No announcement yet.

Any other Star Trek fans on here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I assumed he was there all along on their 5 years mission and stories just started showcasing him later.

I grew up long after the tv show was in reruns and never watched them in order. By the time the movies rolled around I was conditioned that the cast was the "big 7" like the JLA had. And oddly, 7 seems to be a psychologically satisfying number with heroes. The JLA. The ST cast. The Star Wars vast. The Magnificient 7/7 Samurai. It just works.

Comment

• Ha, I was just thinking about the kelvin Star Trek 2, the one with Khan. SO terrible. Why couldn't they cast an actual Indian to play the role? Cumberpatch is about as white as white gets. At least Montalban being a Mexican playing an Indian was only HALF retarded. This was a perfect chance for them to recast the role properly (as far as ethnicity goes I mean, Montalban was incredible in the role) and they blew it. Worst thing they've done in this new timeline. At least the 60s had the excuse of...being the 60s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
        I grew up long after the tv show was in reruns and never watched them in order.
        Yeah, me too. That's actually a strength of the show for me. You can watch them in any order. Even when they bring back the Klingons or Romulans they didn't really mention their previous encounters or how they left things.

About the only thing that would matter at all is Chekov being added (which again was "off screen" anyway), a short-running gag about the computer falling for Kirk (they laid groundwork for this in one or two episodes before it became a focus), and Harry Mudd's return definitely mentions their previous encounter.

By the time you get to DS9 and Enterprise, there's a real disadvantage to watching them out of order.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
        By the time the movies rolled around I was conditioned that the cast was the "big 7" like the JLA had. And oddly, 7 seems to be a psychologically satisfying number with heroes. The JLA. The ST cast. The Star Wars vast. The Magnificient 7/7 Samurai. It just works.
        Yeah, and TNG basically did that (Picard, Riker, Data, Crusher, La Forge, Worf, and Troi). That's a bit messed up by Wesley, but I'd argue that his function was secondary (he wasn't given a rank for quite a while and then it was honorary) like Rand or Chapel in the original. However, they did start out with eight. Tasha didn't quite make it through the first season. Since they went on to do a full six seasons without her (except cameos), she doesn't usually get lumped in.

It's kind of funny to me that despite having that many, they eliminated the bridge crew position of communications officer. That duty usually seems to fall to security/tactical, which is a bit ridiculous. Even on much, much smaller, less-crewed modern subs the guy who operates the radio isn't usually the guy who would fire the torpedoes! On top of all that, the poor officer is the only one on the Enterprise D who doesn't have the option of sitting!* The friggin' head shrinker has a chair!

*Those extras who monitor the stations in the back actually have pull-out chairs, which are sometimes seen in exposition scenes where say Data has to explain to a standing Riker what the computer revealed.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Yeah I always considered TNG cast to be 7 plus a few extras like Whoopi and Wesley. I was SO glad that Tasha was killed off so early in that I was happy not to count her. That was back when I was watching the show as it aired.

To me Wesley was Star Trek's Snapper Carr and Whoopi was just the bartender to pass dialogue off with.

Comment

I was SO glad that Tasha was killed off so early in that I was happy not to count her. That was back when I was watching the show as it aired...
            They weren't using her well, but Tasha was hot. Even when I met her years later she was still pretty good looking.

Not to make Trek too dirty, but I'd pick her over Troi any day.
            Characterwise, I think she had potential. She was a damaged, but tough lady in a near utopian society, which is interesting.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 08-01-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• My main problem with Yar was that the actress seemed...not very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                My main problem with Yar was that the actress seemed...not very good.

I don't think she's that bad, but then again I watch movies where actors flub lines and they keep it.
                She wasn't monotone or emotionless or anything. Sure, she doesn't shine in a cast that includes Patrick Stewart, but I don't know that all the others do either.

Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 08-02-2018, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Tasha over Troi?!? What brand of Romulan ale are you drinking lad?!?

Comment

Tasha over Troi?!? What brand of Romulan ale are you drinking lad?!?
                    Well, when I met Denise Crosby at a con she called me "cute" and while she most likely meant it in that semi-condescending way that a Kevin Hart or any short guy might get, in my fanboy mind, the alternate-universe scenario started. My mother did once accuse me of being a sucker for blondes, which I don't think is true, but ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      She wasn't monotone or emotionless or anything.
                      No, I just thought that her attempts at portraying emotion all seemed really forced and overdramatic. She just seemed so...fake delivering any but the most neutral lines. But perhaps that's just me.

Comment

• Picard sequel series announced

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                          Picard sequel series announced
                          Source? Details?

Comment

Not to make Trek too dirty, but I'd pick her over Troi any day.
                            You’re insane.

Comment

Source? Details?
                              PatStew himself confirmed it

No details except he’s starring in it.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...ard-new-series

Comment

Tasha over Troi?!? What brand of Romulan ale are you drinking lad?!?
                                Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                                You’re insane.
                                You guys make her sound like a dog. It's not like I said I'd pick Roseanne Barr over Michelle Pfeiffer or something. They are both fine looking women, but I probably tend toward the ladies who are more athletic or even militaristic than hour-glass.

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                                PatStew himself confirmed it. No details except he’s starring in it.
                                That's great. It does reveal (since it's a separate show of some sort) that he's not somehow shoehorned into Discovery, so that's a good detail.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 08-04-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X