

man.. the art here looks so good

Comment

I must admit, I am enjoying this version of Hal. Despite the fact he is my all time favorite DC character, his repeated eras of navel gazing and self doubt get extremely old and tiring. This Hal seems confident and driven. I don't like the characterization that Hal is 'Stan Spontaneous' and never has or respects a plan either. It makes it seem like he is just incredibly lucky. I prefer to think of him as someone who never has paralysis from analysis but can come up with a successful plan on the fly. It will also set up an interesting dynamic between he and John once the gang is back together. John the more structured marine/architect and Hal the more less blueprint more dive in type. Though if that is the dynamic they are setting up where does that leave Guy? Is Hal the midpoint between the two extremes or is Guy just Hal +5.
      EmeraldGladiator
      Manhunter Repairman
      Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 08-09-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
        I must admit, I am enjoying this version of Hal. Despite the fact he is my all time favorite DC character, his repeated eras of navel gazing and self doubt get extremely old and tiring. This Hal seems confident and driven. I don't like the characterization that Hal is 'Stan Spontaneous' and never has or respects a plan either. It makes it seem like he is just incredibly lucky. I prefer to think of him as someone who never has paralysis from analysis but can come up with a successful plan on the fly. It will also set up an interesting dynamic between he and John once the gang is back together. John the more structured marine/architect and Hal the more less blueprint more dive in type. Though if that is the dynamic they are setting up where does that leave Guy? Is Hal the midpoint between the two extremes or is Guy just Hal +5.
        Considering some of the previews state that Guy is missing it look like they're going to kick that can down the road for a while.

Comment

Issue out. Poll up. Review here.

Comment

I love this week, when my two favorite DC books come out, HJ&tGLC and Detective Comics.

Comment

I must admit, I am enjoying this version of Hal. Despite the fact he is my all time favorite DC character, his repeated eras of navel gazing and self doubt get extremely old and tiring. This Hal seems confident and driven.
              Agree 100%. Great to see Hal kickin' butt and takin' names. It's a little undermined by the fact that Hal's looking for the Corps and we all know they're relatively fine,(the survivors anyway) just licking their wounds and getting their bearings. I also have to wonder if we're going to actually find out what happened to the Corps. I feel like that won't be addressed, and we'll just be dealing with Sinestro but I would like to see that tied up before this is all over.

It's interesting that the Corps is severely depleted and having trouble replenishing its ranks. I wonder where this is going...?

Loved seeing Sinestro's reaction to Hal - despite being a "disappointment," Sinestro's lost to Hal time and again and his instructions to tell his corpsmen to retreat shows that Sinestro still knows to not underestimate him.

Venditti's scenes with Sinestro really show how much he really understands Sinestro post-Johns. While I got tired of seeing him, Johns did a great job building up Sinestro as a nuanced villain whose motivations you could understand, even if you would never agree with his actions. Much better than the one-dimensional villains of old. I like that Soranik got the last jab in their scene together.

I wonder why Guy needs a backpack - GL's never needed one before.... I get that the visual is to impress upon us that he's going out on his own, alone with just the resources on his back, etc... but it just seems a bit silly.

Overall, a great start and it's raising my hopes up. So many stories that start out well end with a dud, but I am once again hopeful that this will not be the case.

Comment

I love this week, when my two favorite DC books come out, HJ&tGLC and Detective Comics.
                Turned into my favorite week as well, but for me its Flash and Hal/GLC

I liked this one, even got my buddy and my brother to sub to it as well.

Venditti is trying to win some people back and I'm glad it's working(at least for me)

Comment

This is good stuff, the kind of GL stories that I enjoy, Hal with a sense of clarity and drive, going up against a well thought out and powerful antagonist. One of my favorite Sinestro Corps members, Slushh (always loved the character design) made an appearance and there was some good interaction between Sinestro and his daughter. Good character moments for Guy and John. The only thing missing was an appearance by Arisia but ah well. It's not reinventing the wheel or anything but a very solid to good issue.

Comment

Good character moments for Guy and John
                    Just to add my thoughts about that for anyone who may be curious about John Stewart's role in this series, nothing in this series is worth a John Stewart fan's time/money.
                    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Green Lantern post-Rebirth > Green Lantern pre-Rebirth.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                        Just to add my thoughts about that for anyone who may be curious about John Stewart's role in this series, nothing in this series is worth a John Stewart fan's time/money.
                        We've had all of two issues and no resemblance of a major plot for ANY character besides Sinestro. I think its a bit early to start calling it a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                          We've had all of two issues and no resemblance of a major plot for ANY character besides Sinestro. I think its a bit early to start calling it a waste.
                          Well, of course, I can only go off of what I've seen (which is actually three issues, and admittedly, I only skim them because I don't buy the book, but I have read all of John's parts). I don't know if the book would be a waste generally, but from a John Stewart fan's point of view, I think it has been so far, and I reckon it will be in general. I'm confident Venditti will try to do 'something' with John Stewart, but I'm quite skeptical it will be anything the character's fanbase in general will actually appreciate, especially since Venditti has so many other things he can concentrate on that will likely get much more attention. And my feeling going from what I've seen so far and the solicits is that it will probably be so far down the line that many of John's fans will have lost all interest at that point (if they ever had any).

I only mentioned that at all since someone says John Stewart has good moments (he does not, in my opinion), and I've read elsewhere that people were curious and concerned about what role he would play in this series.
                          Star-Lantern
                          Weaponer of Qward
                          Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-12-2016, 04:57 AM.
                          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                            Green Lantern post-Rebirth > Green Lantern pre-Rebirth.
                            Are you talking this current Rebirth, or the original GL Rebirth that brought back Hal and the Corps?

If the latter, and if you are talking about immediately pre and post, I'll agree. I certainly don't agree with that as a blanket statement about ALL GL pre vs. post that Rebirth.

That is often the case with a major shakeup, IMHO. Even though I thought ET itself was terrible, and went too far in trashing all that came before, I still thought GL immediately post-ET was better than GL immediately pre-ET.

If you are talking about this most current Rebirth....I don't think we've seen enough to say for sure that is the case yet, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

Comment

He's saying the 3 issues we've gotten are better than the pre-rebirth run we just had with Venditti and Tan

Comment

Working...
                              X