The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 11-21-2020, 01:17 AM   #26
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, I could see where we could be hypocritical, but as someone who thinks constructs are necessary, but Hal's day job is not, I feel I can justify it. Literally, the day job isn't fundamental because you can describe the premise without it.

Green Lanterns are space cops who use a ring powered by will that essentially do whatever they want. That's the fundamentals. What they do with their spare time can be added or taken without changing the foundation. But then again I'd admit that for the others. Clark doesn't have to be a reporter (in fact he occasionally hasn't been). However, I'd say that in the common understanding, more people would list that as a characteristic of him than would say Hal has to be a test pilot.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #27
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I would have said that having Clark Kent as a secret identity was fundamental to Superman, even if he wasn't always a reporter.

Apparently now that's not even a thing, though. I don't read Superman comics, so I don't know how jettisoning that bit of the mythology has effected it. It seems to have minimal significance in the places I encounter the character, usually in JLA stuff or events, where he's almost always Superman the whole time.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #28
Space Cop
The Dandy

They're still talking about it in the main Superman titles; so, I guess that's big. They haven't done yet anything like Lois being kidnapped or anything.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #29
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Re the ring constructs, if DC ever comes to its senses and flushed that embarrassing stupidity, i'm sure a few people will wail with anguish, "I'll never read Green Lantern again!"

To which I'll respond, "Well... BYE!"
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #30
Space Cop
The Dandy

Could be. If so, it'll be a nice excuse for me to get out of comics and save some money to buy more movies.

However, DC also has a crime solving chimpanzee; a pre-teen with the powers of Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury; and their flagship character owns a super-powered dog (their top seller even keeps a cow in his bat cave). I don't think they're too worried that one guy on the internet (and to this day you're the only one I know) who thinks constructs are the final straw.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #31
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I don't think they're too worried that one guy on the internet (and to this day you're the only one I know) who thinks constructs are the final straw.
Yeah, not that I claim to be "in the know", but I also have never heard ANYBODY who has the slightest interest in Green Lantern, besides Trey, who has a problem with the idea of ring-constructs.

I have no doubt I've heard people make joking comments about some particular construct or other, but generally they just wish something cooler had been used, not that there be none at all.

I've heard plenty of mocking of various things Batman has pulled from his utility belt over the years, or various gadgets or vehicles he has employed, but I've never heard anybody with the least interest in Batman saying he shouldn't have a utility belt or gadgets/vehicles.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #32
Space Cop
The Dandy

^And, on the contrary, I actually have heard multiple stories of people who came to Green Lantern because they loved the idea that the ring could do whatever you want. It's wish fulfillment, just like people will often say if they could have a power they'd like to fly.