Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG I hope so. Swamp Thing is my fave and I was pretty disappointed in the last series. I liked Snyder's run.
    http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
      OMG I hope so. Swamp Thing is my fave and I was pretty disappointed in the last series. I liked Snyder's run.
      The Len Wein mini series? I still regret he wasn't able to talk Bernie Wrightson into the reunion to do it. His art would have sold the story so much better than Kelly's. Now it will never be. And I fear Wrightson isn't long for this world either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
        The Len Wein mini series? I still regret he wasn't able to talk Bernie Wrightson into the reunion to do it. His art would have sold the story so much better than Kelly's. Now it will never be. And I fear Wrightson isn't long for this world either.
        Yeah I got them all but it really wasn't my thing. I'm more into the "sophisticated horror" type stories concerning Swamp Thing; the last series felt kind of like a step back into more super hero territory. Wrightson is ALWAYS perfect for Swamp Thing.

Comment

• Was that Snyder or Lemire that did Swamp Thing? I know Lemire was doing Animal Man not too long ago and that was good for a little while.

Comment

• Snyder did Swamp Thing and it crossed over with Lemire's Animal Man for the Rotworld saga.

He did the first three volumes of New 52, which is probably the first ongoing Swamp Thing I've read. I thought it was pretty good but it definitely felt like a superhero book.

Comment

• There were definite superhero elements, as there was in Moore's run, but there was also a lot of horrific stuff going on with the kingdom of rot establishing itself on Earth. I felt like it was a nice balance between horror and action; kind of like the old Swamp Thing movie by Wes Craven, which I love. I also liked the character focused issues, like the one on Arcane. I loved it. The last series though was pretty boring by comparison, the art wasn't as good, the story wasn't as good, and it seemed to focus more on Swampy being a hero and shrug off the more shocking horror elements and gore.

I was also a big fan of the Animal Man run by Lemire, probably the only thing I really liked by that guy. I wasn't a fan of his take on Moon Knight.

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
                Snyder did Swamp Thing and it crossed over with Lemire's Animal Man for the Rotworld saga.

He did the first three volumes of New 52, which is probably the first ongoing Swamp Thing I've read. I thought it was pretty good but it definitely felt like a superhero book.
                Oh yeah. That was the birth of Exposition Snyder. I remember Yanick Paquette would do these beautiful pages and then Scott would have these massive word balloons of talking and it was just a drag to keep reading.

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post

I was also a big fan of the Animal Man run by Lemire, probably the only thing I really liked by that guy. I wasn't a fan of his take on Moon Knight.
                Same. I keep giving that guy a chance and he's always hit or miss. I liked his Animal Man and he had this indie book I liked for a minute but stopped buying and everything else I tried (Superboy, TT: Earth One) was just bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                  Same. I keep giving that guy a chance and he's always hit or miss. I liked his Animal Man and he had this indie book I liked for a minute but stopped buying and everything else I tried (Superboy, TT: Earth One) was just bad.
                  Bloodshot has been okay under Lemire, a lot of people seem to really like it, but I was more of a fan of the early, more action/gore laden issues rather than his exercise in action hero deconstruction. Bloodshot Salvation has had an all right start, the art is great, but for the most part I don't get the Lemire love. I'm really glad he's off of Moon Knight I felt like his run on it was completely pointless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                    Doom Patrol/Justice League #1 Cover by Frank Quitely

Got a few more details on this:

“Milk Wars” will mash up DC’s Young Animal with characters from the DC Universe, beginning with a JUSTICE LEAGUE/DOOM PATROL SPECIAL from Orlando and Way, followed by SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL/WONDER WOMAN SPECIAL, MOTHER PANIC/BATMAN SPECIAL, CAVE CARSON/SWAMP THING SPECIAL and DOOM PATROL/JUSTICE LEAGUE SPECIAL. The weekly crossover adventure begins January 31.
                    The fact that Swamp Thing is going to be involved in the crossover kind of indicates that he's getting another series as every other property in the mash ups has an ongoing.

They also had some additional Vertigo announcements.

Comment

• MILK WARS! In which our intrepid and eclectic gang of motley heroes attempts to thwart the sugary machinations of the Anti-Nutrition Sub-Committee on Unhealthiness! The enemy leader is Chocolate Milk, sworn nemesis of Whole Milk, and his secret weapon -- our main (milk!) man's kidnapped little sister, Skim -- may be mouthwashed into serving the Cavities of Evil!
                      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                        Got a few more details on this:

The fact that Swamp Thing is going to be involved in the crossover kind of indicates that he's getting another series as every other property in the mash ups has an ongoing.

They also had some additional Vertigo announcements.
                        Well, there's an entire crossover event I am going to have to buy. It's been several years since I could say that.

Comment

• Well, I haven't read anything from Young Animal, but if GL is in the JL crossovers, I'll pick them up because I'm pretty sure I've gotten every GL appearance since Flashpoint.

Comment

• I have to have 3 out of 5 oneshots due to Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing, so I may as well get the other 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              Well, I haven't read anything from Young Animal, but if GL is in the JL crossovers, I'll pick them up because I'm pretty sure I've gotten every GL appearance since Flashpoint.
                              When I was keeping up with GL, I never counted his appearances in JLA as intregal to my GL collection, unless it was a GL centric story. It was the only way I could justify not chasing down things that had little to do with GL. Otherwise my 7 GL longboxes would be more like 18 longboxes. My hat is off to you for trying though. I know Andrew used to try to do all of it too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                                When I was keeping up with GL, I never counted his appearances in JLA as intregal to my GL collection, unless it was a GL centric story. It was the only way I could justify not chasing down things that had little to do with GL. Otherwise my 7 GL longboxes would be more like 18 longboxes. My hat is off to you for trying though. I know Andrew used to try to do all of it too.
                                I get and read the JL or say when he appeared in Blue Beetle, but I don't put them in my GL boxes. They're just under their respective DC boxes. In fact, I recently moved Larfleeze, Sinestro, and Red Lanterns from GL to the general DC boxes and am thinking of removing them from my GL master list since they aren't technically GL books.

I'm not 100% sure I have every appearance, but since I already get JL, the Bat books, and Supes, I feel relatively confident.

I know I'll never be able to do that for his whole history, but it's definitely a life goal to own every GL proper book some day. I have everything since GL series two #79 and lot of the issues before that (only a handful missing between 31 and 80), but no Golden ones yet.

I was really happy that my LCS got a stack of Silver Age comics recently and they included 5 GLs I didn't have.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 10-07-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X