The J.R.R. Tolkien Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lantern of Gallifrey View Post
    They couldn't do anything in the Silmarillion because they don't own the rights to it.
    I don't think I'd trust them with it anyway.

Comment

• Me neither, it'd be pretty damn difficult to make it work

Comment

• Tolkein essentially wrote the treatments for two more trilogies. The Akallabeth is much more sketchy, but the story is there.

It would be as easy to make two trilogies by fleshing out those blueprints as it was to make a trilogy from The Lord of the Rings, which involved cutting stuff out, giving female characters more to do and adding some humor. And even easier than it was to make three movies out of The Hobbit, which was very much a stretch.

I've had my fill of the slo-mo battle scenes though. Those need a rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          I don't think I'd trust them with it anyway.
          Ditto
          Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• Re the battle scenes: In the LOTR books, when Frodo and Sam get separated from the others at the end of TFOTR and meet Gollum, the story divides into two alternating parts, and the part with Frodo, Sam and Gollum is much better than the other part. Peter Jackson used the battle scenes as Hamburger Helper to jazz up the other part, and it worked very well. But before The Hobbit had ended, you had seen too many battles. If any more movies are made, that needs to be kept to a minimum, and in fact I'd like to see the slo-mo technique abandoned entirely.
            Trey Strain
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-31-2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
              Re the battle scenes: In the LOTR books, when Frodo and Same get separated from the others at the end of TFOTR and meet Gollum, the story divides into two alternating parts . . .
              Yeah, Tolkien conceived of the LotR as a giant novel in six parts (TFOTR divides before and after Rivendell), but his publisher insisted it be published in three parts.

Comment

• Good god Lurtz is even more of an ugly sumbitch on Blu-Ray

Also, Gandalf the Grey > Gandalf the White
                Booster Beetle
                Will break before he bends
                Last edited by Booster Beetle; 09-01-2015, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• I think it would be for the best to let the Middle Earth cinematic world end now. Hobbit and LOTR were the only things well loved enough to adapt anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                    I think it would be for the best to let the Middle Earth cinematic world end now. Hobbit and LOTR were the only things well loved enough to adapt anyway.
                    Ah but The Silmarillion and The Akallabeth don't take place in Middle Earth. They take place in the western realm. No hobbits, no dwarves, no orcs, no trolls. I imagine no dragons either. Just elves and humans.

Comment

• Yeah I would love to see at least some of those First and Second Age stories adapted. The way the Fall of Gondolin was written could be beautifully executed on film.

Comment

• I agree with Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
                          Ah but The Silmarillion and The Akallabeth don't take place in Middle Earth. They take place in the western realm. No hobbits, no dwarves, no orcs, no trolls. I imagine no dragons either. Just elves and humans.
                          Not true. Silmarillion has plenty of dwarves and orcs, and Glaurung wrecks a ton of shit here and there, and that's before Ancalagon the Black shows up.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• I remember in Silm. that the Dwarves were actually made before the Elves (though this was considered a mistake and they were put in hibernation), which made me very happy because they were always my favorite.

Comment

• And it does take place in Middle-earth. Just because Beleriand was destroyed doesn't mean it wasn't Middle-earth. And I don't believe any humans ever went to the "western realm".

On another note here is a good video that tells a lot about the Shire. I however still can not, for the life of me, figure out how to post a freaking video.
                              https://youtu.be/9lvC2bNplsg
                              Lantern of Gallifrey
                              Senior Corps Member
                              Last edited by Lantern of Gallifrey; 09-01-2015, 09:06 PM.
                              Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• Originally posted by Lantern of Gallifrey View Post
                                And it does take place in Middle-earth. Just because Beleriand was destroyed doesn't mean it wasn't Middle-earth. And I don't believe any humans ever went to the "western realm".
                                Yeah, it's Middle Earth or a proto-Middle Earth if you will (like the equivalent of pre-Continental Drift). You can even spot geographic overlap by comparing the maps.

Comment

Working...
                                X