No announcement yet.

green lanterns small mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to work at PetCo. One lazy Friday afternoon, close to the end of my shift, this guy wanders in, with a friend. His friend has two dogs with him, the friend and the dogs walk to the back of the store to look at collars. The first guy wanders over to the Small Animals section. He's lookin' at the ferrets. I walk up and ask if I can help. He said he was just looking. He thought they were cute, but he was from California and they're illegal there. I got one out, let him hold it, talked about ferrets and what it takes to care for them, what they're like as they get older, yadda yadda yadda. I spent prolly a good 45 minutes just talking to the guy.

He looks at his watch, says he's gotta go. He pauses. He goes "Ya know, I'd totally buy one of these, but sometimes they search the tour bus when we get back into Cali." I said "Tour bus? Are you in a band?" He said. "yeah" all nonchalantly. I said "Which band?" He replies, "Tesla." And walks off.

It wasn't until he SAID it, that it occurred to me, and I finally recognized him, as the drummer for Tesla. One of my favorite bands.

The guy wasn't in costume. Wasn't wearing a mask. Wasn't trying to conceal who he was. It was because he was SO out of place, for me, in my head, that I totally assigned a different identity to this guy. I didn't see it as HIM until he pointed it out, and I just stood there. With my mouth open. Like a moron, and watched the drummer of Tesla meet back up with the Bass player and the Bass player's two dogs, and walk out of my PetCo in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I kinda feel like this, for me, is why I can suspend my belief when Lois Lane looks at Superman and can't see Clark Kent.

Comment

Take it from me, when you change your hair, not where glasses and change your body movements. People don't recognize you

Comment

Or if you're a woman who wears makeup all the time, then don't wear any and dress differently and people won't recognise you.
        Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Bolerathon View Post
          Nothing hides your identity quite like sticking a green sega genesis controller to your face....
          Three button or six button?
          Minimum space distance:
          a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
          ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

Originally posted by chivalrous View Post
            Three button or six button?

Comment

Originally posted by lokeinlyesmith View Post
              That brings back some memories, but of the Master System rather than the Genesis
              Minimum space distance:
              a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
              ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

Originally posted by chivalrous View Post
                That brings back some memories, but of the Master System rather than the Genesis

My bad. Fix'd.

Either way, that would look pretty funny on your face.

Comment

I always fear for Clark (as much as you can fear Superman coming to harm lol) being out in the rain and his glasses get wet.

He takes them off to clean them, a random person shouts out that he's superman. Clark puts them back on and looks around saying where?

Genius disguise. I'm gonna get me a pair
                  In brightest day, in darkest night, I've faced my fears and Sinistro's might. My love is spent, my will has gone, my rage has subsided and my life is done.

Comment

The glasses don't hide Superman's identity.No,he just uses a tiny amount of heat vision to remove the part of the brain that makes you realise glasses are a stupid disguise

Comment

I agree that it's all about context. I once saw someone I grew up with in church at my college and because it was not where I was used to seeing her it took me about 5 minutes to figure out who she was. And, for the most part, the heroes don't hang out with civies. It's not like they're hitting the bar with them.
                      I thought "Birthright"'s explanation of Superman's disguise, which is really a carefully thought out alternate personality (not just glasses), was very plausible. It fits with those sociology experiments where people have completely different views of people based on whether they wore glasses or a suit.

Comment

By the way, I just read a pre-Crisis AC where they mention Superman having multiple doubles that he frequently has used to show Clark and Kal El in the same place and I think I've seen the robot doubles post-Crisis. Really, if you've seen that just once or twice, you'd probably never think it again. I seem to remember Batman using a double for the same thing. Can't recall Hal doing it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Malvolio View Post
                          I am more surprised Carol never figured it out... had a crush on Hal AND GL? And actually thought it was two different guys that happen to be exactly the same hieght and build, same hair style, same voice and were in same area during problems? Ahh the inocent 60's....
                          Carol figured it out in the movie.

http://www.green-bloggers-site.com

Comment

It made more sense in the movie that Carol saw right through it - the same conceits for comic books just don't hold up. At least with Superman, (as best shown by Christopher Reeves) Clark and Superman totally carried themselves differently, spoke differently, exuded totally different energies. The biggest feat that movie accomplished was not making you believe a man could fly, it was making you believe that Lois Lane could conceivably not know Superman and Clark Kent were the same person. (something Snyder didn't even try to attempt) But Hal is Hal, whether he's in costume or not so it would've been harder to convince an audience that the mask could fool anyone who knew Hal.

Comment

Working...
                            X