No announcement yet.

The Neil Gaiman Sandman Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC, whose parent company is Time Warner, is hoping to change Vertigo’s fortune this fall with six new series premiering from October to December. The most anticipated project, “The Sandman: Overture,” a mini-series by Neil Gaiman, will begin on Oct. 30.
    Although “Sandman,” which began in the late ’80s, predates the imprint, it was branded as a Vertigo book in 1993 and became one of its biggest successes: a perennial seller of collected editions, critically beloved, winner of multiple awards. “Sandman” helped shape the career of Mr. Gaiman, who seems to write in every form these days, including fantasy novels, screenplays and television scripts; his most recent novel, “The Ocean at the End of the Lane,” was published by William Morrow in June.

“The most peculiar thing for me about returning to ‘Sandman’ is how familiar it all feels,” Mr. Gaiman said. What is new, however, is the level of attention. “When I was writing ‘Sandman’ from 1987 to 1996, I never had the feeling at any point that approximately 50 million people were looking over my shoulder scrutinizing ever word.” (Mr. Gaiman has about two million followers on Twitter.)

For the six-issue “The Sandman: Overture,” Mr. Gaiman has been paired with J.H. Williams III, an illustrator known for his moody imagery and innovative page layouts. “They are the most beautiful pages I have ever seen in periodical comics,” Mr. Gaiman said. “I ask him to do the impossible, and he gives me back more than I asked for.”

The series will be published every other month and will alternate with a special edition of each issue, which will include more of the artwork (because of translucent word balloons developed by the letterer Todd Klein), as well as behind-the-scenes commentary and character sketches.
    Hypo
    Lil' Leaguer
    Last edited by Hypo; 07-01-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Comment

Dave McKean’s Returned to Sandman

Neil Gaiman and JH William III‘s prelude series Sandman: The Overture is likely going to be a very big presence over the next few months, but one of the most exciting parts of their revival of Gaiman’s classic Vertigo series is that original cover artist Dave McKean will be returning for a new run.

True to form, McKean’s cover for issue #1 has just been released via Entertainment Weekly, and it’s an absolute belter. It’s been ten years since McKean’s touched the character, but clearly that hasn’t dulled his edge.

The miniseries starts up in October. As Gaiman notes in the EW piece:

There is something special about Dave McKean that makes it feel real. I get the same thrill I got 25 years ago seeing his covers…

Comment

Fuck yeah. I will only be buying the McKean covers. Back in the day Sandman didn't do variants. Now I have to be careful and check which version they put in my folder every issue. To me, it's got to be a McKean cover to be a real Sandman issue.

Comment

SDCC: GAIMAN LOOKS BACK FOR THE "SANDMAN" 25TH ANNIVERSARY

Comment

The Sandman: Overture #2 Variant Cover by J.H. Williams III

Comment

“It Was A Small Planet Called Earth” – The Beginning Of Sandman Overture

Comment

I am SO looking forward to this. The new Sandman mini series is looking to be a bright spot on my dim and shrinking pull list.

Comment

Neil Gaiman Resurrects 'The Sandman'

Comment

Tomorrow!

Comment

http://www.comixology.com/The-Sandma...al-comic/48335
                        4.99$? What the hell?

How many pages will it have? 50? Are the floppies the same price?

Comment

I guess I'll wait to get this in trade because I've only read Sandman through vol. 3. I need to catch up first.

Comment

I'll probably get both. Maybe. I don't know. I want to read it. Right NOW!!! Maybe I'll pirate the floppies and just buy the trade? I need this!

The next comic shop that still has US floppies is in Düsseldorf which is like an hours drive away. Fuck this shit!

Comment

Well, it's not a matter of which I want to have. If I were caught up with the story it would be the floppies, but I assume there's a lot of continuity I need first.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                                Well, it's not a matter of which I want to have. If I were caught up with the story it would be the floppies, but I assume there's a lot of continuity I need first.
                                Outside of the last Volume of Sandman, any Sandman graphic novel can be read in any order. and this one is a prequel to the first graphic novel. So Dive right in.

Comment

Working...
                                X