Has Alan's character been ruined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Alan's character been ruined?

It was mostly alright until the 1980 and 1990s. Then we got Ragnarok, Sentinel, Young Alan, Old Alan, Young Alan, Old Again Alan, One Eyed Alan etcetera and now I don't even know what to make of him anymore.

Yeah. I never liked him to begin with but there have been MANY stupid changes to him.

Comment

I know he is the original and all but I just don't really care about his character, he doesn't seem all that interesting. so yes, been ruined

Comment

Under used, and under appreciated?...yes. Ruined...no. He's a great character that has been kinda forgotten since IC. He's used very sparingly in the new Justice Society series, and with more new legacy characters coming soon, he will most likely lose more page time there.

The emphasis has been on Hal since his return. We could ask the same question about John Stewart as of late. Both John and Alan are great characters that just need to be used properly. A few good stories, and both of these characters could be back on top.

Comment

Alan has been mis-handled same as John and Kyle recently. I really like Alan he is basically the Original Superhero in DC I don't think anyone does not look up to Alan

The one-shot story in JSA:Classifed shows why Alan is an amazing character, whoever wrote that understood
          My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

I've never read a story with him that I didn't like

Comment

Under and Mis Used, yes, but ruined?!? I don't think so. Awesome character, oneof my all time favorites, he just gets forgotten time to time. It will be interesting to see what ends up happening with the Kingdom Come Superman in JSA. Before he showed up, Alan was the recognized shit-kicker and most most powerful of the team. Should be interesting to see, but I think down the road we need a definitive "Alan Scott is the big banana" story arc somewhere.

~My 2 cents~

Comment

I do think he has been ruin. I think he needs a good story line for him.Look back, Kyle (Ion/JLA/Countdown/Corps/Parallax),Hal (Spectre/Parallax/JLA/Corps),John (Mosaic/Darkstars/JLA/Corps), and Guy(Corps/Corpse/Vuldarian/JLI). Alan (small part in JSA and a short part in checkmate). He needs a story line with him, maybe the return of his daughter.

Comment

I don't think Alan was ruined. Some of the best JSA stories centered around him and his responsibilities as a father.

Comment

Alan just needs a higher profile. His character is actually better, he's the "father figure" of superheroes but he just needs a few high profile storys and more action.

Comment

I don't think he's been ruined. I think he's under appreciated as hell but he hasn't been ruined. The only problem I can think of right now is that he's so powerful that it's hard to put him in conflict with someone.

Comment

Didn't they update his costume in the 90's? What happened to that, it couldn't have been that bad. at least not as bad as a red sweatshirt and super collar cape

Comment

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
                          Alan has been mis-handled same as John and Kyle recently. I really like Alan he is basically the Original Superhero in DC I don't think anyone does not look up to Alan

The one-shot story in JSA:Classifed shows why Alan is an amazing character, whoever wrote that understood
                          I loved the STARMAN series in the 1990s.
                          When ack met Alan, he compared the JSA to the Apollo Astronauts and Alan was the Neil Armstrong.

This was when Alan was in the generic costume and name of "Sentinal" and Jack was still in awe of him.

= bad ass

Comment

Alan..ruined...no way!! He is a great charcter and the original GL for crying out loud. I have enjoyed all stories that involved him in a major way, I believe he needs a maxi or ongoing. I just wish that everyone supported Alan and not just a few of us, mabey with the proper writer.....mabey.

Comment

Personally

I love Alan, he was a great character in the 70's during the cross-over years. 80's he was just kinda there. Never really used as the power house he was. Then in more recent years (end of the last GL series) he was used as the elder statesman kind of guy. The one that Kyle could look up too, father figure. Which is what he's become for the whole DCU. He's the one that they all can go to. Chances are he's been there done that and back again.
                              I personally feel they Alan is the untapped mega power not used that way. I mean for christsake he was entirely made up of energy until JSA 50 or so. He was the total embodiment of the most powerful energy entitiy in the universe.

Recommended readings on Alan, GL V2 40, 61, 108-110, 111-112. GLCQ, and most of the later Kyle series. Hero Quest had a good Alan Kyle scene.

Comment

Working...
                              X