Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Video Games
FLASHCHAT

Qward

Old 01-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #3601
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
If you don't mind occasionally extremely hard side scrollers (with unlimited lives), you should give The Messenger a try. You can find it at the eshop for, I don't know, 19 bucks or so.
I saw Mike Matei and his friend Ryan review that, it looked great. I'll have to remember it for when I have a Switch...years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Toy Galaxy did a good retrospective on Captain N, which I have a lot of nostalgia for.
I remember that show, vaguely.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #3602
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I saw Mike Matei and his friend Ryan review that, it looked great. I'll have to remember it for when I have a Switch...years from now.
It's on PC as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...The_Messenger/
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #3603
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Over 1M people played RE2 demo, only 29% completed it
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 AM   #3604
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

1) Took multiple tries, finally got the "Classic" mask from the current global event, Strike. I nearly got it the first try, except I took blast damage from an ally in the mission's boss battle and had to engage several follow-up attempts.

2) JMM: "No coins/enemies" Super Mario Bros challenge
Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 AM   #3605
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I watched that this afternoon and I have to say those guys who claim Mike and James aren't really hardcore gamers should watch this one. Both of them pull off at least one really impressive move each in this challenge.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 AM   #3606
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Pfeh. Anyone who claims either isn't hardcore hasn't seen them do any of the classics. I know James has beaten all three classic Ninja Gaiden games, as well as Street Fighter 2010 (which is absurdly hard) and the Ghosts n Goblins franchise, as well as any number of other difficult games.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:06 AM   #3607
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, well you'll see a lot of those comments particularly in the videos where they mess up something or don't know all the rules or secrets of some game. And if you compare one of those to some super, perfect speed run by the world's best, they don't necessarily rank. I think a big part of that is because they're willing to show you the failures and learning curves instead of just the best runs. But they've certainly proved their acumen with the core NES library and stuff like this is just impressive.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #3608
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Rogue One writer rips into EA over mishandling of Star Wars license
Old 01-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #3609
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Activision is charging $2 for a fucking reticle, showing their absolute disregard for consumers
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #3610
Space Cop
The Dandy

That's funny. I thought you covered this ridiculous example of pay DLC, but I guess I saw the discussion elsewhere. It's pretty much the height of stupidity in the practice.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #3611
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I might have mentioned them charging a dollar for a dot in the targeting reticle, but that was $1 and a short while back, and this is pretty new.

Anyway...

Finished watching a full walkthrough for Bloodborne, which really makes me want to both get that (even though I don't really have HDD space for it right now on my PS4), and go through all the old Souls games (I only have Dark Souls 1, never bought any of the others). Also watching lore videos explaining the backgrounds of DS3 and BB, and goddamn are they fascinating.

Hell, it even makes me want to read Lovecraft's works.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #3612
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

JMM: Silver Surfer, no shots fired

I gotta say, the new intro is actually really nice.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:22 AM   #3613
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:

I gotta say, the new intro is actually really nice.
I guess that's just for the challenges videos. Come up with a clever one and you can keep them going. The Mario ones were more interesting to me. They could take a break for a while; try some of the many classic games they've mentioned that they need to do and intersperse the challenges every now and then.

But, whatever. I watch almost everything on the main Cinemassacre channel (the exceptions would be a Talk-About-Games, where the topic is totally uninteresting to me and I've even watched a few of those because they cover it well) and occasional stuff on Mike's play-through channel.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-22-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:25 AM   #3614
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Well, I looked up how to unlock all the bonus costumes for all the characters in Ninja Storm 4, and now I see I shouldn't have traded away a bunch of items I'd gained over playing the game (they're easily replaced, just random shit you win in battles or finding them lying about, or trading some to NPCs for other items), because a lot of them are used in purchasing the bonus costumes and other selectables. Looks like I'll be working on buying up a bunch of the items I like (I did grab some, but a few more remain).

Also been working on finishing minor challenges that crop up and some other side quests before I dig into doing the "Memory Fragments," which are the battles from the first half of the series and up to before this game begins. I'll also need to redo a whole ass-load of the story battles to get better ratings so that I can earn those trophies. Ugh.

The Division has me faring a little better, since I'm close to completing 750 missions and 100 co-op missions. After I'm done those, I might try Survival to earn the Stygian mask.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #3615
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Why didn't anyone tell me how mother loving hard Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is?!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #3616
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

It gets easier fast. Do a few shrines, get a few more hearts, and stock up on potions to replenish your health. Some of those potions even give you additional hearts on top of your maximum.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:25 AM   #3617
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Finished the last side quest in Naruto's Adventure story for Ninja Storm 4. I only needed to do the sparring partners quest, which frankly only served to highlight, even more than was already obvious, the balancing problems CC2 has long had with the franchise. To briefly explain, the higher up the sparring network ladder you go, the enemies get +10% boosts to attack power, all the way up to +100% for the final match. If you aren't prepared, it is extremely easy to die. Obviously this is a sleazy and cheap way to bolster the difficulty and pad game length.

Since unlocking the bonus costumes and much of the other cosmetics requires exchanging in-game items earned via exploration/combat/task completion, and since I want to see how much I can do, I'm going to work towards checking off some (maybe eventually all) of the "50 Ninja Tasks" in addition to completing the other two Adventure mode stories.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:30 AM   #3618
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Why didn't anyone tell me how mother loving hard Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is?!
I feel like I'm clear since the Mini-Classic NES is the first Nintendo I've had since the original Wii and that was the first since the original NES . . . plus I've never gotten into RPGs (action or otherwise).
Old 01-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #3619
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://wccftech.com/law-firms-class...vision-bungie/
Old 01-29-2019, 12:45 AM   #3620
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

1) Last night I hooked my PS3 back up, re-downloaded the DLC for Dark Souls, and started a new playthrough. I quit before the first boss (Asylum Demon) but finished him off and made it to Undead Burg a little bit ago. Hopefully I can actually find the strength to complete the game this time around (I got maybe a quarter into it before giving up years ago).

2) Episode 300 of James & Mike Mondays. Huzzah!

edit --

James, Mike, and Kieran play the original Resident Evil 2!

Last edited by Agent Purple; 01-29-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 AM   #3621
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Hard to believe they've done so many. I love James and Mike Mondays. I haven't watched them since the very beginning, but I made up the ones I missed.

They remind me of my old best friend and I just gaming and razzing each other. The clip show bit was fun.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:52 AM   #3622
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

That clip show made me remember those huge-ass sideburns James used to sport.

Anyway...

French man gets four months in prison for replacing PS4 price sticker with $10 fruit sticker
Old 02-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #3623
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

1) Tried Survival for The Division, didn't do terribly (almost died once, dude revived me, a random player gave me a load of good gear, made it to the extraction point). Unfortunately I died to a pair of Hunters (one appeared right in front of me, almost killed it, but then a second showed up because another player was nearby and caused it to spawn, which royally screwed me). Dunno if I'll invest much into this now that I have tried it. It's not bad, it is kind of fun and challenging, but it's almost irritating as hell dealing with thirst, hunger, the disease timer, and the cold.

2) Been working on S-rank ratings for Ninja Storm 4, managed a few but the battles are still total bullshit in terms of balance and even when I do well, the game will refuse to give me any higher than A-rank. Hell if I know if I'll ever finish off many more of the trophies.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 AM   #3624
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

1) Finally got S-rank on all 54 Memory Fragments for Ninja Storm 4. The sheer ridiculousness of some of the fights (the absurd boosts to attack power, mostly, but I think a couple did have infinite dodges) made things a lot more frustrating than they had any reason to be. But now I just have to worry about S-ranking the story fights.

2) Progressed a little in Dark Souls, almost making it to the Taurus Demon, this big bastard minotaur patrolling a section of castle wall. I still remember hearing back when the game first came out that players could trick the AI into jumping to its doom for an easy win, and then that got patched. He's not too difficult, but I really didn't feel like dealing with his shit today. I also avoided both Havel the Rock (at the bottom of the tower the Taurus Demon is on top of) and the Black Knight in Undead Burg. I still remember facing that tough guy, and I'm not eager to try my luck with him again just yet.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #3625
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

A bit late I know but I finally got around to playing Horizon Zero Dawn. And OMG this game is so good. I just finished it not 20 minutes ago, it's 2:30am currently. And when the games final cinematic ended I found myself having a full blown break down. I have never cried at the ending of a video game. But this made me cry hard. It was more of a happy cry than a sad or mad one. The story is wonderful and the worlds lore is amazing. If you have a PS4, love games with strong stories that are both exciting and emotional, get this game and play it.

The game play is also wonderful, the UI is easy to navigate even in combat and the variety of weapons and combat abilities make each encounter unique as you have dozens if not hundreds of ways you can take down any enemy you encounter.

Also the game is beautiful even in ruins or in the middle of combat the world around you is stunning to look at. There are places where you just want to stop and look at the vistas and surroundings. It's worth the price for that alone.

I can't wait for a sequel to this game. The story clearly sets up a sequel and from what I understand it more than sold enough to justify making a second one.

Next up for me, starting tomorrow .. Spider-Man ...

Darth_Andrea