"Super Powers" comics from 84 and 85?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Super Powers" comics from 84 and 85?

Are these canon? Can anyone tell me anything about them?

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
    there based off the cartoon. not as campy as the superfriends comics from back then

I have these if your interested super powers

#1-5 1984/85
    #1 has 2 different covers
    HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

They aren't canon, no, they are based off of a toyline.

On the other hand, the first appearance of the Worlogog occurs in the first mini, and both follow up on the in-continuity events of Hunger Dogs.
      Check out my blog! Reviews! Thoughts! Story ideas! Comics-Related-Ephemera!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Comment

"Total Justice" was based on a toy-line, but seems to be in continuity.

What in this makes it not canon?

Comment

Who wrote them? And used the canon from Hunger Dogs? Which parts would those be? The Darkseid vs Orion John Woo like shootout (perhaps an inspiration?)? New Genesis being blow apart? The whole shift from oppressive monarchistic rule to machines taking over, which lessened the lowlies fear of Darkseid, and motivated them to depose him, and fight his armies?

May not have been quite the ending it could have been, but damn if I didn't love Kirby's work on the New Gods (art, story, all of it). Speaking of, my order of Jack Kirby's The Demon Omnibus is likely coming in next week, just in time to join Jack Kirby's the Losers, to break me utterly...@_@

But, onto Superpowers once more. How much of the story was comic related, how much was animated related, and what exactly took the leap from there to canon?

Come listen to our cast, and have a ball while you're at it! : D

Comment

"Total Justice" was based on a toy-line, but seems to be in continuity.

What in this makes it not canon?
            Total Justice isn't in continuity, no.

I suppose part of what would make this not in continuity is 1. The slightly revamped New Gods. 2. The fact that in their next appearance, none of the events from this series were referenced.

Comment

Originally posted by Mewzard View Post
              Who wrote them? And used the canon from Hunger Dogs? Which parts would those be? The Darkseid vs Orion John Woo like shootout (perhaps an inspiration?)? New Genesis being blow apart? The whole shift from oppressive monarchistic rule to machines taking over, which lessened the lowlies fear of Darkseid, and motivated them to depose him, and fight his armies?
              Paul Kupperberg wrote them, Jack Kirby did the art.

At the beginning of the Super Powers series, Darkseid was deposed, in exile from Apokolips, just as he was at the end of Hunger Dogs. He, Desaad and a few of his elite set up a base on the moon to take over Earth.

May not have been quite the ending it could have been, but damn if I didn't love Kirby's work on the New Gods (art, story, all of it). Speaking of, my order of Jack Kirby's The Demon Omnibus is likely coming in next week, just in time to join Jack Kirby's the Losers, to break me utterly...@_@

But, onto Superpowers once more. How much of the story was comic related, how much was animated related, and what exactly took the leap from there to canon?
              It was all in the service of toys, not any cartoon, and it was a pretty bad story I think but it had some wonderful, late-era Kirby art (so, okay, not as wonderful as it once was, but about in the Hunger-Dogs area).

It was totally missing all the elements that made Kirby's original epic - Hunger Dogs included, IMHO - such an incredible piece of work. The subtlety and thought and intelligence, the myth building, isn't there.

The Kirby Saga remains one of the pinnacles of comics, in my mind. This can't be compared to it, but if you're in the mood for some fun Kirby art, then go for it.

Comment

I like how Kirby's story went with the times. Dictators in the 70s, but being taken over by Machines in the 80s. Darkseid had to remind them that he didn't need their machines to do his work when he resurrected Desaad with the Omega Effect. Too bad DC didn't let Kirby tell his final tale of Darkseid and Orion, in a battle to the death.

The art sounds nice, though, I don't see why they didn't let Kirby write. Still, might be worth a look into, if I can find it.

Comment

What is the Hunger Dogs?

Comment

... Bad Andrew! <_< (J/K)

The Hunger Dogs is the 1985 Graphic Novel by Jack Kirby, a follow up to his 48 sequel to the New Gods from 1984, and his final written work in the New Gods saga, where he gave his work a conclusion, just in time for the Crisis to remove his work from canon. Unlike his 70s work, which focused on the ideas of free will and oppression, Dictators and freedom, Order and Chaos, this went into an evolution of issues, showing the old ways being broken down into the then fear of the machine age, where the ways of the past went removed, and grew with technology.

It was in Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus vol. 4. The whole set of Omnibi, I highly recommend. In fact, more so than I do just about any other single work.

Comment

Hunger Dogs is on the way, no worries. In fact, I think it's the last piece of New Gods stuff I need to complete my New Gods collection -- and I have collected all the individual comics, as I don't do omnibuses or TPBs.

I have the Super Powers stuff in front of me and you know what? There is nothing inside it that would make me conclude that it wouldn't be in canon.

Comment

Maybe the fact that it was released before COIE is enough?

Comment

do you have the mini war of the gods?
                          HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                            Maybe the fact that it was released before COIE is enough?
                            Well... that's like saying "Don't bother collecting any DC comics before COIE because they might not be in continuity!"

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                            do you have the mini war of the gods?
                            Of course. But the only GL that's in it is Guy, and it's just a couple panels.

Comment

Well... that's like saying "Don't bother collecting any DC comics before COIE because they might not be in continuity!"
                              I'm not saying don't get it, I'm just saying that would be the most logical reason why its not in continuity.

Comment

Working...
                              X