The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default The Dark Horse Thread

'cause Dark Horse has some cool shit.

Francesco Francavilla Unleashes "The Black Beetle" in "Dark Horse Presents" #11
Quote:
Adding an exciting new layer to Dark Horse Presents, Dark Horse Comics is proud to announce a new three-part story by New York Times best-selling artist for Batman, and current Captain America artist, Francesco Francavilla: The Black Beetle!

The Black Beetle is centered on a pulp-noir character and takes place in a fictional universe that’s based in Colt City. Francavilla published several stories online and even put out an ashcan. When the ashcan sold out, Francesco quickly realized that many fans were interested in exploring this world with him. It was only a matter of time before Dark Horse approached him about bringing some Black Beetle tales to Dark Horse Presents!

“I’m working on a 24-page story, titled ‘Night Shift’ that will be spread over three issues of Dark Horse Presents. I am hugely influenced by pulp stories of the ‘30s and ‘40s, and wanted to develop a series that used that influence as a jumping-off point to explore some modern storytelling with fun twists. I think this will be a great introduction to readers who are new to this character and universe, but will also be an exciting new adventure for those who’ve been reading the online stories over the years,” Francesco states.

“As a huge fan of pulp and noir, working on my own characters and stories really gives me free reign to explore this world and create lots of fun scenarios and thrilling situations. The stories are definitely full of mystery and intrigue, plus I get to give The Black Beetle lots of cool and funky gadgets. ‘Night Shift’ promises to be full of action, excitement, danger, and double-crosses, so I am overjoyed to see this new tale in print, and hope this is the first of many more to come in Dark Horse Presents.”

For more on Francesco Francavilla’s art, check out his official website, www.francescofrancavilla.com, and his pulp blog, http://pulpsunday.blogspot.com.

via CBR

"Dark Horse Presents" Adds John Arcudi's "The Creep"

Quote:
With another incredible addition to the increasingly impressive lineup, Dark Horse Comics will publish John Arcudi’s three-part suicide mystery, The Creep, beginning in Dark Horse Presents #11!

In the summer of 1987, a young teenage boy commits suicide. The boy’s mother is unsatisfied with the police’s lack of interest in the motivation behind it, or what connection it might have to the suicide of the boy’s former best friend. She remembers that she heard an old college boyfriend of hers, Oxel, is a private detective. What she doesn’t know is Oxel suffers from a debilitating condition called acromegaly. Will the contact from his old flame be all that Oxel needs to take the case?

“Murder mysteries are common in suspense fiction, but you don’t hear much about suicide mysteries. Oxel starts to wonder if maybe he was hired to help this woman solve the riddle of her life more than that of her son’s death. But then, in the end, it turns out that this really is a suicide mystery, after all. And add to all that the additional layer of this ex-girlfriend knowing nothing about Oxel’s disfiguring illness, since she hasn't seen him in 20 years,” Arcudi says. “And after seeing Jonathan’s Dear Creature, it struck me that he was perfect for The Creep and we were lucky to get him.”

“I’m very pleased to be working with Dark Horse again and a comics vet like John. We’re just getting into the swing of things, but I already have a lot of interesting material to draw. Since I’ll be coloring The Creep, it’s also a good chance to stretch myself artistically (most of my comics have been straight black and white). The fact that I get to do that in service of a good writer is icing on the cake.” – Jonathan Case

Dark Horse Presents #11 is on sale April 18th, 2012!
via CBR

SNEAK PEEK: Dark Horse Comics for December 28, 2011
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Conan the Barbarian #1 by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan
Old 12-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Can we just merge this with the Hellboy thread?
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Nah.

I'm still waiting for Darkhorse to publish their The Thing: The Northman Nightmare oneshot in print form. It currently only exists on digital format, and it's irritating as hell. I want a copy I can hold in my hands!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Horse Promotes Matt Parkinson to Senior Director of Marketing
Old 12-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Horse Presents #8 Preview

Quote:
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #8

John Arcudi (W), Brian Wood (W/Variant cover), Howard Chaykin (W/A), Neal Adams (W/A), Andi Watson (W/A), Al Gordon (W), MJ Butler (W), Beau Smith (W), Duncan Fegredo (A/Cover), Geof Darrow (A), Kristian Donaldson (A/Variant cover), Thomas Yeates (A), Mark Wheatley (A), Eduardo Barreto (A)

On sale Jan 18
FC, 80 pages
$7.99
Ongoing

A brand-new B.P.R.D. story, the beginning of Brian Wood and Kristian Donaldson’s The Massive, new Skeleton Key, and the conclusion of Howard Chaykin’s Marked Man?

Join the legendary anthology as Dark Horse Presents commemorates the 100th Anniversary of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan with Thomas Yeates, unravels the mysteries surrounding Neal Adams’s Blood, and brings you another heaping collection of great comics!

• Brand-new B.P.R.D., the conclusion of Chaykin’s Marked Man and more!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Old 01-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
myuserid
Lantern Hex

I may pick up DHP #8 for that Brian Wood story.

Is that going to be an ongoing? Could be pretty good.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
I may pick up DHP #8 for that Brian Wood story.

Is that going to be an ongoing? Could be pretty good.
At the moment it's only scheduled to run through DHP #8-10, though Wood has mentioned that he would be interested in continuing it afterwards. More info: CCI EXCLUSIVE: Brian Wood Reveals "The Massive"
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
an environmental disaster has radically altered life on Earth, leaving a group of surviving activists to question where they go from here.
Ugh, sounds like it's going to be green preachy.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Conan the Barbarian #3 Cover by Massimo Carnevale

Conan the Barbarian #3 Variant Cover by John Paul Leon
Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Horse Presents #8 Preview

Quote:
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #8

John Arcudi (W), Brian Wood (W/Variant cover), Howard Chaykin (W/A), Neal Adams (W/A), Andi Watson (W/A), Al Gordon (W), MJ Butler (W), Beau Smith (W), Duncan Fegredo (A/Cover), Geof Darrow (A), Kristian Donaldson (A/Variant cover), Thomas Yeates (A), Mark Wheatley (A), Eduardo Barreto (A)

On sale Jan 18
FC, 80 pages
$7.99
Ongoing

A brand-new B.P.R.D. story, the beginning of Brian Wood and Kristian Donaldson’s The Massive, new Skeleton Key, and the conclusion of Howard Chaykin’s Marked Man?

Join the legendary anthology as Dark Horse Presents commemorates the 100th Anniversary of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan with Thomas Yeates, unravels the mysteries surrounding Neal Adams’s Blood, and brings you another heaping collection of great comics!

• Brand-new B.P.R.D., the conclusion of Chaykin’s Marked Man and more!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #13
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for April, 2012
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Horse Presents #11 Cover
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Interview: Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan on Conan
Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Niles and Menton3 Wage "Nosferatu Wars" at Dark Horse
Quote:
This week, "30 Days of Night" creator Steve Niles took to Twitter to post an intriguing teaser image by artist Menton3. Titled "The Nosferatu Wars," nothing else was revealed about the project -- until now.

Steve Niles has a new vampire story to share unlike any other and it's premiering in <="" a=""> premiere anthology title, "Dark Horse Presents." Created by Niles and Menton3, "The Nosferatu Wars" follows the story of a vampire couple separated through five hundred years of history only to meet again in the modern day during a war between two factions of vampires. The four-part story of the as-yet-unnamed vampire couple begins during the Black Plague, a time Niles describes as "Heaven on Earth for the undead."

Niles took some time to speak with CBR News about the upcoming stories in "Dark Horse Presents," revealing details on concept, character, collaboration with series artist Menton3 and his thoughts on the horror genre of comics.

CBR News: Steve, what's the concept behind "The Nosferatu Wars?"

Steve Niles:Well the really quick thing, because everybody's going to think, "Oh no, he's doing vampires again," is yes, I am doing vampires again. I've always viewed that as kind of a silly comment anyway, because I'm in a world where everyone else does superheroes. Really, what I want to do with the vampire thing is, one, the story focuses on the vampires themselves and it takes place in three different time periods, but I can only tell you about one. The depth of the story takes place during the Black Plague, which was basically Heaven on Earth for the undead. They could hunt at will and it would be blamed on the plague. All of the rich were hiding in their homes, like little meals waiting for them every night. It was just a perfect time. Then, an event happens that separates the vampire couple that we're focusing on for 500 years. The story focuses on what happens while they're separated and trying to find each other. It turns out, as we find out, they meet each other in modern day. The twist of how they are separated and how one of them goes missing for 500 years is really what we're holding close to the chest right now.
Quote:
How much of this couple's backstory will you be delving into? Will we get to see what initially turned them into vampires?

That's one thing I definitely don't want to do. I don't want to spend a lot of time talking about what vampires are or how they are. We all pretty much get the mechanism, you know? I'm not planning on adding anything new. They're not going to be able to walk in the daylight or anything like that. In a way, I'm going to be dealing with fairly traditional vampires, so how they came to be what they are isn't a problem. Because of the plague, these aren't your typical angsty vampires. They don't really -- especially these two -- hate their existence. They're enjoying it. The onset of the Black Death saw an abrupt end to anybody hunting them, even knowing they exist. They basically had free run of the planet for the first time in history. So, I'm going to be mainly focused on these two characters. I haven't named them yet.

You're collaborating with Menton Matthews III (better known as Menton3) for "The Nosferatu Wars." Why is his art style the right fit for the story you're telling?

Well, you couldn't get much darker or more gothic looking. He's very experimental, but at the same time, he's not locked to his computer. I love when I talk to Menton on Skype -- behind him is a wall of the exact paintings that he just sent me. He really likes to push the limits of things, and I really enjoy that, too. Especially for something like this, that has such potential for unbelievably -- and this is speaking as a horror guy -- unbelievably cool imagery. I'm sorry, two vampires in love during the Black Plague, that's some gorgeous imagery to me. Menton is the artist who can really pull that off and also pull off some of the strange places this story is going to go.

You'd been posting updates on Twitter saying how interested you were in writing vampires. Why do you think they continue to be compelling as a storytelling device?

It's funny, because I'm doing the regular "30 Days of Night" series again and I really think I got a pretty good break there, for a while. I got a five-year break. The thing is, I was talking to Menton about this, how come we can come up with endless vampire stories? They're great characters, especially if you like writing horror. Again, I cite that the rest of the comic industry has figured out how to build shelves with stories about people in costumes fighting crime. So, riffing on the undead -- it's the same thing with Frankenstein stories. I think what really got me going was really starting to do the "30 Days of Night" ongoing series, because I got rid of all the original characters, except for a few key people, and just started fresh. I realized I was having fun again. The way things work with Menton is, we get on the phone and we start talking. I had this fragment of an idea of vampires in love during the Black Plague with this little twist at the end of the chapter, and he just loved it.

The book focuses on this relationship between this vampire couple, but the title is "The Nosferatu Wars." Does that mean we can expect to see a knock-down, drag-out fight between vampires?

Well, what I can say is, when the two are reunited, they find themselves on different sides of a war. After searching for each other for so long, they find out they're enemies and they don't even know it.

Wow. That almost adds to the tragedy.

Exactly. The war is this little underground war that's been happening for thousands of years and has finally boiled over to the surface. They're going to settle once and for all who's going to be running things -- and humans are stuck in the middle. That was the one really funny part about writing this. When Menton and I were talking about it, we never even brought up humans! We're really very different with the "30 Days of Night" stuff, where I definitely focus on humans and human reaction and how terrible it is to be a vampire. It's almost the exact opposite, here. So far, except for a landscape of bodies and the black death doctors, we don't see very many humans for a while.
Quote:
Vampires have been enjoying quite a bit of prominence in popular culture of late thanks to books like "Twilight," but it almost seems as though, as vampires have become more popular in the mainstream, vampire comics have gotten far darker -- both with your own "30 Days of Night" and books like "I, Vampire." Will "The Nosferatu Wars" take the concept of the pop-culture vampire and turn it on its head?

That is the twist. There's a third element here that I'm not bringing up that is basically how the female disappears. Her disappearance and who takes her and what they do to her is what I'm doing to change it. It will be so apparent how Menton and I are turning this thing on its head. There are things I didn't get to do in "30 Days of Night" that I really wanted to do, or didn't get to do in "Criminal Macabre" that I really wanted to do. It's always hard for me to say, "I'm going to do this." It's always dangerous to say you're going to revolutionize anything iconic. I feel like we've got a really good story here, and because it takes place over three huge eras, I think it's going to be really interesting -- and because it's Menton, it's going to be beautiful.

I'm buddies with Josh [Fialkov] who does "I, Vampire," and the one thing I was most impressed with wa,s he proved you can have the romance that so many people crave with the vampire genre without having to go cheeseball, without having to turn it into a melodrama. In that way, I think there's a lot of ways that we can still play with the modern vampire myth without cheesing it out. I'm not knocking any specific aspect of it; it's a natural tendency of humans to tame our monsters. I've always said this. You start with Dracula, you end up with Count Chocula. It's just what we do. We tame the things that scare us. So, this swing back to darker vampires is something that makes me very, very happy. I hope it leaks from comics back onto the screen.

Can we assume "The Nosferatu Wars" will be on par with the darkness inherent in your "30 Days of Night" ongoing series?

[Laughs] At least until people read up until issue #6. I don't know if people will forgive me for what I'm doing in "30 Days of Night." It's pretty gristly in there. I would probably say what I'm going to be doing for "Nosferatu Wars" is going to be a lot more straightforward as far as it being a horror book. There's not going to be a lot of laughs. I tend to take things pretty loose sometimes with "Criminal Macabre" and stuff like that; this isn't going to be any of that. It's going to be dead, dead serious. People are going to be really surprised. At the very least, they're going to be blown away by Menton's unbelievable imagery.

How many chapters of "The Nosferatu Wars" do you have planned for "Dark Horse Presents?"

I have at least enough, right now, on paper, to do four [chapters]. If it's a success and we can go to a series, that'd be cool, but the beauty of "Dark Horse Presents" is that Menton and I can both afford to do it while we're working on other things. We can keep it going for a long time. In general, I had a good sit down with Dark Horse and [Dark Horse President Mike] Richardson and [Editor] Scott Allie -- we're going to be testing a lot of material through there and seeing what sticks while we continue to do "Criminal Macabre."

Beyond "The Nosferatu Wars," what's on the horizon for you?

I'm hopefully going to have some news about one more series at one more publisher, but at this point in time, today, right now, I'm 100% creator-owned. I can't say it was all intentional, but that was one of my goals for the New Year -- to try and focus on creator-owned. I think it's a really important, hugely viable part of comics and it think it is our answer to growth and finding a new audience. We've given superheroes a chance -- the mainstream is just not interested. They want the movies, they're not going to go to the comic stores. But we can get them reading horror and westerns. I'm so excited about what they're doing at Image right now. I love the ads they put out with Brubaker and the books he's doing. I think they just announced two more. Between IDW, Image and Dark Horse, I think there's going to be an assault of great material in the next year.

via CBR
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Man, I want to read that story, but not buy a fucking 8 dollar Anthology. Eff That noise.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I've only read 3 of the stories in DHP #8 (Hellboy, Beasts of Burden, and The Massive) but I'm already satisfied. I'll look through the rest of the book later but those 3 made it worth the purchase in my book.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #19
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Horse Brings Díaz Canales and Guarnido's "Blacksad" Back

Quote:
Eisner and Harvey Award–winning duo Juan Díaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido are back with another incredible tale to shock and awe crime-fiction fans and comics-art aficionados alike!

Detective John Blacksad returns, with a new case that takes him to a 1950s New Orleans filled with hot jazz and cold-blooded murder! Hired to discover the fate of a celebrated pianist, Blacksad finds his most dangerous mystery yet in the midst of drugs, voodoo, the rollicking atmosphere of Mardi Gras, and the dark underbelly that it hides!

Dark Horse’s Blacksad collection is already in its fourth printing, with 20,000 copies sold. Artist Juanjo Guarnido was voted the winner of the 2011 Eisner Award for Best Painter, and Blacksad Volume 1 won the Harvey Award for Best American Edition of Foreign Material.

"A lovingly crafted homage to the Hammett-Chandler chestnuts of old . . . and Guarnido’s watercolor panels feel like the unearthed film-noir storyboards of a master…A."—Entertainment Weekly

Blacksad: A Silent Hell features an extensive making-of section, with tons of prelim sketches and watercolor studies, written by artist Juanjo Guarnido! This volume also includes two never-before-collected Blacksad short stories!

Blacksad: A Silent Hell is on sale July 11, 2012.
via CBR

Conan the Barbarian #1 Preview

Quote:
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #1 (BECKY CLOONAN VARIANT COVER)
Writer: Brian Wood
Artist: Becky Cloonan
Colorist: Dave Stewart
Cover Artist: Becky Cloonan

In this sweeping adaptation of Robert E. Howard’s fan-favorite “Queen of the Black Coast,” Conan turns his back on the civilized world and takes to the high seas alongside the pirate queen Bêlit, setting the stage for an epic of romance, terror, and swashbuckling. This is Conan as you’ve never seen him, with the combination of one of Robert E. Howard’s greatest tales and the most dynamic creative team in comics!

* A perfect jumping-on point for new readers!
*A bold, fresh take on the Cimmerian.
* “Queen of the Black Coast” is the most-requested Conan adaptation!

Last edited by Hypo; 02-07-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Nah.

I'm still waiting for Darkhorse to publish their The Thing: The Northman Nightmare oneshot in print form. It currently only exists on digital format, and it's irritating as hell. I want a copy I can hold in my hands!
ANY word on this book seeing the light of day?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #21
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
ANY word on this book seeing the light of day?
Haven't heard a thing about it.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Fuckers...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for May, 2012

THE COMMENTARY TRACK: Brian Wood's "Conan the Barbarian" #1

Did anyone pick up Conan? I'd never read any of the Conan stuff before and I enjoyed it.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi #1 Preview

Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #25
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Are the Star Wars comics any good?