The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Kilowog
Kyle's Nude Model

Default Geoff Johns

Sorry if this subject has been discussed before, but I'm new here and after some searching, I didn't find it, so here it is :

I often see people complaining about Johns, and I'm a "new" GL reader (started in blackest night). I admit my background is mostly marvel, and they have Bendis. I don't want to make a VS thread, but I understand all the complaints about Bendis and it's clear he disrespect his fans and continuity, and I'm the first to hope he'll stop polluting the comic industry, but Johns ?

Why do people seem to hate him so much ? I really liked what I read from him, and he's so better than Bendis and than a great bunch of writers also IMO. Please help me understand.
Kilowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Bendis doesn't skullf*ck my childhood like Johns does.

All my memories are pregnant.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Let me put it this way, Kilowog:

Geoff Johns rewrites so much continuity (of virtually every book DC publishes) that we might was well start saying as fact that he invented DC altogether.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilowog View Post
Sorry if this subject has been discussed before, but I'm new here and after some searching, I didn't find it, so here it is :

I often see people complaining about Johns, and I'm a "new" GL reader (started in blackest night). I admit my background is mostly marvel, and they have Bendis. I don't want to make a VS thread, but I understand all the complaints about Bendis and it's clear he disrespect his fans and continuity, and I'm the first to hope he'll stop polluting the comic industry, but Johns ?

Why do people seem to hate him so much ? I really liked what I read from him, and he's so better than Bendis and than a great bunch of writers also IMO. Please help me understand.
The bitching mainly stems from older fans who hate that their "continuity" no longer exists.

and Bendis does not disrespect his fans. I've actually met the man and he's awesome and down to earth, same with Johns. Johns gave me a doughnut
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

i like johns but i do have some issues with some of his stuff

i admit im not a long time reader like alot of people on the board are

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Let me put it this way:

Geoff "Yellow Bug" Johns.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
Let me put it this way:

Geoff "Yellow Bug" Johns.
Let's face doing what they did to Hal was bullshit in ET.

Geoff Johns brought more readers to GL than any other writer before him.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
and Bendis does not disrespect his fans. I've actually met the man and he's awesome and down to earth, same with Johns. Johns gave me a doughnut
I'm sure people said the same thing about Warren G. Harding.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Problems, or atleast mine, actually started around Blackest Night. Seems like the events he creates always has to have a foreshadowing and a character who is possessed in some way. Then there's the villains that always has to be changed. Black Hand, Nekron, and Krona are a bit different to completely different than who they used to be, and not because they evolved or changed, but because their original versions didn't quite fit Geoff's plots, and instead of finding ways to tell a story of how they changed their goals, or creating a new character not based on the past, he just ups and bastardize them. The first story of Nekron was more unique than Geoff's, and the continued story of Krona had cosmic gold that now will be forever lost.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

I've been a huge fan of Johns since Rebirth but to me his writting on GL started to go downhill at the end of War Of The Green Lanterns. And then when the relaunch happened he lost me completelly, simply put the current GL book is a shell of what the book was during Volume 4 and I can't figure out why he thought this was the right direction to go in after all the success of the past 6 years. I still see the old Geoff Johns in Aquaman which is a great book, but in both GL and JLA I have no idea who that guy is and why the books which should be great reads both are horrible.
Raker616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilowog View Post
Is this because of my welcome post? I just wanted to give you a heads up. You would've come across this after a bit.

I'm somewhere in between: Geoff Johns is neither the best nor worst thing to happen to comics, imho.

The "problem" is that he does extensive retcons (which he freely admits, btw) and then justifies his further actions by them. This is so common that around here we call them Geoffcons. For instance, Sinestro used to be a crooked GL that became a mass murderer. Johns tones that down and makes him the greatest GL ever so he could make him a GL again and say "see, he's redeemable, he's really a good lantern." Several of us fear he is doing the same thing to the Guardians of the Universe. They were always detached and a little jerky, but now they're becoming outright villains. We think he might (don't know for sure yet) get rid of them and then say "look, they were always villains, you don't want them around." There are many more things like this. The detractors will say he's ruining classic Green Lantern and the fans will say he's revitalizing it for this century. It's up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I'm sure people said the same thing about Warren G. Harding.
Warren G. Harding gave out donuts?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

In his first several years, Johns was an excellent superhero comic book writer. He was a fanboy; kind of our guy on the inside, righting wrongs, and fixing mistakes by previous creative teams. In JSA he brought Extant to justice, fixed Hawkman, and saved Rex Tyler.

Sometime after the SCW (and honestly, before that), his focus became less on good storytelling, and more on event and plot driven stories. I'd now firmly call Geoff Johns the Michael Bay of comics...who also uses a shitload of unnecessary retcons.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Tommy Boy
Hal's Understudy

Geoff Johns : Michael Bay :: Retcons : Explosions
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

I actully don't mind Johns. I hate retcons, but the actual storys are good. And why everyone hates the "Hal got infected by a yellow bug" realy pussles me. I like the whole concept of emotional entitys and just like Ion currently has a host, I want parallax to own a host!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
This should actually be Geoff:Retcons :: Michael Bay:Explosions
Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Or the first line in my signature...
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

LOL true but there'd be no Starks left by now.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Oh, for the love of Aphrodite, it goes like this:

Geoff Johns : Michael Bay :: Retcons : Explosions : Naked Women : Bullets
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
gamerajon
Weaponer of Qward

I liked what Geoff Johns brought to the table at first in Gl, but now the man needs thrown off the title... nothing makes since and he keeps chanhing shit!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
In his first several years, Johns was an excellent superhero comic book writer. He was a fanboy; kind of our guy on the inside, righting wrongs, and fixing mistakes by previous creative teams. In JSA he brought Extant to justice, fixed Hawkman, and saved Rex Tyler.

Sometime after the SCW (and honestly, before that), his focus became less on good storytelling, and more on event and plot driven stories. I'd now firmly call Geoff Johns the Michael Bay of comics...who also uses a shitload of unnecessary retcons.
Geoff retcons his own stories, some times just 2 or 3 issues later which which spawnned this new word Geoffcon

my main beef is that he ends up pushing Tomasi one of the best character writers DC has to do big event stuff and Tomasi's skill at diving into character is lost....

some of my favorite scenes in Kyles run where the guys hanging out a Warriors shooting the breeze. not big giant battles, there can't be a huge battel every day of the week
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #21
Zander Yurami
Fear is Power

I like Johns. Hell, I LOVED Blackest Night. I just havent liked most of the stuff after that. Brightest Day was a huge let down.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

I blame the fact that I couldn't give a rat's ass about Green Lantern on Johns. Been over a year since I've been trying to get into the damn book and there hasn't been a good story yet.

And it's not like I need complexity in my comics. I mean, I'm loving Uncanny X-Force for crying out loud. Just...give me something to care about, Johns.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

The better question is... what's not wrong?

The entire GL corner has been locked into Event Mode since the first issue of the Sinestro Corps War with no reverse gears. If there are "story arcs" anymore, he seems to mandate that they must somehow tie into the "bigger story" that ultimately becomes the Next Big Event, the endings of which invariably all end with a circle-jerk of a "To be continued/concluded... in the NEXT, Next Big Event... maybe!"

He's both GL's biggest savior and its biggest enemy. It's a strange thing, but I think it's time for him to let the reins go and I'm eager to see what the next creative team will bring to the table.

He's gotten a bit better about splash pages and issues that only take 2 minutes to read, but not much.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
Corwin
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

While I do admit Brightest Day was a let down for the most part I'd say Johns is still in my good graces. If there was one complaint I'd have about his run it would be how quickly we lost the different interactions between the different color Corps. i.e. Blue Rings drains Yellow...etc.

And I love Bendis. Even his talky talky issues. I will admit there are times when his issues start to fall into a bit of a lull and right when I think I'm ready to bail he does something to pull me back in.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #25
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

Well I would prefer Judd writes on Gl alittle more when u mixed alittle action of what's to come in the near future and some space for the lanterns say a date or family stories? What about telling a short story of some of the lanterns past?! That would be cool! Guess as a fan Of Gl books I would want more of Characters, personal life events than a rushed mainevent? It would be a Change To the Gl universe if Geoff leaves and make Gl books as nice to read as batman! Hal is the main star of Gl books with Sinestro taking over of the driver seat, isit time to write a guess star storyline with Hal or other lanterns say John and teen titans? In a 5 part event?! I think it has his wow factor! Please write John not just a military guy, his got attitude and a good stategy leader! Hopes someone can write him stronger and not weak after his trial?! Or play switch roles and put Hal and Sin in Oa and let Tomasi write a story arc on them? Geoff writes Guy, John and Kyle for a stroy arc?! That seems fun read!

Last edited by A_Q Lantern; 05-25-2012 at 01:53 AM.
A_Q Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote