Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't we be getting a new Archives soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't we be getting a new Archives soon?

I think the last one we got was about two years ago so aren't we due for another? It's usually every two years
    Green Lantern Unlimited!

DC is slowly moving out of the archive line. They put them out here and there, but mostly for golden age material. There's an upcoming SA Flash one, but that's more of an exception to capitalize on the Rebirth hoopla to come.

DC has said they want to focus on the B+W Showcase trades, and the Chronicles lines to push SA material. It's an excuse to start all the silver age lines over, as most of the SA archives have been exausted. Kind of a shame, as it would have made sense for DC to archive GL right up to #75. They did the slipcase HC for GL/GA 76-89, and getting to #75 would have capped off the Broome/Kane era in HC format, and been a nice stopping point.

Comment

Don't get me started on the Archives line... it's been well over a decade since the last Archive of Alan Scott's comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
        DC is slowly moving out of the archive line. They put them out here and there, but mostly for golden age material. There's an upcoming SA Flash one, but that's more of an exception to capitalize on the Rebirth hoopla to come.

DC has said they want to focus on the B+W Showcase trades, and the Chronicles lines to push SA material. It's an excuse to start all the silver age lines over, as most of the SA archives have been exausted. Kind of a shame, as it would have made sense for DC to archive GL right up to #75. They did the slipcase HC for GL/GA 76-89, and getting to #75 would have capped off the Broome/Kane era in HC format, and been a nice stopping point.
        Man, that will be annoying if they don't complete the GL Archives up to #75. Not that I am wedded to the Archive format (though it would be nice to have everything consistent), but if they have to START OVER in a different format, it will be FOREVER until they finish the stuff I don't have. And there might even be overlap, which would be extra annoying.

Comment

At least they finished Justice League. Still, kinda sucks though all they'd need is about three more volumes of SA GL and That's not all that many especially if they made them annual releases instead of every other year like they've been doing.
          Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
            Man, that will be annoying if they don't complete the GL Archives up to #75. Not that I am wedded to the Archive format (though it would be nice to have everything consistent), but if they have to START OVER in a different format, it will be FOREVER until they finish the stuff I don't have. And there might even be overlap, which would be extra annoying.

Yep. All DC is doing is starting the SA GL line over again not in ONE new format, but TWO. And that's without even being decent enough to qrap up the first format! The archive line may beexpensive, but it's lavish and worthy of showing off on a shelf. I guess we're rewarded for our patronage by getting the chance to start over in a sofover format, in a lesser quality.

Archiving up to #75 would have been the right thing to do, at least to stick by the customers that have shelled out so much money on their product so far.

Aside from my grumblings on the SA GL line (don't even get me started on the GA GL line Andrew!), I do love what DC did with the archive line these last two decades. My two favorite lines that are now completed 100% are the Doom Patrol archives, and the All-Star Comics archives. I'm happy as hell DC did the right thing with those two properties!

Comment

I am not really enjoying the Showcase edition. I never have been a fan of B&W formats, and to rob GREEN Lantern of it's color, kind of defeats the purpose of the ever constant battle of green vs. yellow.
              Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Malvolio View Post
                I am not really enjoying the Showcase edition. I never have been a fan of B&W formats, and to rob GREEN Lantern of it's color, kind of defeats the purpose of the ever constant battle of green vs. yellow.
                I couldn't agree with you more. I think you lose alot of the comic when you take away the color. Especially when you have one such as this where you have the colors fighting each other.

Some comics you can get away with them being in B&W such as superman and batman, but Green Lantern is kind of hard to do.

That being said instead of buying Green Lantern Archive Vol. 1, I bought Green Lantern issue #2 and my wife gave me issue #1 for our anniversary. Thankfully issues 3-10 aren't nearly as expensive!!! Oh and I lucked out with my 5 buck find of Green Lantern 76 too!

-Disjaukifa

Comment

I didn't follow the Archives line when they were being released, but I did see they've started a SIlver Age Chronicles line. Does anyone know how often those will be released and if they'll do one for the Golden Age?
                  BlueLantern
                  Kyle's Nude Model
                  Last edited by BlueLantern; 07-16-2009, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueLantern View Post
                    I didn't follow the Archives line when they were being released, but I did they've started a SIlver Age Chronicles line. Does anyone know how often those will be released and if they'll do one for the Golden Age?
                    According to http://www.graphicnovelarchive.com/release_schedule.cfm another Green Lantern "Chronicles" is not scheduled for release in 2009. The only "Archives" scheduled for release are Superman in World's Finest Vol. 2 in September and Batman: The Dark Knight Vol. 6 in December. There is no Green Lantern Archives slated for 2009, which is frustrating given that there hasn't been one in quite a while.

Comment

Well, looks like GREEN LANTERN CHRONICLES Vol 2 IS coming out this year!

GREEN LANTERN CHRONICLES VOL. 2 TP
                      Written by John Broome
                      Art by Gil Kane, Murphy Anderson, Mike Sekowsky, Ross Andru and others
                      Cover by Gil Kane and Joe Giella
                      The second volume collecting Green Lantern’s original Silver Age adventures is here! Drawn from GREEN LANTERN #4-9, Hal Jordan battles the Weaponers of Qward, Sinestro, Hector Hammond and others, and introduces fellow Lantern Tomar Re!
                      Advance-solicited; on sale December 23 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US

Not bad price and in color!!!!!

EDIT: Hmmmm somehow I missed Vol 1!
                      Lord Malvolio
                      Corps Honor Guard
                      Last edited by Lord Malvolio; 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM.
                      Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Comment

The Chronicles are frustrating. They have apparently given up on the Archives only a few volumes from the logical conclusion. So now if I want to own those issues in color, I have to have mismatched volumes, AND I have to wait for Chronicles to CATCH UP to where the Archives were at. Which will take quite some time, since each volume of Chronicles has less issues in it than the Archives did.

Comment

Agreed. I collected Achieves 1-6 hoping to continue the series up until the end of Vol 2 but it looks like they have been abandoned.

Archives Vol. 6 ends at issue #47, I've had this idea to scan the remaining issues up until #75, clean them up with photoshop, and print them out on glossy paper. I'd then send them to Library Binding to have them bound into similiar looking volumes. There is a lot of software on the net to make dust jackets that can be made to look like the Archives.

So far the cost is projecting to be too high to do the whole run; including buying issues #48 to #75, which I don't have. Right now I am working on cleaning up the pages of all of my vol 2. GL's from #125 to #135 so I can have those bound in an Archives-like volume. If I ever finish I'll post the results.

Comment

When Did Hal quit Ferris anyway? I know It had to be before 75 cause he's already fiddling with Toys when Appa Ali Apsa Comes to visit him in order to join him and Green Arrow in their tour across America.
                            Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

GL #49 - Carol turns down Hal's marriage proposal and gets engaged to another guy, Jason Belmore. Hal leave Ferris after that and drifts from job to job for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X