The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #11051
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard
 
Lantern54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,013
Default

Heeeey, Ryan just lied. He said he gave away both rings, one to his nephew Riley and one to a little kid at Comic Con. Didn't he actually give one to a guy who had a piece of paper underneath his chair at Comic Con?
__________________


Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #11052
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
Heeeey, Ryan just lied. He said he gave away both rings, one to his nephew Riley and one to a little kid at Comic Con. Didn't he actually give one to a guy who had a piece of paper underneath his chair at Comic Con?
i think thats what he meant dude.


the paper thing was at a comic con
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:05 AM   #11053
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard
 
Lantern54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
i think thats what he meant dude.


the paper thing was at a comic con
Yes but the one who had the paper under his chair was not a kid. I bet he gave it to the kid that asked him to say the oath instead.
__________________


Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #11054
Xum
Kyle's Nude Model
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
Yes but the one who had the paper under his chair was not a kid. I bet he gave it to the kid that asked him to say the oath instead.
With the consent of the guy who had the paper, yes...

Xum
Xum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #11055
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

damn blake livley looks sexy as hell
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #11056
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

woa that voice hector has was creepy!
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #11057
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

ok this guy admited he only read 2 gl books and one of them had superman.....




+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #11058
bwayne850
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey guys...just got back from a special screening of Green Lantern. It was awesome!!!!
I'm not sure why the idiot crtics over at Rotten Tomatoes have given it a lackluster grade. See it for yourself! You won't be disappointed. Critics "opinions' are like A-holes, everyone's got one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #11059
Muthasucka
Parallax Host
 
Muthasucka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwayne850 View Post
Critics "opinions' are like A-holes, everyone's got one.
Critics are A-holes. Their opinions are the shit that comes out of them.
Muthasucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #11060
bwayne850
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah, critics are morons...what gets me is there is nothing wrong with the movie....Reynolds is perfect as Hal and there is really no cheese factor to this movie. The CGI is impecable....the action flows. There is jumping back and forth...(which was a gripe from one of the critics) The jumping back and forth is easy to follow, unless you're a 1st grader like some of the critics on RT. A+++++
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #11061
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwayne850 View Post
Hey guys...just got back from a special screening of Green Lantern. It was awesome!!!!
I'm not sure why the idiot crtics over at Rotten Tomatoes have given it a lackluster grade. See it for yourself! You won't be disappointed. Critics "opinions' are like A-holes, everyone's got one.
thanks for the update dude
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #11062
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard
 
Lantern54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,013
Default

To all of you who have watched it, how was the 3D?
__________________


Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #11063
bwayne850
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

The 3D is good! Better than the 3D for Thor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #11064
GL74
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default GREEN LANTERN REVIEW: NON-SPOILERS, THEN SPOILERS

OK, just got back from the Miami showing of GL. This is going to be a lengthy review, with some discussion concerning what I brought into the movie as a lifelong GL fan, so please excuse the length. Also, some minor spoilers, so please consider yourselves forewarned.

First, some background. I've been a lifelong GL fan. Blame it on the Superfriends. While everybody else wanted to be Batman, Superman, or, Heaven forbid, Aquaman, I loved the idea that there existed a magical ring that could make your wishes come true (well, your green-hued wishes, anyway).

Since Hal Jordan was the GL I grew up with, he was my favorite. He was a bad-ass fighter pilot. He had a rich, sassy girlfriend who gave as good as she got and was not adverse to dressing up in slinky pink outfits. And he had brothers who were, if this is possible to believe, even bigger pains in the ass than my own.

Then Hal became a drunk. An insurance salesman. A guy who fell in love with a teenager. And then quit the Corps. None of this squared with my original vision of the guy. I started losing interest in the character. Then they turned him into (a) a megalomaniac (b) a corpse and (c) a ghost. Yup. Time for me to jump off the ship.

Then came REBIRTH. I know it's been en vogue lately to write off Geoff Johns's efforts with the character, but what I love about the work Geoff has done is the following: He brought back the Hal Jordan I knew and loved. A Hal who was more conflicted, and had a past to overcome, but in the end, was a real hero. Some may call him 2-dimensional, oversimplified, an analog guy in a digital age, but you know what--I was okay with that.

And that's what I loved about the GREEN LANTERN movie.

GREEN LANTERN works as a callback to an age where heroes were not as tormented, where wonder still exists in the world, and where the good guy is not afraid to end up with the girl. Don't get me wrong: there is still self-doubt, things are not easily accomplished, and there is failure, but in the end, all is well.

Now for some specifics:

-The acting is top-notch. Ryan Reynolds is a great Hal Jordan. Some reviews have accused him of suffering from a lack of gravitas, but Hal is not Bruce Wayne. Others have accused him of a lack of comedic timing, but Hal is not the typical RR character. He's a guy who will use humor as a defense mechanism, but is not seeking to bring the funny.

Blake Lively surprised me. She more than held her own. There's a scene with her and Reynolds in a bar that demonstrates that these two have history, a complicated and rich history which serves the story well. And she's quite easy on the eyes

Saarsgard is good, if underused. Indeed, I don't think they went far enough with him as a character. The real Hammond is a creepy sumbitch--not enough jealousy in Saarsgard's role, but I blame the screenwriter(s).

(If anything, that might be my main complaint for the film. The screenplay did not go far enough. Hammond needed a few more moments. If they were going to play him and Jordan as long-time acquaintances, that should have been played up more. Instead, it's a throwaway, one that robs what could have been several powerful scenes of the poignancy that could have led to a large emotional payoff.)

Mark Strong lives up to his name. When has he ever not? We could have used much more of him. And much less of Tom, who is, to put it kindly, a bit of a d-bag.

My main complaints with the film:

--Rough opening. When you start off with, what will be for many, a nonsensical exposition, you start off on the wrong foot.

--Too long to get to Hal Jordan. The audience founders without having a focal point for the first ten minutes.

--The editing left something to be desired. A strong fighter jet scene gets completely undercut by the insertion of a flashback that robbed it of all narrative tension.

--The strongest part is the middle. Sadly, it is so good that it somewhat undercuts what follows.

--Hated Tom.

--There were some narrative jumps that made little, if any, sense. I'm talking about the scene that concludes the training montage, and what happens subsequent to that.

The good:

--The characters rocked. All had their moments. Except Tom.

--The dialogue was pretty good--spot-on in some sections. One of the funniest lines I've heard in ANY superhero film was in this. Be on the lookout. It involves cheekbones.

--Oa. Wow. The rest of the movie suffers by comparison. These scenes make it well-worth the 3-d. The effects were outstanding, and I think having RR do all that wirework really paid off.

--I loved the way they set up the way that others viewed Hal. Everyone seems to be pulling for him, even as they don't understand why he feels the need to sabotage himself. It's almost as if everybody loves the Hal but Hal himself, even if they do get sick of him on a (regular) basis.

--The Corps was awesome. They needed more dialogue, though.

This will be a movie that I predict many of you will love. Is it perfect? No. Will your kids love it? Absolutely. Should you see it in 3-D? If you ever wanted to fly through Oa with a giant fish-guy named Tomar-Re as your guide? Absolutely.

And that post-credit scene alone is worth the price of admission, especially for the Johns-era fans.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #11065
JayJayCAW
Parallax Host
 
JayJayCAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 916
Default

*holds up new movie Lantern with Ring*..........soon.......soon lol
__________________
JayJayCAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #11066
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,496
Default

Thanks for the review GL74. Much appreciated!

I was invited to a free midnight screening at my local theater with some guys from my local comic shop and theater employees. I had to politely pass because I want my first viewing on a big imax screen. I'm driving to a theater an hour and a half away just so I can see it right the first time. Plus I'm bringing my family and am looking forward to my son having the fun of dressing up as GL. So Friday afternoon for me.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #11067
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL74 View Post
OK, just got back from the Miami showing of GL. This is going to be a lengthy review, with some discussion concerning what I brought into the movie as a lifelong GL fan, so please excuse the length. Also, some minor spoilers, so please consider yourselves forewarned.

First, some background. I've been a lifelong GL fan. Blame it on the Superfriends. While everybody else wanted to be Batman, Superman, or, Heaven forbid, Aquaman, I loved the idea that there existed a magical ring that could make your wishes come true (well, your green-hued wishes, anyway).

Since Hal Jordan was the GL I grew up with, he was my favorite. He was a bad-ass fighter pilot. He had a rich, sassy girlfriend who gave as good as she got and was not adverse to dressing up in slinky pink outfits. And he had brothers who were, if this is possible to believe, even bigger pains in the ass than my own.

Then Hal became a drunk. An insurance salesman. A guy who fell in love with a teenager. And then quit the Corps. None of this squared with my original vision of the guy. I started losing interest in the character. Then they turned him into (a) a megalomaniac (b) a corpse and (c) a ghost. Yup. Time for me to jump off the ship.

Then came REBIRTH. I know it's been en vogue lately to write off Geoff Johns's efforts with the character, but what I love about the work Geoff has done is the following: He brought back the Hal Jordan I knew and loved. A Hal who was more conflicted, and had a past to overcome, but in the end, was a real hero. Some may call him 2-dimensional, oversimplified, an analog guy in a digital age, but you know what--I was okay with that.

And that's what I loved about the GREEN LANTERN movie.

GREEN LANTERN works as a callback to an age where heroes were not as tormented, where wonder still exists in the world, and where the good guy is not afraid to end up with the girl. Don't get me wrong: there is still self-doubt, things are not easily accomplished, and there is failure, but in the end, all is well.

Now for some specifics:

-The acting is top-notch. Ryan Reynolds is a great Hal Jordan. Some reviews have accused him of suffering from a lack of gravitas, but Hal is not Bruce Wayne. Others have accused him of a lack of comedic timing, but Hal is not the typical RR character. He's a guy who will use humor as a defense mechanism, but is not seeking to bring the funny.

Blake Lively surprised me. She more than held her own. There's a scene with her and Reynolds in a bar that demonstrates that these two have history, a complicated and rich history which serves the story well. And she's quite easy on the eyes

Saarsgard is good, if underused. Indeed, I don't think they went far enough with him as a character. The real Hammond is a creepy sumbitch--not enough jealousy in Saarsgard's role, but I blame the screenwriter(s).

(If anything, that might be my main complaint for the film. The screenplay did not go far enough. Hammond needed a few more moments. If they were going to play him and Jordan as long-time acquaintances, that should have been played up more. Instead, it's a throwaway, one that robs what could have been several powerful scenes of the poignancy that could have led to a large emotional payoff.)

Mark Strong lives up to his name. When has he ever not? We could have used much more of him. And much less of Tom, who is, to put it kindly, a bit of a d-bag.

My main complaints with the film:

--Rough opening. When you start off with, what will be for many, a nonsensical exposition, you start off on the wrong foot.

--Too long to get to Hal Jordan. The audience founders without having a focal point for the first ten minutes.

--The editing left something to be desired. A strong fighter jet scene gets completely undercut by the insertion of a flashback that robbed it of all narrative tension.

--The strongest part is the middle. Sadly, it is so good that it somewhat undercuts what follows.

--Hated Tom.

--There were some narrative jumps that made little, if any, sense. I'm talking about the scene that concludes the training montage, and what happens subsequent to that.

The good:

--The characters rocked. All had their moments. Except Tom.

--The dialogue was pretty good--spot-on in some sections. One of the funniest lines I've heard in ANY superhero film was in this. Be on the lookout. It involves cheekbones.

--Oa. Wow. The rest of the movie suffers by comparison. These scenes make it well-worth the 3-d. The effects were outstanding, and I think having RR do all that wirework really paid off.

--I loved the way they set up the way that others viewed Hal. Everyone seems to be pulling for him, even as they don't understand why he feels the need to sabotage himself. It's almost as if everybody loves the Hal but Hal himself, even if they do get sick of him on a (regular) basis.

--The Corps was awesome. They needed more dialogue, though.

This will be a movie that I predict many of you will love. Is it perfect? No. Will your kids love it? Absolutely. Should you see it in 3-D? If you ever wanted to fly through Oa with a giant fish-guy named Tomar-Re as your guide? Absolutely.

And that post-credit scene alone is worth the price of admission, especially for the Johns-era fans.
wow thanks.

now this is the type of guy who should do reviews because at least hell tell the pros and cons and not just focus on the editing

and in your opinion what would you grade this film?
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #11068
IonFan
Forum Member
 
IonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 20,208
Default

so theirs something after the credits?


sidenote that was the only part of that post that i read just want to make sure
__________________

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #11069
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
so theirs something after the credits?


sidenote that was the only part of that post that i read just want to make sure
yes and i know what it is.....


all ill say is nerdgasim
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #11070
IonFan
Forum Member
 
IonFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 20,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
yes and i know what it is.....


all ill say is nerdgasim
going to the midnight showing Thursday looks like i could be late to work Friday lol
__________________

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #11071
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
going to the midnight showing Thursday looks like i could be late to work Friday lol
yea i finally converted my cousin to go with me to the midnight showing.


im waiting to spring the after credits scene on him after the movie...
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #11072
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe
 
Ωmega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East TN
Posts: 12,298
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Can't wait to see this movie. 20 hours and 46 minutes and counting....

~KL~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 06-16-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #11073
HalJordan4ever
Kilowog's Recruit
 
HalJordan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Coast City: The City without Fear
Posts: 69
Default

Fuck the critics. I'm still there tomorrow night @ Midnight.

I'm guessing every superhero movie nowadays needs to be Dark and Gritty like the Batman movies...
HalJordan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #11074
ErikBauer
Sinestro's Sparring Partner
 
ErikBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 137
Default

Still more than 2 months away... Here in Italy it will be screened at the end of August...
ErikBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #11075
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe
 
TazzMission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordan4ever View Post
Fuck the critics. I'm still there tomorrow night @ Midnight.

I'm guessing every superhero movie nowadays needs to be Dark and Gritty like the Batman movies...
i think alot of these critics forget that movies are meant to be fun.


i love nolans batman franchise but i agree with what you just said and i think other people ( gl haters) need to realize that every superhero film is its own film and dosent need to be like the other one is.
__________________
.................................................. ..........................

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
movie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.