The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 06-29-2020, 03:28 AM   #126
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

I picked up 9 of the 10. My LCS held copies of all of the variants for me. I just need the Sharp cover to complete the set. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for the 2 Adams Crusty Bunker exclusive variants due to the price.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:36 AM   #127
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
I picked up 9 of the 10. My LCS held copies of all of the variants for me. I just need the Sharp cover to complete the set. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for the 2 Adams Crusty Bunker exclusive variants due to the price.
Looks like you win the prize for most devoted here. There was a time I would've done that for a standard-price GL book, but that would be too much for just covers for me at this point.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #128
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Looks like you win the prize for most devoted here. There was a time I would've done that for a standard-price GL book, but that would be too much for just covers for me at this point.
I'm only a casual variant cover collector, but if there was ever a GL book worthy of dropping $100 on the variants, it's this one. One could make the argument that it's the perfect GL book in that it has something for fans of every distinct era.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #129
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
I'm only a casual variant cover collector, but if there was ever a GL book worthy of dropping $100 on the variants, it's this one. One could make the argument that it's the perfect GL book in that it has something for fans of every distinct era.
I was quite pleased with it. The idea for the Hal story (the final message thing) was good. I didnít really dislike any of them.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #130
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Was it just me, or did future Kyle age a lot less well than future John or Hal? If the text didn't make it clear, I would have wondered who that other guy was with Hal and John...
Old 07-06-2020, 04:42 AM   #131
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Was it just me, or did future Kyle age a lot less well than future John or Hal? If the text didn't make it clear, I would have wondered who that other guy was with Hal and John...
I got emotional, to the point of being a little misty-eyed, at the end of "Four."
Old 07-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #132
jhpace1
Manhunter Repairman

Arrghh! Bring back the future of the Vuldarian Guy!

I _hate_ these kind of "retirement" stories. Do you really think any of the Earth GLs are going to "retire" for 10, 20 years as in the story "Four"? Even Alan Scott (before the DC You reboot) was in his 70s or so as JSA's Green Lantern!
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 AM   #133
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post

I _hate_ these kind of "retirement" stories. Do you really think any of the Earth GLs are going to "retire" for 10, 20 years as in the story "Four"? Even Alan Scott (before the DC You reboot) was in his 70s or so as JSA's Green Lantern!
Are all soldiers lifers or do most eventually get old, tired of fighting, and decide that they want to spend time with their grandkids? I think the 2nd scenario is more likely.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #134
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I can’t see Guy or Hal retiring, as both seem to mostly identify themselves with their hero work, though in different ways. John and Kyle? Both of them have been shown, at times, to place significant value on the non-hero aspects of their lives. I can certainly picture either of them retiring someday, especially if they feel good about those that will be continuing the fight in their place.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:42 AM   #135
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I canít see Guy or Hal retiring, as both seem to mostly identify themselves with their hero work, though in different ways. John and Kyle? Both of them have been shown, at times, to place significant value on the non-hero aspects of their lives. I can certainly picture either of them retiring someday, especially if they feel good about those that will be continuing the fight in their place.
Hal was ready to walk away from the GLC (or more specifically, the GotU) at the start of Volume 5. I can imagine certain circumstances, mainly his place with Ferris and Carol solidifying, where he might give up the ring. He'd have to be pretty old, too. I can't even imagine a 50-year-old Hal not wanting to be in the thick of things.

As for "Four", I'm in total agreement with Venditti's use of Guy. Out of the four titular Lanterns, Guy is the most likely to die early. Venditti pointed out that Guy was always ready to take a beating if it meant achieving the overarching goal. Even if he did retire at some point, he would have certainly shaved years off of his life due to his combat style.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:02 AM   #136
Space Cop
The Dandy

It's not like we have to take the story as canon. These specials have included clearly alternate takes. Even if it is, the rule of thumb for future stories in the DCU is that they're possible timelines.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #137
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
They might as well let him get his Vuldarian powers back and let him be Warrior again since they clearly don't want to use him as a GL anymore. And I'd definitely prefer him being Warrior than playing another round of musical power rings.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #138
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
They might as well let him get his Vuldarian powers back and let him be Warrior again since they clearly don't want to use him as a GL anymore. And I'd definitely prefer him being Warrior than playing another round of musical power rings.
Amen
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:44 AM   #139
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Amen
I could get on board with that.

As for GL80, my three favorite stories, in no particular order, are "Legacy", "Time Alone", and "Four."