Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone get a good sense of the overall fan's reaction to Rebirth?
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Twitter/Reddit have been happy with this week's titles as far as I can tell and they loved last week's one-shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
        Anyone get a good sense of the overall fan's reaction to Rebirth?
        It seemed well received...I don't know much about business, but I don't think there would be the special edition things coming out if it hadn't.

All it did for me was reaffirm my knocking off over fifty percent of my DC subscriptions and moving them over to Marvel. I didn't like the direction at all, and the worse thing for me is apparently this new direction will have repercussions all over DC. Too bad for me.

I'm keeping my Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Superman subscriptions, and hoping like hell they don't mess up Blue Beetle or Teen Titans (of course I HAVE to check those two out, I've been waiting forever for another Jaime title in particular).

In my (admittedly twisted) mind, that's it. Marvel finally overcame DC in my mind, it took them years to do it, though. To me that sorry ass Batman movie, Johns' continued, sorry ass executive position and retarded leave of writing comics, Rebirth #1, us Green Lantern fans getting a Hulk sized spiked dildo up the buttal regions...I'm mostly done.

But that's just my lowly opinion. Hey, a lot of people are into what DC's doing and more power to them. I consider myself fortunate to be able to hang around and just talk about comics, to be honest!
        KilowogsDisciple
        Green Lantern
        Last edited by KilowogsDisciple; 06-01-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Uh....heh. I just realized that Detective Comics had not only Barrows on art but co-features BATWOMAN. One big wow...

(sheepishly) maybe I'm wrong....

Comment

'Rebirth': Geoff Johns Talks About Bringing Hope Back to the DC Universe
            So, is this really it for you and comics? You're co-writing a couple of the Rebirth relaunch issues, but this seems to be the last thing you have on the cards in terms of comics for the foreseeable future.

I'm taking a break for awhile. Rebirth is my last book for awhile, Justice League No. 50 is my last monthly book for awhile. But, you know, comics are my first love. I'll be back — I've set some stuff up in the Rebirth special that I'm going to see through — but I need to take a break and take care of some other things. I won't be gone that long. It's nice to read comics as a fan for awhile, though. [Laughs]
            'Rebirth is the DNA of DC Comics': Geoff Johns offers in-depth breakdown of epic new comic
            Will Shazam be getting his own book? What about Justice Society and Legion of Super Heroes? And what’s the strategy to rolling it out?

“There will be a Shazam book. Not by me, but they’re definitely doing a Shazam book. One of the reasons they’re double shipping, the advantage to double-ship, is to take the number of titles and contract it, and the number of characters. Get these characters right. Then, slowly, when you’ve made sure everything’s working in a great way, then Shazam comes out. Legion of Super-Heroes comes out. Justice Society comes out. Atom comes out. All the other books can come out. But it’s important to get them done right first. It is hard to launch 52 books, and make them all great. I think it’s better to focus on fewer characters, then expand it as the emotional base is back.”

Some of it is long-term plans. Some of this stuff you’ll see in a week, some of it you’ll see months and months from now. You don’t want to dump everything out. You want it to breathe, and live organically. But there is a story to be told. The JSA is one of the casualties of a reboot; you lose some of that history. This is to say, there was this secret team and only Johnny Thunder knows what happened. And seeing those characters come back … This is probably getting ahead of myself, and you can read between the lines, but if Wally represents individual legacy, the JSA represent team legacy.”

[And yes, he confirms that that is Saturn Girl on Page 19]
            The Superman mystery and death of New 52 Superman:

“The way he goes out is very interesting. In Superman #52, he explodes with energy, and there’s just ash. You’re not sure what happened to him. There is a mystery to what Superman of New 52, and Superman of Lois & Clark are. We picked that up and said, there’s no difference between pre-Flashpoint and post-Flashpoint, so there has to be a new mystery between these characters. That plays out in the Superman books.”
            Which storyline will continue the plotline with Doctor Manhattan:

“That will be a future conversation! That would be a good story to tell. And I will say, it would be a story that would not involve double-page spreads of super heroes smashing their fists into Doctor Manhattan. You have to treat that very carefully. It is an intellectual and emotional story. It is definitely not a 10-part crossover. That story is a special, special story to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
              I kind of feel sorry for both Moore and Gibbons but at the same time I don't.

It's a shame Watchmen hasn't been left alone. I thought it'd be left as one of THE classic DC stories that was self contained.

But on the other side of the coin, they created these characters while at DC and DC can do what they want with the characters. Do DC really owe an explanation ?

I think the characters used in a different context works and as we might've seen with Mr.Oz already , they could be a lot different to how we saw them in Watchmen.

Comment

Originally posted by LanternJake View Post

I think the characters used in a different context works and as we might've seen with Mr.Oz already , they could be a lot different to how we saw them in Watchmen.
                They could all end up redesigned by Jim Lee with kewl V collars, strappy boots, armor plating and lots of linework.

DC would have been better off not touching Watchmen and leaving it a self contained story contained in those 12 issues. More proof that Kahn and Levitz leaving DC were the worst thing to happen to DC since...well, pretty much ever.

Comment

DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1 Gets Third Printing, First Wave Of REBIRTH One-Shots Get Seconds

Comment

Square bound and $5.99 for the 3rd printing as well.

Comment

I'm feeling a little put out that DC may well have deliberately run a shorter initial run on this so they could jack the price on all subsequent runs once hype had built (partly from its "sold out" status). I'm also more annoyed that my LCS didn't pull it for me in the first place (though if the quantities were limited, they may not have GOTTEN enough copies to pull one for me).

Is anybody really demanding the fancier binding that supposedly accounts for this higher price? I doubt it.

Comment

Did you tell your LCS to pull the book for you?

Comment

Maybe the shorter initial was due to John Geoffs' commitment to buy back all copies of Rebirth if readers didn't like it.
                          You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                            Did you tell your LCS to pull the book for you?
                            Not specifically, no, so I definitely bear some of the blame, but I DID confirm with them in advance that they would be pulling Rebirth titles related to titles on my current pull list (so they BETTER have done THAT), and I assumed that they would pull Rebirth, too, since it seems kind of important, almost my entire pull list is DC, and in the past they have ALWAYS pulled that sort of thing automatically and just let me tell them if I didn't want it when I came to pick up my box.

Comment

I didn't ask for Rebirth #1 and they didn't pull it for me, but my local shop still had a few copies on the shelf on that Wednesday it came out. I bought it for shits and giggles, and to give it a chance.

They did pull Green LanternS rebirth #1 for me yesterday. I was just going to read it on the shelf but there weren't any left on the shelf anyway. I said screw it and bought it.

Comment

I'm off from work today and spent time bagging/boarding old comics and filing them away in longboxes in my comic room. I got everything put away and spent time tidying up and reorganizing my 7 GL longboxes. I labelled the divider cards I was missing and fixed some filing mistakes I made the last few years. Feeling kind of melancholy about it right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X