Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Larfleeze have been saved? Should it have been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, it's the Jar Jar Binks of the GL universe.

Comment

Larfleeze should've been saved for the simple fact that he is several billion years old, and probably has a knowledge of the universe that few have. That's worth a few issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarmode View Post
        Larfleeze should've been saved for the simple fact that he is several billion years old, and probably has a knowledge of the universe that few have. That's worth a few issues.
        Agreed. He has potential, but more so when he's a serious threat and not comic relief.

Comment

How many characters does DC and marvel have that are billions of years old? And wouldn't any being that old be more evolved than anything a human could comprehend?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
            How many characters does DC and marvel have that are billions of years old? And wouldn't any being that old be more evolved than anything a human could comprehend?
            Well if an organism could just live that long, you'd think it wouldn't actually evolve (it might even be primitive biologically). But it would be pretty darned experienced.

Comment

Comics writers don't think about what "a billion years" and "the whole universe" entail. Those terms short-circuit their brains.

The Guardians operated the GLC for 10 billion years, but they suddenly encountered all those difficulties and imploded in just the past few years? Huh?

And there were no super-heroes on Earth until recently, but now they're constantly being called upon to save the whole universe? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                The Guardians operated the GLC for 10 billion years, but they suddenly encountered all those difficulties and imploded in just the past few years? Huh?
                Yeah, that last decade (or three if you go back to crisis) has been a lot rougher than the previous billion.

Comment

Oa and the Corps were FINE for BILLIONS of years, but the last ten years, they JUST can't seem to stop both of them from blowing up again and again!

Comment

The should do a parody story showing how Oa is revealed to have been destroyed millions of times, like Groundhog Day. And the Guardians just kind of accepted it long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Agreed. He has potential, but more so when he's a serious threat and not comic relief.
                      That's very true. He just goes in a different direction as comic relief. Though it tripped me out when he got the Flash's wallet, LOL!

Comment

"You are part of a system, a universe, that has perfectly well been able to take care of itself for at least 10,000 million years."

-- Alan Watts

Comment

Maybe the Guardians have gone rogue millions of times in the last few BILLION years. Maybe we are on Oa #1,000,000 now. Every generation of GLs think this is the first time this sh*t has happened to them. It's like, how many times has the JLA watchtower or the Avengers mansion blown up? How many times does Captain America have to give up being Cap while someone takes up the mantle before everyone around him gets that it's a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                            The should do a parody story showing how Oa is revealed to have been destroyed millions of times, like Groundhog Day. And the Guardians just kind of accepted it long ago.
                            Heck, I could see them doing that as a serious story (not that I would want it), where we learn that the Guardians have been trying to do their thing for billions of years, but have failed over and over again and had to start over, but just constructed elaborate lies and manipulations to cover over the many times a GLC (or GLC-like organization) has failed, and present the appearance of billions of years of continuous, unbroken service.

Really the Manhunters were just the one instance where they failed so spectacularly that the coverup couldn't hold, so they spun it into a one-time thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                              Heck, I could see them doing that as a serious story (not that I would want it), where we learn that the Guardians have been trying to do their thing for billions of years, but have failed over and over again and had to start over, but just constructed elaborate lies and manipulations to cover over the many times a GLC (or GLC-like organization) has failed, and present the appearance of billions of years of continuous, unbroken service.

Really the Manhunters were just the one instance where they failed so spectacularly that the coverup couldn't hold, so they spun it into a one-time thing.
                              Yeah! I like that! The Manhunters weren't their greatest failure, just one of the few times their dirty laundry got aired in public.

Hell, how about the Guardians aren't even immortal? That is just their public image? That they are a race that has been maintaining the GLC to varying degrees of success for only thousands of years, and the billions of years thing is just propaganda? Their being immortal turning out to be a lie would be hilarious.

Comment

The Guardians not being immortal could be pulled off, too, especially if you say that really there a whole secret planet of them someplace, and the council that everybody sees is just the group selected to maintain the fiction. When somebody on the council retires or dies, they pick a replacement, have them go by the same name, and alter their appearance as necessary to maintain the illusion (heck, to most races the Guardians probably all look alike, anyway).

I'd hate that direction, like I'd hate the Guardians as deceptive serial failures just putting on a show, but it COULD be done. I don't know that it would be any worse than what Geoff did to the Guardians (it actually seems kind of like more of the same thing, really).

Comment

Working...
                                X