The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #201
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Works for me
Old 10-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #202
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

After reading the preview for #25 I am done with this title. Johns may have put Sinestro and his "rainbow brigade" stories above Hal, but Venditti is out to turn Hal into a joke. EVERY decision Hal makes is immediately contradicted and shown to be wrong, (because they're bone-headed decisions) none of the other earth GLs, Kilowog or Carol are behind him and he's becoming such a boob, that he's laughed at in front of his face. (and with the cringe-worthy lines put in his mouth, it's well-deserved) You just have to look at the art - Hal's always shown to look confused, snippy or sulking. That's it - every issue reads the same: Hal makes a stupid decision, one of the other characters tell him he's being stupid, Hal gets upset, (sometimes) admits they're right, then sulks about it.

I don't usually get so fanboyish, but I hate this writing and what's being done to Hal. It might be even worse than "Emerald Twilight."
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #203
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
After reading the preview for #25 I am done with this title. Johns may have put Sinestro and his "rainbow brigade" stories above Hal, but Venditti is out to turn Hal into a joke. EVERY decision Hal makes is immediately contradicted and shown to be wrong, (because they're bone-headed decisions) none of the other earth GLs, Kilowog or Carol are behind him and he's becoming such a boob, that he's laughed at in front of his face. (and with the cringe-worthy lines put in his mouth, it's well-deserved) You just have to look at the art - Hal's always shown to look confused, snippy or sulking. That's it - every issue reads the same: Hal makes a stupid decision, one of the other characters tell him he's being stupid, Hal gets upset, (sometimes) admits they're right, then sulks about it.

I don't usually get so fanboyish, but I hate this writing and what's being done to Hal. It might be even worse than "Emerald Twilight."
Couldn't of said it any better myself. Yes Johns started to focus more on the emotional spectrum after SCW but at least he knew how to write Hal. And by looking at the solicits for the upcoming issues, it doesn't look like things are going to change.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #204
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
Ditto what that guy said. Vote with your dollars. Better to let the title go into hiatus (again) for awhile than to watch a slow, ugly death that slaughters five decades of tradition. I write better fan fiction that this. Hal is a strong, confident, and sometimes mature character. Right now he's being made to look like a hormone-infested junior high kid.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #205
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
Yes Johns started to focus more on the emotional spectrum after SCW but at least he knew how to write Hal.
He knew how to write his Hal. Which was nothing like the Hal that came before. (That's why he set it up so that pre-Johns Hal was Parallax the whole time. It's like Avengers: The Crossing, but worse.)

Seriously, people, lighten up. We suffered through Geoff Johns' butchery of everything that came before his run, and somehow "Lights Out" is the tipping point? Grow up. With fans like that, the entire mythos deserves to be dead and buried.

Last edited by SD80MAC; 11-01-2013 at 02:22 PM.
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #206
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

This is probably still better than most of Gerard Jones run
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #207
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
He knew how to write his Hal. Which was nothing like the Hal that came before. (That's why he set it up so that pre-Johns Hal was Parallax the whole time. It's like Avengers: The Crossing, but worse.)

Seriously, people, lighten up. We suffered through Geoff Johns' butchery of everything that came before his run, and somehow "Lights Out" is the tipping point? Grow up. With fans like that, the entire mythos deserves to be dead and buried.
THIS!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #208
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Strong willed characters who go in head first don't always make the best decisions. Of course Hal is gonna make questionable decisions, because a guy doesn't change all of a sudden due to a promotion (a promotion he didn't even want). He's still going to cling to what he knows best.

This is the story arc, for Hal to actually act like a leader of The Corps.

Hal isn't suited to be a leader, but I want to read where it goes for the character.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #209
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I'm dropping all the GL books but it's not because of bad characterization, I'm just bored. The stories just aren't grabbing me and I find myself not caring...ergo time for me to take a break.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #210
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Can't argue with that.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #211
IonFan
Forum Member

ya know i for one would like to know why Hal sucks as the leader, pre-new52 he wasn't but for some reason new52 Hal does i just don't get it

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #212
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I'm dropping all the GL books but it's not because of bad characterization, I'm just bored. The stories just aren't grabbing me and I find myself not caring...ergo time for me to take a break.
This was the reason I quit all the Avengers books with the exception of Young Avengers.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #213
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:

I'm only 19 so I grew up reading Geoff's run on Green Lantern and his run if the reason why I am such a big fan now. His Hal is the only one I really know. So yes I like "his" and hate Venditti's Hal. And looking at Geoff's run, his Hal was the most successful than any other. So excuse me if I'm mad to see my favorite charcter change into this dumbass that Venditti is making him out to be.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #214
nightwing90
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
I'm only 19 so I grew up reading Geoff's run on Green Lantern and his run if the reason why I am such a big fan now. His Hal is the only one I really know. So yes I like "his" and hate Venditti's Hal. And looking at Geoff's run, his Hal was the most successful than any other. So excuse me if I'm mad to see my favorite charcter change into this dumbass that Venditti is making him out to be.
this is how exactly i'm starting to feel aswell. am coming close to just giving up and taking a break until a new writer takes over.

nightwing90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #215
Zander Yurami
Fear is Power

I havent picked up a new DC commic in a while
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #216
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
I'm 33 and I grew up with Gerard Jones whiney bitch Hal (and Kyle Rayner who was significantly better that Hal) and I also prefer Geoffs take on Hal. Still he should have stopped with Brightest Day I think.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #217
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

The problem with Venditti's writting is it has been done before. He is basically writting 90's Hal again. This whole new recruit thing has been done to death.

Venditti is just not the right fit for this book. He is bringing the character back to his lowest point after we have been through to try to forget that bad interpertation of Green Lantern.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #218
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
I'm 33 and I grew up with Gerard Jones whiney bitch Hal (and Kyle Rayner who was significantly better that Hal) and I also prefer Geoffs take on Hal. Still he should have stopped with Brightest Day I think.
I'm not sure whether the first arcs of the New52 Hal were in fact ghost-written or not. No doubt Johns did the story treatments. Somebody else, uncredited, might have done the actual script implementation. With New52 launch, Aquaman, Justice League, etc, there was an awful lot on the creative director's plate.

Whiney bitch 90s? Mogo, we're gonna have to disagree about Gerard Jones' writing. Around the edges of corporate mandate, some of his scripts were freakin' brilliant. I have in mind: The "job interview" sequence when captured by Flicker. The setup issue for the Montoya Bay arc. The "Road Back" arc (wait until you're old and feel like hitting the road! It'll make sense!). Dovetailing a midlife crisis with Justice League Europe.

Nobody yet beats Gardner Fox and John Broome in their prime. Between the Justice League and his own title, they had Hal nailed.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #219
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Whiney bitch 90s? Mogo, we're gonna have to disagree about Gerard Jones' writing. Around the edges of corporate mandate, some of his scripts were freakin' brilliant. I have in mind: The "job interview" sequence when captured by Flicker. The setup issue for the Montoya Bay arc. The "Road Back" arc (wait until you're old and feel like hitting the road! It'll make sense!). Dovetailing a midlife crisis with Justice League Europe.
They were a few good storylines. I also like the crossover story with the flash in gorilla city. But his run was hit or miss and he missed the mark more often than hit.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #220
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:

It's the house of cards the poster was referring to. Geoff's emocorps became more important than the GLC, now a new writer comes in and makes this even more over bearing on the GLC universe.

Hal has never been this incompetent ever in his history, even Gerald Jones. Vendetti doesn't know the difference between a platoon leader, and a squadron leader, I'm not surprised he doesn't know the difference between leading by action and leading as a rah rah guy. Hal's quick on his feet and makes wise decisions on the fly because these fights are at the speed of light. Batman's preptime won't work in the Corps. To many working parts moving to fast, Robert doesn't seem to get that.

Hope he leaves the title soon. This franchise is to good to have a writer that is unfamiliar with the military, the DCU and the GLU. His X O Manowar is awesome, that's the kind of stuff he does well, that's where he might be best used.
weareborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #221
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

I think Venditti knows exactly what he's doing. It's just that he's doing what he's doing intentionally. I don't think the way he is writing Hal Jordan is due to some kind of ignorance. The question is, what is the agenda?

As for leaving soon, dunno' about Venditti, but on Twitter, Van Jensen said he's planning on being on his GLC title for years, and those two are sort of partners in crime, so I guess we can take that for whatever it's worth.

As for me, though, no I haven't stopped reading Green Lantern comics. I'm really enjoying them.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-04-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #222
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

My guestion is who is overseeing this this book? And why do they not care that ever big Twist that Vendetti dose has been done before. Oa destroyed,Recruit Drive,Hal as the Leader of the Corps. Vendetti is clearly not aware of the Green Lantern history. This book is just not for him,and honestly if it was not for the fact that I vowed that I would buy Green Lantern if they Brought Back Hal and Sinestro. I would drop this title. I dropped GLC Vendetti's writting is starting to make me feel like I am to old to be reading comics.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #223
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

The same people who used Crisis on Multiple Earths, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis & Flashpoint to reboot their entire universe?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #224
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Ins't thier like a editor or something that should be stepping in and saying. No man,You can't do that. Come back with a new Idea. Or at least a good story that dose not have any drastic repercutions. That is something Johns dissapointed me with. Not every thing has to be Earth shattering,or a build up to the next event. It was like Hal Jordan was brought back and we forgot to just have fun watching Hal's some what diffrent approach and perhaps out of date mentalaty,to a world he has been missing from for over 10 years.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #225
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Ins't thier like a editor or something that should be stepping in and saying. No man,You can't do that. Come back with a new Idea. Or at least a good story that dose not have any drastic repercutions. That is something Johns dissapointed me with. Not every thing has to be Earth shattering,or a build up to the next event. It was like Hal Jordan was brought back and we forgot to just have fun watching Hal's some what diffrent approach and perhaps out of date mentalaty,to a world he has been missing from for over 10 years.
Johns was trying to build Green Lantern into something big, so he did what he felt he needed to to keep sales up and attention constantly on the franchise. This includes gimmicks like constant events (even events that affect the whole DCU that revolve around GL, so many readers of DC comics who didn't read GL would take a look at the franchise), and ever rising stakes with greater and greater threats.

Of course, sales and attention doesn't always equate to quality. And those gimmicks aren't the only way to get sales and attention.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 11-08-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote