The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Corps/Emerald Warriors/John Stewart
FLASHCHAT

Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Does the relationship between Guy and Kyle seem forced to you?
Yes 8 18.18%
No 35 79.55%
Don't know/No opinion 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default The relationship between Guy and Kyle

Does it seem forced to you?

This time your vote will be public, so there can be no cheating.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-26-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
missferris
Senior Corps Member

Most definitely. Now, keep in mind that does not mean I do not think it COULD have evolved naturally, or that the two don't have the personality dynamics to be very good friends/brothers/etc., but with how deep it supposedly is, there are aspects of it that seem pasted on. Now, it's not nearly as bad as Kyle and Soranik. I can buy Kyle and Guy's friendship, definitely. I just think certain aspects of it have been written sloppily, so I put yes. My answer of course is more complicated than just a yes or a no but...eh.
missferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Kinda forced.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

It felt forced to me at the end of the Sinestro Corps War, but it seems right to me now
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
Bob Sachs
Voice of Guy Gardner

Not at all to me. Athletes and artists have bonded for years. "The grass is always greener on the other side" of the field after all.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
The Deadpool

no not at all now but at first it did bc I kinda came out of no where
Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

They've been great buddies since Vol. 3 about 10 years ago (does no one remember their camaderie? the weekly visits to Warriors to talk shit over with Guy? and this was before they were partners and Honor Guard). Through it all, all Guy is probably Kyle's best friend, and vice-versa.

Out of nowhere? Insane.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I remember v3, which also included when Guy had Vuldaran -abilities & called himself Warrior; I remember when they 1st met over fighting Mace/Militia, Major Force & the Quorum, they pretty much drew a line in the sand due to their diff stances on how to deal w/MF (Kyle wanted him to face a court, Guy just stuck him for killing his bro), and even tho things changed somewat when Guy opend up Warriors its not like they were "bosom buddies" or anything.........for the most part he treated Kyle like the new "Joe Ringslinger".

I'll grant that their type of "camaraderie" would likely have grown now that theyre actually Corpsmen together, but its not like they were "downing booze *and* wimmen in Aruba" or anything............and I have to disagree w/ya A-NDB on him being his best friend (and vice-versa), cuz I just dont see that.

so yea, Guys reaction to Kyle dying was forced as all hell.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Shaolinlantern
Parallax Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

I remember v3, which also included when Guy had Vuldaran -abilities & called himself Warrior; I remember when they 1st met over fighting Mace/Militia, Major Force & the Quorum, they pretty much drew a line in the sand due to their diff stances on how to deal w/MF (Kyle wanted him to face a court, Guy just stuck him for killing his bro), and even tho things changed somewat when Guy opend up Warriors its not like they were "bosom buddies" or anything.........for the most part he treated Kyle like the new "Joe Ringslinger".

Tazer
Talking about a Guy and Kyle Relationship, this is the first scene which comes to my mind, too, when Guy (supposed to have) killed Major Force, I was feeling from now on there is a huge gap between those two.

They may become good buddies and I like the 4 M-concept ( if I were a Dc character I would love to join their poker meetings), but I miss some defining moments for a deep friendship ( or I canīt recall them).

I would consider the relationship between Hal and Kyle of a much deeper intensity, starting from Final Night, when Kyle was the only superhero, who still believed in the superhero Hal Jordan and Hal feeling proud, that Kyle was his successor.

Last edited by Shaolinlantern; 12-26-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Shaolinlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

So there WAS someone cheating in the other thread. That person knows who he is, and I know who he is too. I know who was logged in at the time those 15 bogus votes were cast.

This means that the outcome of every non-public poll that's ever been posted on this web site is suspect.

That thread has been deleted now, but for those who tuned in late, on Christmas Day, while only a few people were logged in, I posted this same poll in another thread, and within a matter of minutes, 15 NO votes were cast, while only my one YES vote had been cast! I knew that couldn't be true, so I posted the poll again. And in the next 24 hours, only SEVEN votes of NO have been cast.

Heh, heh.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-26-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Mycroft
unable to translate

Not at all
Old 12-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
Morph
Green Lantern

I'd have to say no.

I agree with the other comments that they've been bonding way back since Final Night, and especially with the weekly gatherings at Warriors. The two have become very much like brothers over the years. So it didn't surprise me to see Guy go off the deep end when Kyle died.

Everybody who lives dies, but not everybody who dies has lived - No Fear
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 AM   #13
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

Not forced at all!
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Not forced at all. Was the whole setup of Kyle dying, and Guy going into a Red Lantern rage forced?...yes. But over the span of GLC, with Guy/Kyle kicking it together I think it's been one of the best facets of the series.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Last edited by JohnnyV; 12-27-2009 at 04:13 AM.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 AM   #15
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

didn't seemed forced,,,,necessary,,,yes, but not forced
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

Of all the people Guy has been associated with, I can almost say that Kyle has been his only "friend".
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #17
LanternBrina
Lady in Waiting

Not only no but it's been my favorite part of the series.
LanternBrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #18
GUYCORPS
Green Lantern

Lets put it this way, who has GUY hung out with the most since vol 3, recharge and the current series? Who has he opened up to? Who would be closer to him other than TORA?

Of course it's Kyle! Personally i've seen a natural progression. Yes Kyle may not have liked GUY'S method of taking Major Force out during GUY'S days as WARRIOR, but they still got to know each other more and learn about one another during battle and r&r, even though John Stewart was part of the ex GL and new GL circle, i believe Kyle and GUY shared more of an older brother/ younger brother type of relationship.

During Rebirth and Recharge and of course the current series,the bond between them would have certainly grown stronger.

Now that doesn't mean Kyle doesn't respect Hal and John, or even look up to them, but he is a lot closer to GUY because they share/do a lot more together besides both being Honour Guards!

Last edited by GUYCORPS; 12-27-2009 at 10:14 PM.
GUYCORPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
Tazer

Yo.

familarity due to job situation/positions isnt a new concept, however ppl here claimed that the 2 of them are as close as brothers.......and Im simply NOT buying that.

nor am I buying Guy becoming an RL simply due to being in denial over Kyle dying, becuz THAT is forced as all hell.

also, exactly how much interaction was there between Rebirth to warrant including it here? cuz I really dont remember any to speak of. if *anything* Recharge #1 is the 1st sign of any buddy-buddy developings between the 2, since it REALLY wasnt there beforehand.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
GUYCORPS
Green Lantern

Ok, let's just say they only got to know each other since Recharge, that's 5 issues, ongoing 43 give or take + Ion mini 12 issues add in one year later, that's about 5/6 years, working as Honour Guards ( regular team mates ) about 3 and a half years.

Yes i know comic time is very different to real time, but let's for arguments sake say they've known each other for a year, i'd say they would have a close brother type bond.

I can only talk from my personal experiences when i served in the armed forces on our borders ( here in SA ) and i can definitely tell you that you build STRONG bonds with your fellow servicemen. After 6 months basic training, trust me you build bonds, and they only get stronger thereafter.

But again each to their own. This is just the way i saw it.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #21
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUYCORPS View Post
Ok, let's just say they only got to know each other since Recharge, that's 5 issues, ongoing 43 give or take + Ion mini 12 issues add in one year later, that's about 5/6 years, working as Honour Guards ( regular team mates ) about 3 and a half years.

Yes i know comic time is very different to real time, but let's for arguments sake say they've known each other for a year, i'd say they would have a close brother type bond.

I can only talk from my personal experiences when i served in the armed forces on our borders ( here in SA ) and i can definitely tell you that you build STRONG bonds with your fellow servicemen. After 6 months basic training, trust me you build bonds, and they only get stronger thereafter.

But again each to their own. This is just the way i saw it.
ok, I dig wat yur saying, but if I may Id like to clarify a few points using things as U have them mapped out:

ok, if they only got to know each other since Recharge then yur numbers are *already off* since U havent factored the full year he spent w/Donna & Jason touring the re-built multiverse (so thats 1 year they WERENT together), and when he was Ion v2.0 iirc he was in that mode for almost as long and wasnt running around space w/Guy then either.

so thats atleast 24 months of the 3 1/2 years U had him building a bond w/Guy, where he wouldve been doing anything *but* that.

also, can we remember that this is GUY FRICKIN' GARDNER we're talking about here?? I dont remember him getting this bad over Ice's OR Gen. Glorys death........but Im supposed to buy it for somebody who wasnt The Love of His Life or His Childhood Hero??

Tazer

Quote:
Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #22
Duskdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.
also, can we remember that this is GUY FRICKIN' GARDNER we're talking about here?? I dont remember him getting this bad over Ice's OR Gen. Glorys death........but Im supposed to buy it for somebody who wasnt The Love of His Life or His Childhood Hero??
Yes, Guy took Ice's death VERY hard. Had a big fight with the JLA about it when he found out that they didn't tell him, in fact, and didn't get romantically involved with anyone else (except for Fire, but that relationship was very clearly about Tora, too) at all after that. I think that's the most telling part of it. Guy likes to play himself off as a real ladies' man, but didn't have anything to do with any women for all those years... then suddenly, when Tora comes back, he's throwing himself into a relationship? Yeah, he pined. Just because he wasn't loud and whiny about it doesn't mean he didn't feel it. (As to General Glory, he wasn't really given a chance to react at all. I pin that more on the writer. Though it could be argued that Glory was Guy's idol as a child, and as the man-child he became when he was brain-damaged -- when Glory died, Guy was healed and, for all intents and purposes, a man who could actually behave like an adult again. He no longer had need for a hero the way he did when he was still brain-damaged.)

I just don't see where people feel it's forced. Guy and Kyle go way back, and Guy showed signs of caring about Kyle more than he cared about most people even when they barely knew each other. When they were confronting the possibility that Major Force had stuffed Guy's mom in the fridge, he told Kyle not to look because he didn't want Kyle to have to go through that again. Then later, when Kyle was tortured by Manhunters, Guy cared enough to try to cheer him up and give him a reason to appreciate life (girls! LOL). I think that clearly shows that Guy liked Kyle quite a lot from the very beginning.

And that's not even counting the fact that they worked together closely during Recharge, and have been partners for some time now since (though it's unclear exactly how much -- damn comic book time). I think many soldiers who have been in a combat situation will probably tell you that it doesn't take a lot of time for that sort of situation to bring about serious brotherly closeness. I know guys who only went through boot camp together, and that was enough to make them best friends for life. And being Green Lanterns would be an even stronger bond, I think, because there are (comparatively speaking) so few of them, and so many of those that do exist are aliens whose values and beliefs may not be the same as an Earthling's. There aren't many other people who identify with your experiences, so you cling to those who do.

I think it's worth pointing out that, though Guy clearly feels very strongly about Kyle, we haven't seen any indication that Kyle feels as strongly about Guy. Yes, it's clear that they're friends, but Guy is the one taking it all to heart, while Kyle is being a little bit more... normal about it.

Is Guy being a little over-the-top about it? Perhaps -- I can see that argument. But that's fine. It's perfectly in-character for Guy to go to passionate extremes. I think a better question to ask is: when is Guy Gardner not over-the-top?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 AM   #23
Tazer

Yo.

NOT BEING TOLD that a woman U were known to have had very deep feeling for isnt the same as feeling sorrow over her death; related to yes, but not exactly the same, as yur dealing with TWO things there instead of just the one.

also, Im not saying Guy didnt care for Kyle, but to say (as A-NDB put it) they were like bros is a big over-estimation of their working relationship, which is closer to what they had pre-Rebirth.

also, being sensitive to a person who might end up looking at their mom being stuffed in a fridge is just that: being sensitive. that doesnt mean U feel necessarily close to them or anything, only that yur not a COMPLETE dick (altho again, Guy is/was close.) if I stop a complete stranger from walking into an open manhole, that doesnt mean I care alot for that person, does it?

lastly, Id buy that "Band of Brothers" -bit if theyd actually gone thru boot together, but they didnt. and while I dig that commonly shared experiences can/will bring ppl together, trying to string things together as them being buds From Way Back When just doesnt seem kosher to me when U look back and see that it wasnt really like that.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #24
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The thing for me is, Guy was a lot cooler when he wasn't going around telling people how much he respects them. For him to be telling Kyle that stuff all the time is just one more effort to push Kyle on the readers, which has been going on for far too long already.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
buzz
Major Force's Dinner Date

I like the fact that it is there but it does feel forced at us.