Son of Classic Horror Films (50s & 60s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    Sorry I missed on the birth of this thread while on vaca. I love this time period of monster/horror/alien movies.
    Given the success of last October's Drac/Frank double feature I'm hoping to do a 50s version this October for my church film club. My current thought is Invasion of the Body Snatchers (for aliens and Red Scare flix) and Them (for atomic mishap flix). However, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Thing from Another World, and The Blob have been bandied about too.
    BTW: Lust for a Vampire was definitely different for Hammer. I think for it's day it would've border on soft core if you just think of the percentage of the film with some nudity in it.
    Yeah, we've missed ya...But you got to see real wolves!

It's nice that you've got a venue with an audience for these classics. I know the first time I saw Ray Harryhausen's Seventh Voyage of Sinbad was when I was in the second grade and going to a catholic school (which now sort of strikes me as odd considering the subject matter). Full blown big screen in the big hall, noisy projector and all.

An interesting double feature might The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Amazing Colossal Man (just suggestions)...Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman might be a bit tawdry for a church group. lol

Lust for a Vampire was kind of Hammer heading for their 'last hurrah'...they were always known for their buxom vixen vampires and felt that they needed to change with the times to keep there box office numbers up (no pun intended). They couldn't really compete with the Hammer 'clones'...like stuff that Jess Franco was doing (although his Count Dracula was probably closer than any other movie to Stoker's novel).

Comment

Comment

All part of our John Agar film festival. lol

The 'Researcher' is actually the one that created the damn thing...and you should probably try to escape wearing more than flimsy lingerie.

Future Uber-celebrity sighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post
          An interesting double feature might The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Amazing Colossal Man (just suggestions)...Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman might be a bit tawdry for a church group. lol
          I haven't seen The Amazing Colossal Man yet (except bits in shows). Gotta work on that.

Comment

I haven't seen The Amazing Colossal Man yet...

Just kidding...But ya better hurry...you'll have a sequel and another 'sorta' sequel to get through.

Comment

Not on Netflix, so I'll have to do YouTube or something.

Comment

Not on Netflix, so I'll have to do YouTube or something.
                That was how I got to see Calitiki again. Netflix is starting to piss me off now that they've almost got a monopoly on the 'strange and unusual'...at least a quarter of my recent rentals have been cracked or scratched to the point of being unplayable. On the bright side, I have been watching some of their stuff streaming, especially the stuff they don't have for DVD rental.

Comment

This was different. Really a horror-comedy, which was unusual for '64. Also a kind of predecessor to Texas Chainsaw Massacre; House of 1,000 Corpses; and other maniac family movies.
                  I like Chaney's performance a lot.
                  And Sid Haig I've met.

Comment

This was different. Really a horror-comedy, which was unusual for '64. Also a kind of predecessor to Texas Chainsaw Massacre; House of 1,000 Corpses; and other maniac family movies. I like Chaney's performance a lot. And Sid Haig I've met.
                    This one is such a gem. I bet John Waters wishes he had made it.
                    Mr. Chaney was just incredible in this...and he sings the theme song!

Sid Haig??? COOL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Abin Surly View Post
                      This one is such a gem. I bet John Waters wishes he had made it.
                      Mr. Chaney was just incredible in this...and he sings the theme song!

Sid Haig??? COOL!!!!

Yeah, but I had him sign a photo from House of 1000 Corpses. He's been in a bunch of stuff though (including Diamonds Are Forever).

Comment

Yeah, but I had him sign a photo from House of 1000 Corpses. He's been in a bunch of stuff though (including Diamonds Are Forever).
                        He's got a pretty impressive résumé for someone who bailed out of show business for a while.

Comment

BTW: I decided to look at Netflix's reviews for Spider Baby. It was funny because the first 3 or 4 raved about it, then the last on the page said "What are you guys talking about?" We can discount that guy though since he said the movie was the worse of the 50s and it's not even close to a 1950s movie (hello, '68).

Comment

BTW: I decided to look at Netflix's reviews for Spider Baby. It was funny because the first 3 or 4 raved about it, then the last on the page said "What are you guys talking about?" We can discount that guy though since he said the movie was the worse of the 50s and it's not even close to a 1950s movie (hello, '68).
                            Yep, you have to sort of 'feel out' the reviews on there, and things like mistaking a film released in the late 60s as a 50s film is a dead giveaway. I wish they would post more of the 'real' reviews on there.

Comment

True. Certain movies are just not going to be properly appreciated by those who are quick to review on Netflix.

Comment

True. Certain movies are just not going to be properly appreciated by those who are quick to review on Netflix.

Maybe we should start doing a Siskel and Ebert thing on there. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X