No announcement yet.

Corps and wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a serious question, of course I am. I used to love the various Rainbow Corps and thought they had some interesting characters, now their just annoying me.

I think I'd like the Green Lantern books to go in a different direction right now.

Comment

Here are the numbers.

GL -- Down to 46k. A healthy number, but worrisome considering that it routinely sold in the 80ks until recently.

The GLC -- Down to 31k. Still not too bad but 50 percent down from a year ago. I'm enjoying seeing John outsell Kyle though. Heh, heh.

The New Guardians -- Down to 26k. It's time to start worrying about this comic. At the rate it's dropping, it'll be below 20k by summer.

The Red Lanterns -- Down to 24k. Putting Guy in this turkey won't save it. It'll be gone within a year.

Larfleeze -- already down to 14k, which is 3k below the cancellation level.

And yes, the Sinestro Corps comic will flop too. Bet on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
        Here are the numbers.

GL -- Down to 46k. A healthy number, but worrisome considering that it routinely sold in the 80ks until recently.

The GLC -- Down to 31k. Still not too bad but 50 percent down from a year ago. I'm enjoying seeing John outsell Kyle though. Heh, heh.

The New Guardians -- Down to 26k. It's time to start worrying about this comic. At the rate it's dropping, it'll be below 20k by summer.

The Red Lanterns -- Down to 24k. Putting Guy in this turkey won't save it. It'll be gone within a year.

Larfleeze -- already down to 14k, which is 3k below the cancellation level.

And yes, the Sinestro Corps comic will flop too. Bet on it.
        If you're going to post sales numbers we need context, for example how does the following factor in:

1) The overall trend for comic book sales across the entire industry to decrease as time goes on?
        2) The effect of Geoff Johns leaving Green Lantern as writer and the entire GL-Franchise as showrunner, since he is a name writer that guarantees a certain number of sales while the current creatives teams are most certainty not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
          If you're going to post sales numbers we need context, for example how does the following factor in:

1) The overall trend for comic book sales across the entire industry to decrease as time goes on?
          2) The effect of Geoff Johns leaving Green Lantern as writer and the entire GL-Franchise as showrunner, since he is a name writer that guarantees a certain number of sales while the current creatives teams are most certainty not.
          This will put it in some context for you. The Red Lanterns was ranked #59 among all comics last June, with sales of 34k. By January it had plummeted to #92, with sales of 24k.

The emotional spectrum is just not strong enough a concept to build a franchise around. The strength of Green Lantern, to me, has always been that you have several characters who are over with the fans and who could carry titles. You don't need a gimmick like the emotional spectrum. Just intelligently use what's already there. I demonstrated that with my script for an Alan Scott title.

Comment

The Sinestro Corps ongoing will flop. Not as fast as Larfleeze did, but it'll flop pretty fast. Now take a look at my Alan Scott script. That comic wouldn't flop. It would sell.
            I'm not sure if I've ever asked this before, but home many comics or books have you written and sold?(Honest question). You always seem to be very sure of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
              I'm not sure if I've ever asked this before, but home many comics or books have you written and sold?(Honest question). You always seem to be very sure of yourself.
              Hi, Trigger. Say hello to Roy for me.

For your purposes, I've written two scripts. If you think that what DC is publishing is better than they are, then you're entitled to think so, and to feel confident about your opinion.

Comment

As far as Goeff being a big name. You have to remember that Green Lantern is where he launched himself into superstardom. Yes he had sucesses on other titles,but Rebirth is what made him,one of the most biggest names in comics. So basically Rebirth being his first few issue on Green Lantern were the biggest selling Green Lantern books of all time. Give the man his props.

Yes there are other factors,but they don't make as huge of a diffrence as some people are making out. DC should take note to Green Lantern's falling rank amongst other titles. because most of the industry trends effect the other books just as much.

GL is not doing as well as it did. so what dose that mean right now? Well it is still selling pretty good all things considered. however it could be doing better. There is no cause for alarm yet but it may be in the title's best intrest to try something a little diffrent.
                Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                  As far as Goeff being a big name. You have to remember that Green Lantern is where he launched himself into superstardom. Yes he had sucesses on other titles,but Rebirth is what made him,one of the most biggest names in comics. So basically Rebirth being his first few issue on Green Lantern were the biggest selling Green Lantern books of all time. Give the man his props.

Yes there are other factors,but they don't make as huge of a diffrence as some people are making out. DC should take note to Green Lantern's falling rank amongst other titles. because most of the industry trends effect the other books just as much.

GL is not doing as well as it did. so what dose that mean right now? Well it is still selling pretty good all things considered. however it could be doing better. There is no cause for alarm yet but it may be in the title's best intrest to try something a little diffrent.
                  I TOTALLY give Geoff his props! He believed in this property when none of the higher-ups at DC did, and he won them over. And he turned GL into a big deal, which it certainly was not when he started writing it.

What I have a problem with, mainly, is something that's bigger than the corps and wars. It's the idea that you have to involve the whole DCU in order to have a "good story." That's just a flat-out bad itdea, and it's what I tried to show in the scripts I wrote. What you need in a story is a star and a good supporting cast. You don't need 30 stars.

And you can write a very serious story but put some funny stuff in it too. In fact, generally speaking, that's what you should do. I also tried to demonstrate that,

And you don't need a gigantic canvas to tell every story either. Very often when you do that, your characters cease to be characters and become statistics.

Comment

Something else I tried to show is that the blown-up panels in today's comics suck. You'll notice that I was able to tell quite a bit of story in 20 pages, which you almost never get in any issue nowadays.

Comment

Something else I tried to show is that the blown-up panels in today's comics suck. You'll notice that I was able to tell quite a bit of story in 20 pages, which you almost never get in any issue nowadays.
                      Having read your scripts, something I would recommend is checking out the glossary of comic book script writing terms - http://forum.webcomicscommunity.com/index.php?topic=799

Something else to change, in terms of an artist looking at your script and having it easier to scroll through is to capitalize your dialogue, captions, and sound effects.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                        Having read your scripts, something I would recommend is checking out the glossary of comic book script writing terms - http://forum.webcomicscommunity.com/index.php?topic=799

Something else to change, in terms of an artist looking at your script and having it easier to scroll through is to capitalize your dialogue, captions, and sound effects.
                        I copied it from the format that ron marz uses. hey...

Comment

I copied it from the format that ron marz uses. hey...
                          Read a couple, and it works. He utilizes bolding instead of capitalization. Didn't mean to provide unwanted advice, I've just been through the script writing and editing process. Along with artist collaboration and thought I'd share.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                            Read a couple, and it works. He utilizes bolding instead of capitalization. Didn't mean to provide unwanted advice, I've just been through the script writing and editing process. Along with artist collaboration and thought I'd share.
                            Thanks.

Comment

I'm tired of GL's just hanging out on OA/Mogo until the next big thing comes along. It sure would be neat seeing GL's actually patrol their sectors. I'm also frustrated with the fact that it takes at least 10 GL's to take down one lowly villain anymore.

I can't stand the depowering of the Corps. Mainly the phone battery type of charge these rings have. I liked it much better when GL's had 24 hrs of power no matter how much they used the rings. GL's could virtually do anything as long as they had the will, now one good shot and the rings power is gone. The only good thing that Johns did power wise for the rings and Vendumy has continued is the no yellow weakness thing.

Comment

Originally posted by weareborg View Post
                                I'm tired of GL's just hanging out on OA/Mogo until the next big thing comes along. It sure would be neat seeing GL's actually patrol their sectors. I'm also frustrated with the fact that it takes at least 10 GL's to take down one lowly villain anymore.

I can't stand the depowering of the Corps. Mainly the phone battery type of charge these rings have. I liked it much better when GL's had 24 hrs of power no matter how much they used the rings. GL's could virtually do anything as long as they had the will, now one good shot and the rings power is gone. The only good thing that Johns did power wise for the rings and Vendumy has continued is the no yellow weakness thing.
                                The yellow weakness was a product of its time, I don't like it. I don't like the 24 hour thing either. I like the idea of a charge lasting until you exhaust it, but Geoff exhausted them too soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X