Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here because of the movie?

I am, ashamed as I am to say it.

Kinda wanted to see the movie in theatres but didn't make it. The movie was considered a joke in the circles where I'm from, so no one wanted to go to it with me. When it came out on video I rented it, and still had no idea what Green Lantern was when I popped it in, even though I'm a bit of a comic collector I had stayed away from anything DC so I never knew GL.

Now, I didn't think the movie was super-awesome 10/10 stars but it had a neat charm to it. When Hal makes the race car track to save the helicopter, that really impressed me. Not because the construct was well done, but it was believable, like "that's all he could think of in the heat of the moment", and made me really like the concept of the GL ring.

Next, I picked up a GL trade paperback from the local comic store, the one where Hal turns into a blue lantern. The art and coloring were phenomenal, and I'm still at a loss to find anything as good. Next visit, I noticed a Brother Warth toy and had to have it. Every visit to the comic store had me picking up another Green Lantern toy and comic, until today, where I have a HUGE GL comic collection, including all of Vol4 and Vol5, about a third of Vol3, and over half of Vol2.

The idea of GL excites me. It seems like it really could happen, like there really could be alien races out there with advanced technology looking for recruits into their peacekeeping corps. And that the ring relies on the wearer's imagination instead of some genetic mutation. So it's more relatable.

So... while the movie might be reviled, it did draw in some fans to the GL fanchise, those smart enough to see the potential behind it.

You got into GL because of the movie? I wouldn't have guessed it looking at your avatar. Did you just pick that randomly?

Comment

That's the cover of my favorite issue so far. The ending made my jaw drop!

Comment

I thought you liked the Blue Lantern Hal storyline best.
        Originally posted by IonFan
        (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
        Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
        If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
        Originally posted by Quaker
        I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

I liked the movie. Was it the I did feel like it was a little formulamatic. Like the only diffrenece between this and every othercomic movie was it had Green Lantern in it wich automatically boosts it up a couple points.

I came in way before the movie though,but I am glad I got to see a GL movie in theaters in 3D. If you would have told me back in the 90's that Green Lantern was going to get a high budget movie in thefuture I would not have believed it.
          Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Still haven't seen the movie and don't ever plan to.

Comment

Saw the movie twice in the theatres. Once in 2-D, once in 3-D. Best part in three dimensions IMHO was the ring flying off from Abin Sur's crashed spaceship. Watched it once every couple of months since Blu-Ray was released.

Been a GL fan since 1960 (yeah, you read that right, I'm OLD!). Took a hiatus from 1964 to 1979, when the first Superman movie got me back into the genre. Stayed until the mid 1980's, when momhood and raising a family forced another hiatus and the collection had to be sold (sniff! All those Bronze Age books in mint condition! All those Silver Age books! Boo hoo!). The release of the GL movie brought me back for the third and final time. Never gonna leave again. (Although Billy Tan's art is enough to make me retch sometimes.)

Welcome to the forums.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

@Deadpool: Initially I did, I was wowed to discover that it wasn't just green but that there were more colors... but as I read back farther I found some gems I really love. As a sci-fi writer I really enjoy seeing what is cooked up in "Tales of the Corps" and so on... some of those stories were (or are still) ahead of their time. Issue 218 really took me for a ride though. That ending is a riot.

@Rotten2thecorps: I'm jealous you got to see it in 3D... and after reading the comics I think there is so much potential for awesome movies... or even an HBO series...

@myuserid: There are two short scenes worth watching, IMO. One, with all the GLs on Oa, and the end when Sinestro puts on a yellow ring. But yeah... the movie failed at many other things, so I don't blame you.

@Evergreen City: Your story just broke my heart. I can't believe you had to sell those books!! What a tragedy. I hope I never have to sell mine, I'd like to pass them on to my son when he's older. I don't have many valuable ones though... oldest are issues #11 and #55 from Vol2, which I picked up at a comic expo because I liked the covers.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
                  Still haven't seen the movie and don't ever plan to.
                  Good idea. You're not missing anything and you might stop being a fan if you did watch it. That's how "bad" or hokey it was. I watched it opening weekend in 3D and I just died and cried on this board. It set back Green Lantern like 10 years!

Hopefully when/if the Justice League movie comes out or I'm hearing in Man of Steel 2 they can revive Green Lantern with a good story, good character and good actor ... sort of the way the Avengers movie and Mark Ruffalo did for Hulk. Then we can go and grow from there.

Comment

Originally posted by sundrop View Post
                    @Deadpool: Initially I did, I was wowed to discover that it wasn't just green but that there were more colors... but as I read back farther I found some gems I really love. As a sci-fi writer I really enjoy seeing what is cooked up in "Tales of the Corps" and so on... some of those stories were (or are still) ahead of their time. Issue 218 really took me for a ride though. That ending is a riot.
                    Ah right, understandable. Funny enough though, I didn't much care for that tale (Unless I'm thinking of a different one than you).
                    Originally posted by IonFan
                    (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                    Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                    If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                    Originally posted by Quaker
                    I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by sundrop View Post
                      I am, ashamed as I am to say it.

Kinda wanted to see the movie in theatres but didn't make it. The movie was considered a joke in the circles where I'm from, so no one wanted to go to it with me. When it came out on video I rented it, and still had no idea what Green Lantern was when I popped it in, even though I'm a bit of a comic collector I had stayed away from anything DC so I never knew GL.

Now, I didn't think the movie was super-awesome 10/10 stars but it had a neat charm to it. When Hal makes the race car track to save the helicopter, that really impressed me. Not because the construct was well done, but it was believable, like "that's all he could think of in the heat of the moment", and made me really like the concept of the GL ring.

Next, I picked up a GL trade paperback from the local comic store, the one where Hal turns into a blue lantern. The art and coloring were phenomenal, and I'm still at a loss to find anything as good. Next visit, I noticed a Brother Warth toy and had to have it. Every visit to the comic store had me picking up another Green Lantern toy and comic, until today, where I have a HUGE GL comic collection, including all of Vol4 and Vol5, about a third of Vol3, and over half of Vol2.

The idea of GL excites me. It seems like it really could happen, like there really could be alien races out there with advanced technology looking for recruits into their peacekeeping corps. And that the ring relies on the wearer's imagination instead of some genetic mutation. So it's more relatable.

So... while the movie might be reviled, it did draw in some fans to the GL fanchise, those smart enough to see the potential behind it.

Well I thought the movie sucked but anyways, welcome to the boards!

Comment

Wasn't really a big fan of the film but,

welcome and good luck.

Comment

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!

It doesn't surprise me in the the least that the movie hooked you. A lot of us came in from Superfriends which was pretty cheesy in retrospect and there's even one who caught the emerald fever from Legend of the Superheroes, which makes the GL movie look like Lawrence of Arabia.

As to the movie, I get enough joy out of key moments (charging the ring, said race car, Oa), that I find the movie very enjoyable. I think I saw it 3 times in theatre (twice in 3D) and bought it first day on BD/DVD. I must've watched it more than a dozen times by now.

On a side note: not having friends to go with never would've stopped me. There are all kinds of movies (especially hardcore horror) that I don't know anyone else who would go with me, so I'm quite used to going to the ol cineplex solo. I've even literally been in a screening completely alone.

Comment

Yeah Space Cop I also go to movies alone, but at certain times in my life when I've got movie-watching-friends I won't. But - I'm thinking I have to see Jupiter Ascending alone or else I'll miss it. Snuck in briefly while my kids were at Paddington and it looked pretty amazing!

Comment

sundrop
                              Fatality's Blacksmith
                              Last edited by sundrop; 04-18-2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X