No announcement yet.

So... do you like Green Lanterns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not perfect, but I think it's added a great deal to Simon's character. Jessica is still lagging a little, but this is a much better place for her than the main title where she'd get lost among a crowd of established characters.
    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I don't understand why earth should have six Green Lanterns. When Jessicas charcter isn't doubting herself anymore there is nothing left since that's all she is based on.

Skickat från min G8231 via Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jonasmorking View Post
        When Jessicas charcter isn't doubting herself anymore there is nothing left since that's all she is based on.

Skickat från min G8231 via Tapatalk
        That's an excellent point. When you create so many extra replacement heroes in any comic franchise, they need a hook to make them stand out. Like you say, when Jessica wraps up her arc of overcoming crazy, there won't be much left. You'll have her being a mexican and a woman, which are two checks off any SJW'S checklist, but those buffoons don't actually spend money on comics so they are only good for a pat on the back.

There will come a time when Goeff Johns doesn't work for DC (eventually), and then Simon and Jessica will be up for grabs as cannon fodder in some generic crisis event down the line.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't suspect Jessica Cruz will overcome her illness, for two reasons.

a) I'm not an expert, but I don't know if what she has is something that will up and go away and never return, or have the potential of returning. Things can definitely get better, but I think that can be a shade that hangs over a person in some cases.

b) As mentioned, it's her main defining trait, and once that is gone, what is she? Because of the lack of space for characters to develop and show readers who they really are in Green Lantern, the characters can usually only afford to have one or two character traits and defining moments.

Examples:
          Hal Jordan - reckless hotshot who became Parallax.
          John Stewart - Calculated marine who destroyed a world.
          Guy Gardner - Goodnatured jerk loudmouth. Sadly, I think his biggest moment is getting punched by Batman. I guess when you look at this, these guys are most known for negative stuff. Though, I suppose it can be argued that since superheroes doing good things and winning is so normal, people mostly really pay attention to the times when they're shamed or they falter.
          Kyle Rayner - sensitive artist who was the only Green Lantern for a time and his girlfriends die... or something.

That's pretty much all those characters get to be, so they can't afford to have any attributes taken away from them, including Jessica. There wouldn't be much left. It's really sad to think that despite some of these characters being around for decades upon decades, there's really hardly ANYTHING to them. But I guess the same could be said for someone like Link from the Legend of Zelda, but he's in games that can and often do get by with little story or character development, and he keeps rebooting practically every couple games. Rambling now, but still interesting to think about.
          Star-Lantern
          Weaponer of Qward
          Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-14-2017, 07:17 PM.
          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

If Jessica doesn't get over her mental illness, it will be because...bitches be crazy.

Comment

Working...
            X