X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From CinemaBlend.com

Robert Smigel Talks About His Failed Green Lantern Comedy With Jack Black

Date: 06-20-2011

Green Lantern wasn't really the comic book movie that everybody was hoping for or expected. While certainly not on the level of Batman and Robin, Elektra, The Fantastic Four or Daredevil, the movie had a lot of problems, mostly involving pacing and structure. Still, the movie did have its bright spots and while it isn't perfect, the filmmakers obviously made a conscious effort to try and please fans of the character. The truth is that idea wasn't always going to be the case. Originally Robert Smigel of Saturday Night Live and Late Night With Conan O'Brien fame was tasked to write the script and it's much different than the movie that came out this past weekend.

Vanity Fair recently had an interview with Smigel to talk about the project, which was originally planned as a comedy. Though the writer did say that he did his research into the world of the DC Comics hero, the approach was quite different than what Martin Campbell and crew came up with. According to Smigel, the plot would have involved the ring going to the wrong guy and feature a lot of goofy visual jokes."What appealed to me about it on a comedic level was that, in order to be a superhero, this requires no physical skill or talent," said Smigel. "All it requires is owning this ring. Automatically, that’s a comedic premise."

Even more interesting, Smigel was told to write the project with Jack Black in mind for the lead, despite the fact that Black wasn't really big on the idea. Never officially attached, it took the writer's work in order to get him to change his mind. "He wasn’t really interested in doing any type of superhero thing," Smigel said. "After I wrote the script, he read it and did want to do it. So, to me, that was the validation I take from the experience. I turned Jack around enough that he wanted to do a movie."

While I didn't love it as much as, say, X-Men: First Class, I didn't loathe Green Lantern like a lot of critics and I can actually see a lot of good in it. Still, I'm glad that Warner Bros. decided to go the action/drama route instead of comedy. As funny as it could have been, it still would have felt like an insult to a lot of fans and at least the movie we got can be improved in sequels. The whole conversation with Smigel is pretty interesting, particularly in the way it looks at the deterioration of a project, and, as a whole, is worth a read. Be sure to check it out

You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Thank god none of that happened.
      I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

• Wasn't that film in development five or six years ago? It would have tanked, DC would have waited until they got a different approach to the GL franchise, and once the Berlanti script came in, we would have gotten pretty much the same film we got right now. This would have been an additional film.

Comment

• So... I've been told that a reboot isn't likely, at least for the next 5 years, as most of the principle actors have a 5 year contract with the studio.

Comment

• Good I dont think one is necessary.
            I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
              So... I've been told that a reboot isn't likely, at least for the next 5 years, as most of the principle actors have a 5 year contract with the studio.
              The Superman cast was signed for three movies, yet look what's happening now....

Comment

• Originally posted by irongreen2814 View Post
                The Superman cast was signed for three movies, yet look what's happening now....
                That was also 5 years ago, I'm sure all of their contracts are quite over by now. So like I said, the could reboot it with a new cast, etc, in about 5 years, if they wanted to.

Comment

• god enough with all the freaking reboots, ok so one movie didnt do as well as expected......LEARN FROM IT!!!....make the next one better from the mistakes you've learn from in the first.........whatever happened to those type of movies and well really anything for the matter. Now all that happens is if something fails (which I dont think GL has done since its only been 1 freaking week) you go and reboot it and 9x out of 10 when they do that they make the exact same mistakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lantern54 View Post
                    What about what what I said about Sucker Punch? That movie has a lot of the same issues as GL and it's getting a Director's Cut.
                    Whew! That conforts me A LOT! I found Sucker Punch to be one of the best action movies I've ever seen (Ok, The fact I'm in love with the visual style of Zack Snyder helped a lot, I admit)

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                    Does it? Sucker Punch was knocked for not having any substance and GL is mostly knocked for being boring for 20mins.
                    Sucker Punch knocked for not having substance? If you watch it with the right mindset you find it to be deeply philosophical and spiritual (Not Joking)

Back to topic: I'm not going to be descouraged and I do not know why everybody on every forum is talking about Green Lantern movie as a failure when lots and lots of fans and common people liked it.
                    It seems just a panic attack to me.
                    Oh well... I guess I just have to wait for 31 August and watch it myself two or three times :P

Comment

• Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
                      That was also 5 years ago, I'm sure all of their contracts are quite over by now. So like I said, the could reboot it with a new cast, etc, in about 5 years, if they wanted to.
                      Brandon's expired in 09

Comment

• Fuck everybody who critises the movie. I think it's ok. So, nothing else matters dammit.
                        Take a look at my customs

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=939

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                          From CinemaBlend.com

Robert Smigel Talks About His Failed Green Lantern Comedy With Jack Black

Vanity Fair recently had an interview with Smigel to talk about the project, which was originally planned as a comedy. Though the writer did say that he did his research into the world of the DC Comics hero, the approach was quite different than what Martin Campbell and crew came up with. According to Smigel, the plot would have involved the ring going to the wrong guy and feature a lot of goofy visual jokes."What appealed to me about it on a comedic level was that, in order to be a superhero, this requires no physical skill or talent," said Smigel. "All it requires is owning this ring. Automatically, that’s a comedic premise."
                          Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
                          Thank god none of that happened.
                          Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Comment

• "the fans who love it, love it because they love you,
                            and the fans that hate it, hate because they thought you deserved better"

couldn't put it better myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_2n3...&feature=feedu

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
                              Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

ahhh! but Doc consider what might have happened if the people who gave us this:

were elected to take over Green Lantern instead?
                              Given the proper perspective Kyle was a GODSEND compared to what might have been..........
                              Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

• For a $300 million movie, I can honestly say it was a MAJOR disappointment!

I liked the look of Oa and the alien lanterns, some of them really looked great (except Wog), and Mark Strong was perfect as Sinestro.

I disliked how unrealistic Hal looked at times. When he first flew on Oa with Tomar Re, it looked like a floating head with a green comet tail. It probably would have looked better as an entirely animated film like Beowulf.

I hated Parallax! The origin story and look was just horrible. It resembled a flying pile of crap, which is ironic since the whole thing stunk of Geoff Johns. At least they killed the yellow entity so we don't have to worry about Sinestro making his corps, the universe is safe... Oh waitaminute... The Guardians made him a yellow ring already, guess Qward only exists on this message board now.

I'm not a Marvel comics fan but I do enjoy movies and compared to Iron Man, Thor, X-Men First Class, hell even Incredible Hulk.. THis movie sucked.
                                Redneck Lantern
                                Kilowog's Recruit
                                Last edited by Redneck Lantern; 06-26-2011, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X