Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Action Figure Collector tips, tricks, and Q and A thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Figure Collector tips, tricks, and Q and A thread.

I decided to make another thread this one, this one being sort of a Q and A/ help thread for collectors.

The topics I would like to see here are basic things that you would like to share with other collectors on either how to manage and display your collection, up to how to fix figures that might be either broken, or have incorrect parts. (on occasion this afflicts DCUC), or even the best ways to find figures before scalpers do in your area.

over the course of this thread I will edit this post to link tips left by posters to provide fast access. If I don't add your tip to this post please pm me and if it should be here I will post it... or a MOD could.. (to determine if a post should be here I may enlist the help of another member or two. TmarcumUSN I'm looking at you.)

I will start.

also please do not bash someone else's tips or

Preventing Action Figure Suicide.

Securing DCD Power Battery Handles
    Superlantern
    mmmm Beer!
    Last edited by Superlantern; 10-31-2010, 06:07 PM.

First of all I am not a grammar nazi and I will most likely have some grammatical errors in some of most posts...

Action Figure suicide(figures falling either over on it's own or with third party assistance) is perhaps one of the most frustrating things about collection figures and displaying them on shelves. as most of you know by now it is hard to keep figures from taking dives or being knocked over by the vibration of someone walking or worse the clumsy guest who bumps the shelf. unfortunately some suicides are unavoidable.

Here is how I have combat this issue.

I personally do not use figure bases as in some cases they take up valuable space that another figure could occupy.

After months of frustration I started using a product called Handitak which I found for found for a dollar at big lots.

I found Handitak was indeed Handy for keeping figure in place as it will both adhere to the figure and the surface you want to stick it to. Handitak is completely removable and reusable.

there were two drawbacks to handitak, one was that in some cases I needed to use a lot of it to keep the figure standing, sometimes making the figures feet look like it was standing in yellow mud. the other drawback was that in order to get the figure to stay in place, over time you need to take remvoe the handitak and Knead it and replace it on the figure..

even in some cases I found Handitak was not doing the job and was not strong enough to keep some figures in place (for example the last two star sapphire figures, indigo 1, Saint walker, and Black lantern earth 1 superman).

just as I was ready to give up the fight I remembered a post from another member here in a thread about this very subject. ( If you read this and can prove you are the one that posted it I will give you full credit here) this poster recommended a different product Loctite Fun tak

I started testing this on my aforementioned chronic offenders and found it was stickier and I could use less to achieve the same result. I have since been switching my figures to loctite and the results are amazing. over the last month on the figures I have switched I have only had one suicide and that was due to my own placement of the fun tak.

so I now wholeheartedly recommend Loctite Fun tak to any collector having this issue.

in the provided link you can enter your zip code to find the nearest place that stocks this wonderful product(sorry those of you outside of the us)

Comment

Display Idea

While I admit I haven't tried this due to costs/available funds I believe it would be a way to make a creative display.
      Use different Styrofoam blocks and 1/8" wooden dowels.
      You can get the blocks in a number of different sizes and shapes at craft stores, you can create different displays like a step display

like this one and use the wood dowels to stand your figures on it, the 1/8" dowels would fit in the hole in the bottom of there feet and can be put into the Styrofoam.

Comment

Cool tips.. Thanks guys!
        I Make my Own T-Shirts

Comment

Another Display Idea

Xylob has I nice one as well with these plastic cubes
          http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=14510
          while the different color ones work nicely with the GL figures, there are black ones and white ones that might work for non GL figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Godmera View Post
            Xylob has I nice one as well with these plastic cubes
            http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=14510
            while the different color ones work nicely with the GL figures, there are black ones and white ones that might work for non GL figures.
            Where did you get the cubes
            EDIT was reading on my phone, thought that was your display at first
            Superlantern
            mmmm Beer!
            Last edited by Superlantern; 10-31-2010, 12:03 PM.

Comment

While I admit I haven't tried this due to costs/available funds I believe it would be a way to make a creative display.
              You can get the blocks in a number of different sizes and shapes at craft stores, you can create different displays like a step display

like this one and use the wood dowels to stand your figures on it, the 1/8" dowels would fit in the hole in the bottom of there feet and can be put into the Styrofoam.
              Another good option for that method. IsExpand a Shelf this was cheap at one time at bed bath and beyond however they have become hard to find.

Comment

HAHA thanks for calling me out Superlantern. I'll post mine in the morning!
                Figures for Sale/Trade: DCUC/DCD/Green Lantern Related *CHEAP*
                Formally known as TMarcumUSN (or "Marcus" freakin' Bruce Castle haha)

I'm a leaf on the wind...

Comment

I figured you would not mind plus it makes it so I am not the only one that decides what goes and does not... makes it a little fairer.

Comment

dont mind one bit
                    Figures for Sale/Trade: DCUC/DCD/Green Lantern Related *CHEAP*
                    Formally known as TMarcumUSN (or "Marcus" freakin' Bruce Castle haha)

I'm a leaf on the wind...

Comment

Go to Bed Bath and Beyond, they sell these things that I can best describe as bleacher steps, I have no idea what they are used for. You can easily fit 10~12 guys on it. This enables you to see the figures in the rear very clearly. I use these plus a bit of something called "sticky max", it is like soft waxy stuff you just dip the feet into and it does a good job of keeping guys upright. The Star Sapphire figure is just a big pain in the ass.
                      Attached Files

Comment

those are good too however the expand a shelf was great too bad they stopped selling them.

Comment

Originally posted by Superlantern View Post
                          Where did you get the cubes
                          EDIT was reading on my phone, thought that was your display at first
                          Xylob posted the link in his thread.

Originally posted by Superlantern View Post
                          Another good option for that method. IsExpand a Shelf this was cheap at one time at bed bath and beyond however they have become hard to find.
                          Originally posted by JerzeyJ View Post
                          Go to Bed Bath and Beyond, they sell these things that I can best describe as bleacher steps, I have no idea what they are used for. You can easily fit 10~12 guys on it. This enables you to see the figures in the rear very clearly. I use these plus a bit of something called "sticky max", it is like soft waxy stuff you just dip the feet into and it does a good job of keeping guys upright. The Star Sapphire figure is just a big pain in the ass.
                          While those are not bad they don't give much flexibility in make different displays.

Comment

Well you can also sculpt and mold your own displays our of resin. I am working on one for all my Corps rings it will be one piece and will have each corps emblem in it in that corps color, facing forward, with Ring Stands on the top for each ring. I also will be putting LED's in it in each color but I am going to pour it in layers each colored for the corps with a transparent layer where the corps emblem is so it lights up.

use these sites to get your Silicone for molding and resin for the pours you can find powders to color it at Hobby Lobby and other such hobby and modeling stores.

molding rubber
                            http://www.alumilite.com/ProdDetail....2%20%28HSII%29

Casting Resins
                            http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cf...sting%20Resins

Darth_Andrea

Comment

This is something that used to go hand and hand with Action figure suicide for me. that is until I saw a post by a member here ( if you were that member i will credit you here after a PM)

While the DCD Power batteries are great they have one flaw, the handle can be lost rather easily. in my early days of collection one or more lantern figures would take a dive from my shelf and I would almost always have to look for either the battery or the handle itself.

The member post I saw recommended putting adhesive putty (either handi tak or Loctite fun tak will do the trick)

1. getting started.

2. A small amount of adhesive will work here.

3. Roll the adhesive into a line.

4. insert adhesive into the side of Handle hole on the battery

5. Tear off the unneeded extra amount. both sides should look like this

6. Insert Handle and squeeze both ends together until excess adhesive comes out.

7. then use your larger amount of adhesive to pull off the excess.

8. The Final result

the Handle will still be able to turn but not as freely as before. however you should no longer have the Handle separation in the event of a untimely shelf dive by a battery holding figure.
                              Superlantern
                              mmmm Beer!
                              Last edited by Superlantern; 10-31-2010, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X