The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > The Green Lantern
FLASHCHAT

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps

Old 10-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Default The Green Lantern Season 2 #8. What the actual heck?

I am so ready for Morrison to be off this title.

Making things needlessly convoluted, and weird for weirdness sake, is just not my cup of tea.

Also, I'm trying to remember when we last saw Sinestro before Morrison, to figure out if his use here makes ANY sense given what came before.

And I'm beyond caring to know anything about Sinestro's sex life. I mean, it was surprising that he had a daughter and apparently loved Abin Sur's sister (guess that was part of an attempt to make him seem more relatable? That he could actually care about anybody else? Seemed out of character.). And now he's apparently into some kind of pain-intensive relationship with the anti-matter version of Hal? Ugh.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
jhpace1
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I hate reverse-writing. It started with Zantanna the tuxedo'ed witch/entertainer, and spread to Bart in Young Justice, etc. But it's a cheap trick. And I don't want to read my comic book or graphic novel with a pencil and paper to translate the reverse-speak. The same goes for "right to left mirror" pages vs. normal left-to-right in American publications.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:58 AM   #3
IonFan
Forum Member

lol i was gonna give this one a shot cause war and GL are like my thing (bad art be d@mned ) but then i tried to read it and D@MN

wtf DC, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

IonFan says

Quote:
MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So, I havent had the interest to read new comics for a while, but I've been picking them up at the shop to not screw my local store. I've just let them pile up for a bit. This weekend I plowed through the last few issues of Far Sector and #8 and 9 of the Morrison run.

I couldnt even get through them. Just terrible and unreadable. I had to skim along to get to the end and couldnt file them away in my GL longboxes fast enough. Morrison was entertaining me quite a bit on his GL run for a while, but he's officially lost me amd my interest. Time for this run to wrap up and file Green Lantern away in the mothballs with the rest of the DC characters when AT&T turns the lights off.

Yikes. What a sh#tshow.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Morrison has not helped his reputation with this.

To paraphrase Casey Stengel, "Can't anybody here write this comic?" Damn, it shouldn't be so difficult to do. Green Lantern is a straightforward concept, folks.

Let me give Morrison some credit. He saw that what Geoff had done with it needed to go, very badly, and he knocked all that stuff in the head. Good for him. But then he made it about Hal on tour through the universe.

Nope. Just put Hal back on Earth with his supporting cast. Knock the ring constructs in the head and put Hal on Earth. And of course keep Geoff's approach knocked in the head too.

If that doesn't work, you can change it. But it'll work.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-26-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Let me add something about Hal. He's just not so fascinating that he can carry a comic as the sole character. There are a few fanboys who will run out and buy anything that's about Hal, but there aren't many.

For a long time DC put a big effort into making people think of Hal as "the greatest." But most readers don't want a daddy. If DC had put an equal effort onto making him "the most interesting," they might have seen a payoff from it.

Hal needs some other characters around him, and not just goofy space aliens or one-shot super-heroes from Earth. He needs some regular people around him. He needs a supporting cast. On Earth.

And not regular people who creepy assed comics writers will slaughter in grotesque ways the first chance they get. I mean regular people who are permanent cast members. And who are as interesting as Hal ought to be.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-26-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote