PSN under attack by hackers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuhan View Post
    Was PSN down because of the Geohot thing?
    Anon says no, but obviously can not be certain that someone in Anon and outside of the core group didn't do it.

Comment

As an additional to, I know a lot of you may be upset about not getting to play right this minute on PSN, but in the long run, it's probably a good thing to let these corporations know they can not use the legal system to punish individual citizens by drowning them in legal debt why infringing upon an end users right to modify a purchased product. If they want to lock out hacked Sony products from PSN, that is their prerogative, it's their playground. But when they try to abuse the courts to enforce their idea of what users should be doing with their products, it's a bridge too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid Jacobs View Post
        As an additional to, I know a lot of you may be upset about not getting to play right this minute on PSN, but in the long run, it's probably a good thing to let these corporations know they can not use the legal system to punish individual citizens by drowning them in legal debt why infringing upon an end users right to modify a purchased product. If they want to lock out hacked Sony products from PSN, that is their prerogative, it's their playground. But when they try to abuse the courts to enforce their idea of what users should be doing with their products, it's a bridge too far.
        Well said. I am one of those people that has other obligations in the real world, so the last few days were my last real opportunity to tear up the game this month. But I am nothing but sympathetic if that was the motivation.

Comment

People seem to forget that Sony was legally obligated to protect its intellectual property. Geohot was breaking the law by distributing illicit information. Yes, Sony's approach was heavy-handed, but corporations have little choice in the matter when it comes to this sort of thing.
          The last fan of 1990s comics
          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by Cid Jacobs View Post
            True. I have no sympathy towards Sony. However, it hurts the consumers as well who just want to get online and whoop someone's ass in Mortal Kombat. Seems like there are other ways to get at them, without hurting the very people they're trying to protect.

That is if the stunt was pulled to try and teach Sony a lesson.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
              People seem to forget that Sony was legally obligated to protect its intellectual property. Geohot was breaking the law by distributing illicit information. Yes, Sony's approach was heavy-handed, but corporations have little choice in the matter when it comes to this sort of thing.
              Their intellectual property is already protected through patents and copyrights. Preventing end users from modifying a product they have purchased is not something we as consumers should sit by and let happen. I can see how you might think they were protecting their IP though, but let's substitute Sony for Chevy, and Playstation 3 for a Camaro. Using the same logic you stated above, if I found a way to change the Engine Control Unit firmware of my Camaro so that I could get better gas mileage, and then shared that information with others who wanted to get better mileage as well, you would think that Chevy would need to drown me in legal debt to silence me.

Comment

I see your point, but this was actually getting around restricted protocols and DRM. That's still illegal, just as modchips were during the PS1 and PS2 era.

Comment

I see your point, but this was actually getting around restricted protocols and DRM. That's still illegal, just as modchips were during the PS1 and PS2 era.
                  All companies have restriction protocol on their software, firmware and hardware. Also, it is not illegal, look up the court ruling of the Electronic Frontier Foundation on jailbreaking . Companies would like it to be illegal so they can dictate exactly how you use their products, but if someone pays for a product, they have the legal right to modify that product. What Sony was attempting to do was to use so much financial and legal pressure that they could overwhelm GeoHot into submission.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                    True. I have no sympathy towards Sony. However, it hurts the consumers as well who just want to get online and whoop someone's ass in Mortal Kombat. Seems like there are other ways to get at them, without hurting the very people they're trying to protect.

there is this thing called find a friend who has the game or wants to come over to your house in real life and kick their ass

Comment

Originally posted by havik View Post
                      there is this thing called find a friend who has the game or wants to come over to your house in real life and kick their ass
                      when you get to be my age, it becomes harder and harder to set up a hang out and play games session. Everyone has plans, and then you have work in the morning. Or the wife doesn't want him to leave the house. And so on and so on.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

I see your point, but this was actually getting around restricted protocols and DRM.
                        Yes and no. When PS3 first dropped, the ability to use Linux and homebrew was a HUGE selling point. Until last year, when they forced everyone (That is, if you want to play games anymore) to update their system with software that overwrote that functionality. So goodbye homebrew. good bye Linux, and good bye PS2 emulator....never mind that I paid a hefty price for these functions.

Personally, I have no intention to ever fuck around with my PS3...but I can certainly see why it was done. And if Sony wanted the consumers support over Geohot's, then they sure fucked up by taking away what they sold in the first place.
                        Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
                        Nor label his working day "cushy"
                        But you might have to question
                        His endless obsession
                        With superpositional pussy.

Comment

[center]

Originally posted by W.West
                          DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post

Where else can they hit Sony, except for their money?

Comment

With the latest news out today, I've realized that many (but not all, mind you) fans are really overreacting and not aware of how the recovery process really works. I'll make it simple:

1) This is not Sony's fault. This is the hackers' fault, end of story.

2) People are whining that Sony took a week to fully explain the PSN data breach. Most companies take much longer than that. For example, my previous health insurer (we change every year or two at work) lost a backup drive, and told us a month and a half later. A few years ago, my bank lost one of their backup tapes and notified customers two months later. It takes a long time for the computer forensics process to get to the bottom of what actually happened, and for Sony to respond in a week or so is actually pretty damned fast.

Comment

for Sony to respond in a week or so is actually pretty damned fast.
                                It's actually really not. Your anecdotal evidence aside, computer forensics is pretty straightforward and pretty fast, especially given the size of the technical team working for Sony. Within a day they should have been able to tell if customer information was accessed, realistically they should have been able to find out in a matter of minutes. Beyond that, telling if it was accessed at an unencrypted level would only take a short time from there. Realistically, they knew about, or had the ability to investigate and come to a conclusion, within a matter of hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X