The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Events & Fan Meetups
FLASHCHAT

Old 02-27-2015, 04:45 AM   #51
CJF28
Fatality's Blacksmith

There are so many points I want to make about SDCC, I dont even know where to start.

1. Going once was a "bucket list" item for me. I've now gone 8 years in a row and we (by we, I mean everyone I talk to. Sylent, Darth, facebook friends, other forum friends" all say the same thing.
"Thats it. Im done. F this. Im not coming back next year"
and then by next year, we are foaming at the mouth. There is really NOTHING like it.

2. Its more than just the convention building, the whole town gets transformed into, essentially, Nerdy Gras. there is about a 4x6 block radius in the gaslamp that you just cannot drive down because of the amount of people. Its just pointless to try.

3. You have to have one plan for each day. Because to complete your plan, you will have to get there early. And you will either complete it or get shut out and by then it's too late to try something else.

4. It's a great way to meet people. I'm glad I reached out and met Sylent,Darth, A-train. I've met many other online friends in person at SDCC. And its been a nice way to build lasting friendships.

Hope to see you guys in July

-Cory
CJF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #52
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF28 View Post
4. It's a great way to meet people. I'm glad I reached out and met Sylent,Darth, A-train. I've met many other online friends in person at SDCC. And its been a nice way to build lasting friendships.
This x10. Here! here!

If it wasn't for Cory and Jay, I wouldn't have been able to pick up all the exclusives I wanted for myself and for friends in a timely fashion.

Speaking of Jay, I think it's time for him to start making appearances now that SDCC season is coming around again. Maybe I should say his name three times.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #53
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah out of all the fun I have at SDCC I think our meetup is easily one of if not my most favorite thing. It good times seeing everyone and having a couple drinks and sharing lots of laughs. It's really like having a real life GL Corps meeting at Warrior's Bar and Grill
Old 02-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #54
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
Yeah out of all the fun I have at SDCC I think our meetup is easily one of if not my most favorite thing. It good times seeing everyone and having a couple drinks and sharing lots of laughs. It's really like having a real life GL Corps meeting at Warrior's Bar and Grill
see with me im really weird around people i admit. ive been working on it though so ill go out with some friends once or twice a week for lunch
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #55
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yes, it was awesome to meet everyone in person and talk about their experiences at SDCC that day and what exclusives there were able to snag.

But I don't say "This will be might last year at SDCC" because of overcrowding or negative feelings as I don't have any. I always end up have a great time. I say it might be my last year because there's no guarantee that I can get tickets for the next event and it's really expensive to attend. For a lot of people, it might be the only vacation they can take for the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
heh thats awesome about chloe. is she very hot in person?
Yes, Chloe Bennett is very pretty in person and very charismatic. She was very energetic and seem to be feeding off the crowd and would do a little dance for the cheering fans. I'll try and post some of the pics I took at last year's event in the other thread.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #56
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post

Yes, Chloe Bennett is very pretty in person and very charismatic. She was very energetic and seem to be feeding off the crowd and would do a little dance for the cheering fans. I'll try and post some of the pics I took at last year's event in the other thread.
hmmm hopefully she comes to a chicago con since she is from the area. i also found out haley atwel will be her ein april so im hyped for that
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #57
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn: Marvel Studios Skipping San Diego Comic-Con 2015

Quote:
According to Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, Marvel Studios won't be at San Diego Comic-Con this July.

Gunn was answering fan questions on Facebook this weekend when he made the following claim:

Disney did not respond to our request for confirmation, denial or comment on this at time of publish.

Marvel could always possibly attend Disney's own D23 Expo in August, WonderCon in April, or New York Comic Con in October instead.

So why would Marvel Studios sit out San Diego Comic-Con where it's arguably dominated the show for the last several years? We can only speculate, but two words come to mind: Star Wars.

In the realm of huge geek media entities and Hollywood egos, why would Marvel or Star Wars -- despite both being owned by Disney -- want to have to follow the other one at SDCC's Hall H? No one wants to "play" as the other one's opening act if you will. That or maybe Marvel thinks they won't have any announcements to be made or new footage ready to be shown.

Many others think Marvel Studios will probably start a trend of skipping SDCC as it's very expensive, they have to coordinate with many of the actors and film producers to make appearances and prepare footage, and share and compete for headlines.

If Marvel, WB, Lucasfilms and others pull out of Hall H/SDCC, could the event return to the state is was pre-Twilight? Would this make the event worth going to without all the hoopla? Meaning, it would be just like any other con without Hollywood stars or free swag from the major studios?

For me, probably not. It will probably be worth going 1 day if it's going to be like any other comic convention.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #58
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn: Marvel Studios Skipping San Diego Comic-Con 2015

Many others think Marvel Studios will probably start a trend of skipping SDCC as it's very expensive, they have to coordinate with many of the actors and film producers to make appearances and prepare footage, and share and compete for headlines.

If Marvel, WB, Lucasfilms and others pull out of Hall H/SDCC, could the event return to the state is was pre-Twilight? Would this make the event worth going to without all the hoopla? Meaning, it would be just like any other con without Hollywood stars or free swag from the major studios?

For me, probably not. It will probably be worth going 1 day if it's going to be like any other comic convention.
marvel comics will be there but not marvel studios
Old 03-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #59
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yes, that's what I said.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #60
projectile
Sidekick

Its cause its a D23 Expo year.

Marvel Studios skipped SDCC in 2011 because of D23 expo. Thats when they showed the first Avengers footage there.

In 2013 Marvel studios had presentations at both D23 expo and sdcc. Butt at d23 exoo they showed the same footage at sdcc and then some.

So I guess this year they're just gonna sit out sdcc and just go to d23 expo.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #61
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Are you going to D23 this year? I thought about going myself, but I won't have the funds since it's just a few weeks after SDCC.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #62
projectile
Sidekick

I am going this year, but only for friday and saturday. I'm skipping sunday. I already got my tickets, tickets are pricey man and its only going to get more expensive in the coming months.

I like d23 expo, but you gotta be a disney fan since its a disney event and mostley everything is disney related.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #63
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

So I am now a driver for the lyft ride sharing service and probably by the time sdcc rolls around I'll be with uber as well so any of you guys that need rides back to hotels I can give you guys a referral code that gives a credit if it's your first ride. I'll probably be down for sdcc to work so maybe I'll give some of your drunk asses a ride.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #64
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Comic-Con 2015 Hotel Reservations Open Tuesday, March 24 at 9:00 AM Pacific Time

Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #65
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Damn, I don't think I got a hotel this year. It didn't load properly for me.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #66
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Same here, man.

First click at 9:00- Page didn't load- dead page
Second click- page is spinning
Third click- page is spinning

Second window loads, but doesn't load correctly. It has all the fields, but won't let me select a hotel. Drop-down menu is frozen and won't let me select a hotel.

Open another window- Works properly, but it's probably too late. Didn't finish the submission until 9:08.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #67
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me. I had to reload like four times and when it did, the hotel selection didn't load properly. I was too afraid to refresh the page and just click on submit without making a hotel selection, since that was messed up.

I then entered again using a different name and email address and finished at 9:12am.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #68
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I didn't even think to use a different name and email address. I submitted two pages without even selecting a hotel. The first one was done by accident. Since I couldn't select anything, I hit enter and it took me to the "Form Sucessfully Submitted" page. The second time I tried to select a hotel and it still wouldn't let me. The last time, it finally loaded correctly, giving me the "Click here to start your request" pop up. I didn't get that message in any of the prior attempts.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #69
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, I reading that other people had this problem while others didn't.

I may end up with a hotel in Chula Vista.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #70
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Same. Hey, at least we'll save a great deal of cash.

It wouldn't be SDCC without complications.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #71
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

It's a good thing you guys know a lyft driver that can get you to sdcc or home.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #72
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Here's a spot of good news: CCI has acknowledged their drop-down menu issues and said that if you received a "Successful Submission" message, even without selecting a hotel, you will receive an email later tonight asking you to submit your top hotel choices. Each "successful submission" message comes with a time-stamp, and you will keep that same time stamp, even with multiple submissions. Once all of this gets ironed out, everyone will be put in whatever order the system deems correct and hotels will be selected for people.

I called Travel Planners and confirmed this with an agent.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #73
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

That is some good news, but I'm sure how much that helps since my submission without a hotel selection was around 9:06am.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #74
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

How'd people fare during the Hotelocalypse?
I got bupkiss, but thanks to some help from a friend still have crash space.

Thanks, TravelPlanners, for having a crappy interface.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #75
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Well, I crapped out as well.

I had trouble with loading the page and then when it did download, I got a bad registration form where I didn't get to select my six hotel choices. I was afraid to hit refresh in fear that I would not be able to log back onto the site. So I tried to fiddle around with the hotel selection by press CTRL + ENTER and whatnot, but nothing. So, even though the form was bad, I still submitted the form around 9:08 or something. I called Travel Planners about it a couple of days ago and they said they would take my information and send it to a manager. I didn't get any email from TP (no confirmation of my request or saying tough luck no hotel for you), so I called again this morning and basically the same response of we don't have any information and we'll pass it on to a manager and email you back.

My wife also crapped out and is on a waiting list.