Classic Horror (Pre-1950s) Film Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    I went to the midnight premeir of the Jackson's Kong and nodded off during it. I haven't seen it since. That was a movie I thought suffered from poor pacing. I don't think it had any business being 3 hours and 7 minutes long (and that's the shorter theatrical release!).
    On the plus side I do remember liking that he kept it period (that was briefly debated) and I seem to remember liking the scenes with Watts and the ape together.
    You probably should have gone to an earlier showing...lol

I also liked that they kept it Depression era...and I don't think anyone else would have been better as Carl Denham than Jack Black...he was spot-on!

Did you happen to see any of the DVD extras on the remastered original. A lot of it was Jackson doing pre-production stuff for his version and making his team actually build armatures and do matte paintings to replicate how the original was done, mostly for shits-and-giggles, since their film was all CG stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post
      I'll lobby for him...he was my favorite monster model.

I have that model as well.....plus quite a few of the figures they released for Universal Monsters a few years ago. I will have to dig them up and take pics.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUELCMISHRA View Post
        I am obsessed with creature from the black lagoon. which now that i think about it is 1954 and doesnt belong in this convo lol
        My favorite flick from this era has to be white zombie, i saw it first when i was 16 and i watch it every year for halloween traditionally. Bella lagosi gave one of his best performances. it was one of the first zombie flicks and it is a masterpiece
        This is on my "to watch" list.

Have you ever seen I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Val Lewton-produced)? I liked that a lot.

Comment

Watched this last night. I've lost track how many times I've seen it. More on this one later.

Three down...#$%^* to go! LOL

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          Have you ever seen I Walked with a Zombie (1943, Val Lewton-produced)? I liked that a lot.
          I've seen most of his (Lewton) stuff, and just watched a very good Scorsese produced (and narrated) documentary, followed by Isle of the Dead.

I'll probably do a Lewton film festival after I finish my Classic Universal Monster festival.

Comment

Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post

[COLOR="Yellow"]Watched this last night. I've lost track how many times I've seen it. More on this one later.
            My favorite monster film of all time. Soooooooo many layers to it.
            My favorite little bit is having Elsa play Mary Shelley AND The Bride.
            "The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
            - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

"Vould you CARE for a roll in zee hay?"

Watching Young Frankenstein with my son right now...what a hoot!

Comment

"Ovaltine?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                  "Vould you CARE for a roll in zee hay?"

"Ovaltine?"
                  PUT..........ZE KENDEL.................BECK!

Comment

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: For the experiment to be a success, all of the body parts must be enlarged.
                    Inga: In other vords: his veins, his feet, his hands, his organs vould all have to be increased in size.
                    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Exactly.
                    Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.
                    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.
                    Inga: Voof.
                    Igor: He's going to be very popular.

Comment

"To the lumber yard!"

Comment

"The monster got part of your wonderful brain, but what did you get from HIM?"

Comment

Originally posted by Void View Post
                          My favorite monster film of all time. Soooooooo many layers to it.
                          My favorite little bit is having Elsa play Mary Shelley AND The Bride.
                          Mine too!

This was another of those rare cases of a sequel surpassing the original.
                          I really think that this should have been on the AFI top 100 film list instead of the first one.
                          The original was based on a stage play, this one was purely cinematic.
                          Incredible cinematography, an amazing leit-motif riddled musical score (sort of 'cross-breeding' between Wagner and Debussy) by Franz Waxman,
                          a show-stealing performance by Ernest Thesigner as Dr. Praetorius,
                          the crucifiction scene that amazingly got by the censors (I believe the film was released on Good Friday of that year),
                          the heartbreaking scenes with the blind hermit (in spite of what Brooks and Gene Hackman did to it - both versions are wonderful),
                          all of the great lines, like "whatcha say we turn ourselves in and let 'em hang us" and "to a new world of Gods and Monsters",
                          the running gag about Praetorius' "only weakness",
                          the german-expressionism meets Eisensteinian-montage of the creation scene...

It's the "Citizen Kane" of monster movies.

I believe the jar in the center is the one containing the very young Billy Barty in a high-chair made-up to look like a baby version of Karloff
                          (which was cut from the final release)...D'oh!

The one above is a production still...the one below is a screen-capture...
                          you can see the jar with the high-chair third from the right.

Comment

"You take the blonde, I'll take the one in the turban."

Comment

"Wait! Where are you going? I was gonna make expresso."

Comment

"To the lumber yard!"
                                "The monster got part of your wonderful brain, but what did you get from HIM?"
                                "Footschtepps...FOOTSCHTEPPS!"

Comment

Working...
                                X