The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lanterns
FLASHCHAT

Green Lanterns
View Poll Results: Do you care about Baz or Jessica?
Yes, both 1 9.09%
Just Baz 0 0%
Just Jessica 1 9.09%
No, neither 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Do you care about Baz and Jessica?

Because it kind of seems like... no one does, really? Or am I way off?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I would care about them only as burnt corpses. Owen and Beru style.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Because it kind of seems like... no one does, really? Or am I way off?
Someone here claims their wife is a big Cruz fan (sorry I can't remember you, bud).
Old 12-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

My wife was vaguely interested to hear that there was a female GL that hails from Portland , OR, since that's where we live. But she doesn't care enough to read any of the comics.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I don't think there are many readers out there who care enough to shell out money to support a Jessica comic.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I know I've been skipping Justice League Odyssey in part because Jessica is not a GL that makes me buy stuff I'm otherwise iffy on.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
IonFan
Forum Member

nope

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I don't want them to die. I just don't want to read about them. If I had to pick one, let them get rid of Simon.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Nope.
I would kill them both and never, EVER have them return, if I could. Actually, I would go so far as to retcon them out of ever existing.

As to whether anyone cares about them, I don't believe anyone likes Simon. Jessica? I think it depends on where you look. I don't think anyone here likes her, from what I have seen, but if you look in some other circles you will find some people who like her. However, I don't believe she is a particularly popular character.

At this point, I believe any new Earth Green Lantern is going to have such an uphill battle getting a very strong fanbase that DC should stop trying. The existing Green Lantern fans, which are already very fractured, are never going to accept any new character, which will only further fracture the fans and splinter the panel time.

Also, comics work so different now than they did in previous decades. Kyle Rayner was able to get a fanbase because some creators actually sat down and put in the effort to get him fans. Ron Marz and Daryl Banks put in years and years of work and had a very long and consistent run. That type of thing doesn't often happen in comics these days. You'll be extremely lucky to get 20 issues out of the same creative team, and heck, you'll be lucky to get 20 issues out of a single comic book title now.

I think there are a number of reasons for this. Lagging sales, which result in much more frequent creative shake ups than before. Some would say that there is a shorter attention span of the audience, but I'm not sure how true that is. Also, all the creator owned options creators have now. Why should they spend years and years building up some character only to have DC and WB benefit from all their hard work. Creators can put in that effort and build their own stuff and potentially reap far greater rewards.

Geoff Johns couldn't be bothered to put in the effort to really get Baz and Cruz a strong fanbase, and if he won't, no one else will. The Green Lanterns comic series, which Johns couldn't be bothered to write, only happened because Johns was President of DC at the time, and the mastermind behind the "Rebirth" initiative. That circumstance isn't likely to happen again.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-22-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Of course I care. They're Green Lanterns, and there's always something special about seeing characters develop relationships with their rings and find their place in the Corps.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Shit, no.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

They not only have to brutally murder THEM, they now have to kill the new new NEW one in Young Justice.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #13
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I don't care about either. They don't have to die, but if their rings stopped working, flew off their fingers and they had to go away, I'd be content.

I think Jessica would have been better served staying the new Power Ring instead of becoming a GL. She could have been a new Carol Ferris type of villain to add to the GL's rogues gallery, which could certainly use an upgrade.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #14
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Jessica will enter the world of DC's animated films, voiced by Diane Guerrero. This is yet another sign that she's connecting with fans.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...st-set-1173352
Old 01-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

The great, GREAT majority of these cartoon movie things that DC has been doing for the last 10 or 11 years or however long have been very bland and unremarkable to me. They often range from blandly okay, like that early Wonder Woman one, to outright terrible, like Justice League War. The only ones that really impressed me were Under the Red Hood and the recent Death of Superman one. Though, I'll be fair, I haven't seen all of them, but that is due to them hardly ever really impressing me when I do see them. There were some on the better side of okay, though, like All-Star Superman and Crisis on Two Earths. Still, they were very far from knocking my socks off like the golden days of the DCAU did, with Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and Justice League. This looks like one that I will probably skip unless I hear it is excellent, and I will be very surprised if it is.

As for Jessica Cruz... bleh. It seems DC is rather committed to her, which I feel is a mistake, but whatever.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

^A lot of them have felt like decent two-part episodes--a fine diversion, but nothing I'd rush to get. However, I thought the Wonder Woman animated movie was excellent. That and JL: Final Frontier are the only non-GL ones I currently own, but I would like to get the Suicide Squad ones.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #17
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^A lot of them have felt like decent two-part episodes--a fine diversion, but nothing I'd rush to get. However, I thought the Wonder Woman animated movie was excellent. That and JL: Final Frontier are the only non-GL ones I currently own, but I would like to get the Suicide Squad ones.
Concerning the Green Lantern ones, I thought First Flight was one of the okay ones. Not bad, but also not especially exciting, and Emerald Knights was just boring for me.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #18
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
Concerning the Green Lantern ones, I thought First Flight was one of the okay ones. Not bad, but also not especially exciting, and Emerald Knights was just boring for me.
I thought FF was better than the live-action movie. As for EK, it's probably only mediocre objectively, but just having all those GLs in a cartoon is enough to keep me entertained (there was a long time I thought we'd never see an animated GL again, let alone a movie) and "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" came off well.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #19
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
The great, GREAT majority of these cartoon movie things that DC has been doing for the last 10 or 11 years or however long have been very bland and unremarkable to me. They often range from blandly okay, like that early Wonder Woman one, to outright terrible, like Justice League War. The only ones that really impressed me were Under the Red Hood and the recent Death of Superman one. Though, I'll be fair, I haven't seen all of them, but that is due to them hardly ever really impressing me when I do see them. There were some on the better side of okay, though, like All-Star Superman and Crisis on Two Earths. Still, they were very far from knocking my socks off like the golden days of the DCAU did, with Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and Justice League. This looks like one that I will probably skip unless I hear it is excellent, and I will be very surprised if it is.

As for Jessica Cruz... bleh. It seems DC is rather committed to her, which I feel is a mistake, but whatever.

I always thought the DCAU was a mixed bag, and that the current DC animated films are an upgrade. However, I was disappointed when John got no backstory in his appearance, so I hope JL vs the FF doesn't repeat that omission.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #20
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
I always thought the DCAU was a mixed bag, and that the current DC animated films are an upgrade. However, I was disappointed when John got no backstory in his appearance, so I hope JL vs the FF doesn't repeat that omission.
Fair enough. As they say... different strokes, and all that.

As for John's appearance, I don't know why they bothered having him at all, since he was given no good reason for being there, they didn't do anything with him, and especially if they are swapping him out for Jessica so soon. From the description, it sounds like Jessica will be an important part of this film, and I get the feeling that whoever is back there at DC seems to like Jessica more than John Stewart anyway, or she at least seems to be more of a priority, so she will probably get better treatment.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-15-2019 at 06:25 AM.