No announcement yet.

Son of Classic Horror Films (50s & 60s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't see his eyes so I'm thinking someone just dressed the costume.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      I can't see his eyes so I'm thinking someone just dressed the costume.
      It was an occassional character on the original Munsters series.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post
        It was an occassional character on the original Munsters series.
        Was he? I don't remember (and I watched that show too).

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          Was he? I don't remember (and I watched that show too).
          Yep...

BTW...

Comment

• I love, love, love The Blob. The only reason I don't have it on DVD yet is because it always seems to be expensive—like Criterion movies, it doesn't seem to come cheap (and most of my DVDs I try to get used or on sale).

BTW: I also like the 80s remake (though not to the same degree).

Comment

• Did you ever see the goofy sequel to the original?

Comment

Did you ever see the goofy sequel to the original?
                Yep. I suppose it had its moments. The skating rink owner is so annoying though.

Comment

• I keep hoping that Netflix will get a new copy of Dementia/Daughter of Horror which is the movie the teenagers are watching in the theatre before they're attacked. I'm still not sure what movie of Lugosi's was suppose to be showing since his name is on the marquee.

Comment

• The H-Man (1959)

Since there were no giant monsters, this fits more here than in kaiju despite the fact that it was directed by Inoshiro Honda. This is essentially Japan's answer to The Blob except the blob in question is the result of nuclear testing. It eats people (and occasionally takes their ghostly shape), which than adds to it.

Comment

• Wow! That looks gross and disgusting...I have to see it!

Comment

Wow! That looks gross and disgusting...I have to see it!
                        It's like 3 minutes of gross distributed through the picture, but yeah, I thought it was kind of "gory" for '58. Must be the differences between American and Japanese standards. At the same time Japanese films were living with Hays-like strictness regarding sex and nudity. This movie gets about as racy as they were allowed when you see a woman's bare calf.

Comment

• Konga (1961)

"Margaret, I can't stand hysterics. Especially in the morning."

Britain's answer to King Kong and the kaiju craze. A do-anything botanist makes a plant-based serum to turn his pet chimp, Konga, into a man-sized killer slave. Things go wrong and he gets even bigger—eventually at eye level to Big Ben's clock face, though he doesn't climb it, just kind of hangs in front of it and looks confused.

Michael Gough stars as the murderous botanist. Fans here might remember him as the Celestial Toymaker from Doctor Who, Arthur Holmwood in Horror of Dracula, or Alfred in Burton's Batman movies.

Not sure if she looks deeply disturbed or is just giving Konga the "oh, you" look.

Comment

• Gorgo (1961)

Now, this was really Britain's answer to Godzilla though a giant monster movie of renown in its own right.

The destruction of London by Gorgo's mother is particularly good. Rather horrific for its day is a scene including people jumping (presumably to their death) from their apartment windows just before she crushes their flat.

Comment

• I saw this one as a kid before I saw Godzilla so I have a very large soft place in my heart for Gorgo (and his mom).

Comment

• I should have spent the time watching Gorgo again instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X