The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2020, 12:23 AM   #101
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,456
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

So Alan Scott is all about being a gay character in danger from homophobia, Bree Jarta is all about being an oppressed woman of color dealing with racism, and Guy Gardner is all about being a dumb "alpha male" white guy. This is the GL show they give us.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/green...0225#gs.m2ogxo

https://cosmicbook.news/green-lanter...GBCJyvCxi0BCjY
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #102
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,914
Default

Wait, Guy has a wife and daughter? That's different.

What time period was the Earth 2 series set in? Are they taking Alan's original character's setting and dropping Earth 2 Alan into it, or was that Earth set in the equivalent of the 40s as well?

If not, then it seems sort of odd to make the character resemble the original Alan as much as possible, but just make him gay. That just ensures that if any viewers ever are inspired to look at the comics, no matter what version they look at, it won't match the show. Unless they are planning a comic reveal that the original Alan was a closeted gay man this entire time, living a lie.
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #103
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,456
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

It sounds like they're going to have gay Alan Scott in the 1940s on the run from homophobes as kind of a background framing device while the oppressed black lady wrangles the doofus Gardner in the present.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #104
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It sounds like they're going to have gay Alan Scott in the 1940s on the run from homophobes as kind of a background framing device while the oppressed black lady wrangles the doofus Gardner in the present.
Oh good god. Why not just have alan scott have pig tails a dress and red slippers and he can click his heels 3 times wishing he was a fully transitioned woman next? Hell since there removing his balls anyway why not stick twinkle toes alan scott in the kitchen with the whole women belong in the kitchen cooking 1940 1950 depiction of women in that time? Seriously as a green lantern fan the character and label is dead to me.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 11-22-2020 at 06:36 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:19 AM   #105
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

The more I hear about the GLC show, the more it sounds like a woke trainwreck hackjob. I'm just done with that kind of entertainment. I'm not spending time or money on it. By the time this show sashes onto tv screens, I'll be done buying Green Lantern comics too. I'll keep treasuring the good comics, 1959 to about 2008.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:27 AM   #106
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Problem is now every show has to either gay it up or be pro female with woman power or shove a poc down our throats. I feel with a guy like berlantie its going to be non stop wokeness wich ruins it for me.
Unfortunately, if you're going to take that view, you probably will be disappointed with the show. What you call "gaying it up" and "woman power" is just reflective of reality. Look at any branch of the US military, and you will find a considerable amount of women, people of color, and gay/bi individuals. What you see as "woke", I just see as reality. Just like there are actors/actresses of different heights, eye colors, and hair colors, there are also the previously mentioned human characteristics. It's not an agenda, it's just the human condition.

The other factor that you might consider is that it's likely that the vast majority of the characters on this show will be aliens. While we can expect reasonable origin stories and the occasional ones involving the Lantern's families, I don't expect the HBO show to repeat one of the biggest mistakes of the 2011 movie and spend too much time on Earth. The Green Lantern Corps is a space drama at its heart, and I expect Berlanti to understand and exploit that this time.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:44 AM   #107
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 27,661
Blog Entries: 2
Default

^I don't think it's a matter of reflecting or not reflecting the world. It's re-writing the history of a brand to sell a political view.

If you were making all new characters and reflected the diversity as you'd likely come across it, that would be one thing. For instance, if you were making a story about a bunch of twenty-somethings living in modern NYC, it would ridiculous to have them all be straight, white males.

But they're re-writing the narrative; de-emphasizing the characters that have been the long-standing focus because they are inconveniently straight males.

Alan Scott isn't gay. A short-lived alternate-reality version was. But they will present that version (and likely in marketing promote it as THE comic version) because they can get extra points. Ditto if Guy is presented as some neanderthal example of toxic masculinity. That's not being true to the core of the franchise. It's pandering.

I mean I can see how that would appeal to some, but I'm sure you can see how that could also be an insult to Alan and Guy fans or even (by their absence) Hal, John, and Kyle fans?
__________________

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-23-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #108
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Unfortunately, if you're going to take that view, you probably will be disappointed with the show. What you call "gaying it up" and "woman power" is just reflective of reality. Look at any branch of the US military, and you will find a considerable amount of women, people of color, and gay/bi individuals. What you see as "woke", I just see as reality. Just like there are actors/actresses of different heights, eye colors, and hair colors, there are also the previously mentioned human characteristics. It's not an agenda, it's just the human condition.
Ever stop to think people want to escape reality without any bull shit trying to turn a established character into something political just for identity politics? What if i said a movie biopic of mlk should be played by a white guy in the role? People will argue its racist or white washing despite the actor. Military isnt the discussion nor does it have anything to do with creative art or literature. And gullible people like you would say its racist but you say the opposite in reverse. Your grasping at straws because the real world is this . The real world just coexists with eachother that dosent mean i have to know or accept what people gay or straight do in there lives. Do you just assume i as a straight man need to remind society by saying im straight or force you to be ucomfortable in public by making out with my gf or wife and you must acknowledge me in all forms of media and pop culture or parades otherwise you are a hetrophobic person . People need to get out of this mindset of everyone will get a long. Its a impossible task. I also dont think i should be forced to like someone let a lone someone i dont know. The world is not allways going to agree and i dont think people should be labeled racist sexist homophobic for not agreeing.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 11-23-2020 at 06:32 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:26 AM   #109
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^I don't think it's a matter of reflecting or not reflecting the world. It's re-writing the history of a brand to sell a political view.

If you were making all new characters and reflected the diversity as you'd likely come across it, that would be one thing. For instance, if you were making a story about a bunch of twenty-somethings living in modern NYC, it would ridiculous to have them all be straight, white males.

But they're re-writing the narrative; de-emphasizing the characters that have been the long-standing focus because they are inconveniently straight males.

Alan Scott isn't gay. A short-lived alternate-reality version was. But they will present that version (and likely in marketing promote it as THE comic version) because they can get extra points. Ditto if Guy is presented as some neanderthal example of toxic masculinity. That's not being true to the core of the franchise. It's pandering.

I mean I can see how that would appeal to some, but I'm sure you can see how that could also be an insult to Alan and Guy fans or even (by their absence) Hal, John, and Kyle fans?
I can see that POV to a degree, but I can't understand how it would be make-or-break for a fan of the GLC franchise. For instance, if the 4 titular characters of this show exist together at some point, that already means that they're modified from their comic versions. I don't expect them to be point-for-point adaptations, so since we've seen a version of Alan that is gay, that is fair game for source material. If I had to guess, I'd say that we're most likely to get the fused version of Alan that we saw in GL80.

There are also a lot of characteristics that make a character who he/she is. Changing one aspect doesn't mean that a character is completely gutted. Hypothetically, if Kyle were to show up eventually but he isn't the same woman magnet 20-something whom I first read, I won't write off the new version as an INO.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #110
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^I don't think it's a matter of reflecting or not reflecting the world. It's re-writing the history of a brand to sell a political view.

If you were making all new characters and reflected the diversity as you'd likely come across it, that would be one thing. For instance, if you were making a story about a bunch of twenty-somethings living in modern NYC, it would ridiculous to have them all be straight, white males.

But they're re-writing the narrative; de-emphasizing the characters that have been the long-standing focus because they are inconveniently straight males.

Alan Scott isn't gay. A short-lived alternate-reality version was. But they will present that version (and likely in marketing promote it as THE comic version) because they can get extra points. Ditto if Guy is presented as some neanderthal example of toxic masculinity. That's not being true to the core of the franchise. It's pandering.

I mean I can see how that would appeal to some, but I'm sure you can see how that could also be an insult to Alan and Guy fans or even (by their absence) Hal, John, and Kyle fans?
I would assume its more insulting to the groups there trying to reach by saying since new minority characters cant sell we want to stick your specific group to the wonder woman label or superman label because if a minority character had that brand name sales will happen. Its there lazy way of not being new or risky
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #111
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Ever stop to think people want to escape reality without any bull shit trying to turn a established character into something political just for identity politics? .
Then I would ask how did you become a GL fan in the first place? GL's progressive characters go back to Carol Ferris being Hal's boss. That wasn't exactly commonplace in the 60s, and it ruffled some feathers. Then we have DC's first African-American character as part of the GL mythos. I know that didn't sit well with everyone back in 1971. And long before we had the E2 gay Alan Scott, we had Kyle's buddy Terry Berg. His coming out was a major story point, as was his treatment by the world after he was publicly gay. Since Green Lantern was conceptualized as a space drama in 1959, it's always been one of the most diverse cast of characters in comics. So why object now? What you call "identity politics" (and I just see as logical) has always been in GL's DNA, at least past the Golden Age.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:46 AM   #112
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Then I would ask how did you become a GL fan in the first place? GL's progressive characters go back to Carol Ferris being Hal's boss. That wasn't exactly commonplace in the 60s, and it ruffled some feathers. Then we have DC's first African-American character as part of the GL mythos. I know that didn't sit well with everyone back in 1971. And long before we had the E2 gay Alan Scott, we had Kyle's buddy Terry Berg. His coming out was a major story point, as was his treatment by the world after he was publicly gay. Since Green Lantern was conceptualized as a space drama in 1959, it's always been one of the most diverse cast of characters in comics. So why object now? What you call "identity politics" (and I just see as logical) has always been in GL's DNA, at least past the Golden Age.
Your missing my point. I never said i had issues with new gay characters to where im not reminded every fn issue that this person is gay. i have issue with race gender sexuality swapping with established characters .How would you feel if marvel made logan a caitlyn jenner type just because they want eqality wich changing logan to a caitlyn jenner type does nothing for the story narrative ? Dont give me the multiverse crap because thats a cop out And there lazyness if not creating anything new. As to how i became a fan i read green lantern rebirth after i discovered hal Jordan in mk vs dcu in 2008 or 2009. I read a lot of older books until the site got shut down by the feds because the site was illegal and i believe even sued by marvel and dc. Research htmlcomics. You also dodged my white actor mlk question. If Hollywood decided mlk should be played by a white guy Would you say its wrong or be for it? You argue its ok if white characters are swapped so? Dont say you cant give an answer. You gave this whole rant about actors make the part and it should not matter
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 11-23-2020 at 06:59 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #113
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Your missing my point. I never said i had issues with gay characters i have issue with race gender sexuality swapping with established .characters .How would you feel if marvel made logan a caitlyn jenner type just because ? Dont give me the multiverse card because thats a cop out. As to how i became a fan i read green lantern rebirth after i discovered hal Jordan in mk vs dcu in 2008 or 2009. I read a lot of older books until the site got shut down by feds.
That's where we're different, because unless it's a trait that is essential to the character, I accept that characters (especially in an ongoing multiverse) will change in certain ways. Nick Fury was initially white in the comics. Now most of the world's concept of who he is centers around the MCU version, but the race change didn't change anything vital about the character.
If I heard that the Arrowverse was going to feature an older Kyle who was divorced and no longer interested in dating, I wouldn't just throw up my hands. There are still ways to make Kyle the character that he's meant to be, even under those circumstances. That's true for most characters.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #114
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
That's where we're different, because unless it's a trait that is essential to the character, I accept that characters (especially in an ongoing multiverse) will change in certain ways. Nick Fury was initially white in the comics. Now most of the world's concept of who he is centers around the MCU version, but the race change didn't change anything vital about the character.
If I heard that the Arrowverse was going to feature an older Kyle who was divorced and no longer interested in dating, I wouldn't just throw up my hands. There are still ways to make Kyle the character that he's meant to be, even under those circumstances. That's true for most characters.
Dude the arrow verse started solid but lets be honest it got bad with season 4 and 5. Same for flash wich i didnt finish the season after crisis. You cant convince me supergirl and batwoman were excellent even though i wanted them to succeed. Berlanti made me quit watching because everything was anti trump ,women emasculate men, every series has to have a gay person its like god damn. I dont get offended but its cringey as all hell and its like ok message received quit beating a dead horse. And the new batwoman has to be black. You say its not woke but i call that delusional. Batwoman was terrible regardless who was cast. I made it like 5 episodes in than got bored never went back to it And no desire to
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 11-23-2020 at 07:12 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #115
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Dude the arrow verse started solid but lets be honest it got bad with season 4 and 5. Same for flash wich i didnt finish the season after crisis. You cant convince me supergirl and batwoman were excellent even though i wanted them to succeed. Berlanti made me quit watching because everything was anti trump ,women emasculate men, every series has to have a gay person its like god damn. I dont get offended but its cringey as all hell and its like ok message received quit beating a dead horse. And the new batwoman has to be black. You say its not woke but i call that delusional. Batwoman was terrible regardless who was cast. I made it like 5 episodes in than got bored never went back to it And no desire to
Flash is my current favorite TV show, and Supergirl is in my top 5. Flash's weakest season was 3 due to the character change in Savitar. That's the kind of drastic modification with which I really have a problem. However, the show has regained its footing. I consider it to be the best super hero TV show ever.

As for emasculation of males, I don't see that either. Joe West is the character to whom all of the other characters go for advice on Flash. On Supergirl, both Kara and Alex were trained by J'onn, even if he is an alien.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #116
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,456
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Flash is my current favorite TV show, and Supergirl is in my top 5. Flash's weakest season was 3 due to the character change in Savitar. That's the kind of drastic modification with which I really have a problem. However, the show has regained its footing. I consider it to be the best super hero TV show ever.
Couldn't disagree more. And I actually enjoyed Savitar and even season 4 with the Thinker. Flash has been dead to me since then, sadly. Arrow had a terrible last couple of seasons, too. Legends is hit or miss. I made it about 5 episodes into Supergirl before I had to tap out. Never watched Batwoman.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #117
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,391
Blog Entries: 3
Default

From what I'm reading Guy's partner is a new original character who is half African American and half alien, and their adventures will be during the 1980's with racial tension being something the character has to deal with frequently on Earth.

That along with a gay Alan Scott is enough for me to avoid this series. I can only hope that whatever the GL films become with Hal, John, and Kyle that they don't fuck any of them up as badly.

For the record I liked a lot of the CW shows for a time. However when 1 out of every 4 characters has to be gay and only 1 out of every 6 or 7 has to be a person of color... you can't really say that it reflects the times and doesn't serve to push some producer's views on society. I probably know more people that aren't white than I do people who are gay, and I know plenty of gay folks [my sister currently has a relationship with a transgendered person].

Rather than catering to an audience that isn't there by changing things up so drastically, the producers should be looking at what made the characters popular in their hayday. In a series titled 'Supergirl' you'd think the focus would be on Supergirl, but no her gay sister needs to have the spotlight on her at least 4-5 hours out of the 20 hours/episodes of the season. To my knowledge a gay sister was never the reason anybody ever bought an issue of Supergirl. Was Batwoman's sexuality what made her a hit in the comics? Some may argue that it was definitely a factor, however I believe that it was the higher quality of storytelling overall. WB needs to stop letting Twitter nutjobs and cancel culture activists who don't watch tv be the reason they take this route or that route.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #118
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,705
Default

I can imagine how fun this show will be.

We'll get the Alan Scott episode where we find out he has been into men all this time though we never knew it for 80 years. And in that episode we will learn straight people suck.

Then we will get a racial tension episode via the new half black half alien character, where we will learn that white people suck.

And sprinkled in we will get doses of toxic masculinity is a bad thing via Guy Gardner, until he gets a solo episode where he turns a corner and wins our approval after he realizes how horrible he is.

Also we will get a Baz episode where we learn Americans are bad for mistrust of muslims.

And a Jessica Cruz episode where we learn bitches be crazy, but they can still rise to greatness. And likely men and 'Merica bad there too.

Yeah, I can't wait.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #119
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I can imagine how fun this show will be.

We'll get the Alan Scott episode where we find out he has been into men all this time though we never knew it for 80 years. And in that episode we will learn straight people suck.

Just waiting for alan scott say via cringe diolauge lets play a game of butthole roulette to his partners because berlantie thinks its a cute thing
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:07 AM   #120
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Couldn't disagree more. And I actually enjoyed Savitar and even season 4 with the Thinker. Flash has been dead to me since then, sadly. Arrow had a terrible last couple of seasons, too. Legends is hit or miss. I made it about 5 episodes into Supergirl before I had to tap out. Never watched Batwoman.
The villain of Flash season 3 wasn't terrible, it just wasn't Savitar. There are plenty of acceptable, or at least digestible, changes that can be made when adapting a character. However, just slapping a name of a character on a completely different one is where I get up in arms. If the GLC show would take a character like Black Hand or Bolphunga and give him the treatment that the MCU gave Baron Zemo or the Mandarin, then you'd see me fly into full-blown nerd rage.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #121
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Couldn't disagree more. And I actually enjoyed Savitar and even season 4 with the Thinker. Flash has been dead to me since then, sadly. Arrow had a terrible last couple of seasons, too. Legends is hit or miss. I made it about 5 episodes into Supergirl before I had to tap out. Never watched Batwoman.
Only a matter of time before a new corps is called the butthole bandits to take on the homophobes of the dc universe. Who knows maybe they find some way to say the emotional spectrum of all corps is tied to being lgbtq somehow. Fucking ay.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home

Last edited by TazzMission; 11-24-2020 at 08:47 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #122
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
That's where we're different, because unless it's a trait that is essential to the character, I accept that characters (especially in an ongoing multiverse) will change in certain ways. Nick Fury was initially white in the comics. Now most of the world's concept of who he is centers around the MCU version, but the race change didn't change anything vital about the character.
If I heard that the Arrowverse was going to feature an older Kyle who was divorced and no longer interested in dating, I wouldn't just throw up my hands. There are still ways to make Kyle the character that he's meant to be, even under those circumstances. That's true for most characters.
Dude you have like 10 other people not including me who disagree with you. Im not alone in this. So either 11 of us are wrong or your living in a fantasy land. This isnt about a character being older . And again the multiverse is a lazy excuse for writers. How would you feel if whoever author of a book series decided one universe isnt enough the Harry potter world needs to be a multiverse or take a book series like hunger games. To me its a way of saying nothing in the tank for new creativity. 6 years ago they remade annie but tokenism took part . Granted annie isnt my thing but annie was written to be a white girl. People called me racist because how i spoke out against it. Put anytime people talk about casting a white person in a role like gods of Egypt people said the cast is a white wash. People need to honestly quit living in fear and grow a pair because towing a its ok line is very bad when it comes to race swapping white characters
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #123
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard
 
Big Blue Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Dude you have like 10 other people not including me who disagree with you. Im not alone in this. So either 11 of us are wrong or your living in a fantasy land. This isnt about a character being older . And again the multiverse is a lazy excuse for writers. How would you feel if whoever author of a book series decided one universe isnt enough the Harry potter world needs to be a multiverse or take a book series like hunger games. To me its a way of saying nothing in the tank for new creativity. 6 years ago they remade annie but tokenism took part . Granted annie isnt my thing but annie was written to be a white girl. People called me racist because how i spoke out against it. Put anytime people talk about casting a white person in a role like gods of Egypt people said the cast is a white wash. People need to honestly quit living in fear and grow a pair because towing a its ok line is very bad when it comes to race swapping white characters

I love multiverse concepts, and I'm intrigued by DC's new omniverse. As for race-swapping, I'm sorry if that is a stumbling block for some fans. I wish it weren't, but it is what it is. My favorite DC character underwent a "race change" (or "race revelation", I suppose) and it didn't change the character for me. That might be due in part to my understanding that the concept of race is ultimately rooted in pseudoscience, so I attach very little significance to it.

Back on the subject at hand (since race-changing isn't really applicable to the HBO Max show), I still feel that the GL80 story with Alan Scott might have dropped a hint at what version of Alan that we're going to see. He looked like the Golden Age Alan, but he was gay. Some of the GL show descriptions lead me to believe that a story with that type of fused-version character is what we'll see.
__________________
Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #124
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 27,661
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
I love multiverse concepts, and I'm intrigued by DC's new omniverse. . .
That’s a whole other issue that contributes to me not digging modern TV shows and a lot of the movies. I’m so tired of multiverses and shared universes (yeah, even the MCU stuff I can mostly watch once and forget). I’m burnt out on it and by extension don’t really get excited for any comic adaptations anymore.

I like 60s/70s TV shows where you could tune in any given week and it doesn’t matter what order you watch the episode because the story finishes and you move on. No lying groundwork for some big, earth-shattering season finale; no crossovers, just simple one-and-done stories.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:23 PM   #125
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In my own head
Posts: 26,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
That’s a whole other issue that contributes to me not digging modern TV shows and a lot of the movies. I’m so tired of multiverses and shared universes (yeah, even the MCU stuff I can mostly watch once and forget). I’m burnt out on it and by extension don’t really get excited for any comic adaptations anymore.

.
Same! You have no idea how much i agree that time travel is beating a dead horse. I feel the same about clones being used all the time in sci-fi
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

If you want evidence of unintelligent extraterrestrial life existing look at the Chicago mayor lori lightfoot , lori lightfoot phone home
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.